Bottlehead Crack, background humming noise?
Jan 10, 2014 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SNSDluv

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I recently bought a Bottlehead Crack and I paired it with Modi DAC. However, I can hear a slight humming noise coming out of the headphones (tried with my HD700 and UE900). Can anyone help me with this issue?
Thanks a lot! :)

Regads,
HC

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 11
Hi guys,

I recently bought a Bottlehead Crack and I paired it with Modi DAC. However, I can hear a slight humming noise coming out of the headphones (tried with my HD700 and UE900). Can anyone help me with this issue?
Thanks a lot!
smily_headphones1.gif

Regads,
HC

You should post this in the Bottlehead Crack thread.  That thread is totally dedicated to the Bottlehead Crack.

Bottom line, there are many things that can cause hum in a true tube amp.  There may be something just in the way the wire was routed that's causing it.

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 11
Or even better search the Crack thread on the Bottlehead forum..

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 11
Make sure all the solders on your output tube are clean and there's maximum clearance between wires. I had this issue when I first built mine but it went away after going back and separating the wires best I could.

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #9 of 11
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot!
smily_headphones1.gif

Regads,
HC

I didn't think those two headphones would work well with the crack.  The UE900 is only about 30ohms, and the HD700 150 ohms.  I was to the understanding that the Crack worked best with 250 and up.  I thought that caused noise but I just tried searching but I can't find where that causes humming, just distortion.

Oh well, I doubt that helped any.

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #10 of 11

I didn't think those two headphones would work well with the crack.  The UE900 is only about 30ohms, and the HD700 150 ohms.  I was to the understanding that the Crack worked best with 250 and up.  I thought that caused noise but I just tried searching but I can't find where that causes humming, just distortion.

My HE400s are addicted to  Crack
biggrin.gif
 more then my 880s (250omh) 

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 11

Crack works perfectly with HD700 :) It should just be anything from 150Ohm and higher. I remember somebody pointing out that the sweet spot for Crack is actually 150Ohms.. I think it's the HD700 review on Headfonia. 

And I figured out the noise now, it is due to my computer distortion. I put a wooden block between the two and the noise is gone, can't even hear any noise with my 16ohms headphones :p

Thanks for your help though!~ :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back