Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Oct 8, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #62 of 2,108
  Subbed! 

Hope to pull the trigger on a crack + SB soon. 

Great thread and reviews Loquah!

Thanks NZheadcase. I answered your question about difficulty of Crack vs S.E.X. over on the T1 thread, but will paste it here for others who might be interested:

Quote from other thread:
  How much more difficult is the S.E.X. to build when compared to the crack? 

The S.E.X. is more difficult only because of the higher number of connections and a few slightly cramped solder jobs, but otherwise it's still just point-to-point work and is straightforward if approached with care and patience (not necessarily high levels of skill).

Oct 10, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #65 of 2,108
I should have reserved more spots!

For the Reduction, Eros, Stereomour, Mainline, Beepre and Paramounts!
beerchug.gif

The Quickie can be configured as a headphone amp with the addition of a small transformer (1/channel).

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #66 of 2,108
   For the Reduction, Eros, Stereomour, Mainline, Beepre and Paramounts!
beerchug.gif

The Quickie can be configured as a headphone amp with the addtion of a small transformer (1/channel).

Haha. That might be going too far... even for me!

The impetus for the Quickie purchase was the fact that my new upcoming DAC is the Matrix X-Sabre which has no pre-amp stage so I need an external volume control for my powered speakers.

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #67 of 2,108

The Quickie can be configured as a headphone amp with the addtion of a small transformer (1/channel).

"Can be", yes. However we make three dedicated headphone amps that will work much better with headphones.  PB made a few Quickies with transformer outputs when it first came out, and while they worked OK they really don't have the power to run headphones all that well. The step down ratio of the transformer combined with the low mu of the 3S4 means they don't have much gain. Quickie is really intended to be used as a preamp, without any transformers. That job it does well.

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #68 of 2,108
  "Can be", yes. However we make three dedicated headphone amps that will work much better with headphones.  PB made a few Quickies with transformer outputs when it first came out, and while they worked OK they really don't have the power to run headphones all that well. The step down ratio of the transformer combined with the low mu of the 3S4 means they don't have much gain. Quickie is really intended to be used as a preamp, without any transformers. That job it does well.

So when is a multi-channel tube amp called "Purple Haze" coming out? 
tongue.gif

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #70 of 2,108
  Brunk, are you trying to get a job in their marketing and PR team? 
tongue_smile.gif

Lol, I sure would love that job! Sling Crack and Smack all day with the occasional SEX in between 
L3000.gif

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #72 of 2,108
  Yeah, our day to day is pretty much li' dis -

Oh man Doc, you have a great sense of humor! You got a good belly laugh out of me 
beerchug.gif

"If you ain't gettin' it done, it gonna get done to ya" - Bottlehead's motto by his #1 gangsta

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #75 of 2,108
Thanks Loquah for the heads up on that I checked and you are correct. I took it for qranted it was ok due to all the posts on head fi about the Crack related offer they ran and even found out about them via Head fi.  I have PMed Jude for some clarification and to see if its ok to post about the offer as they request.

"Group Buys can not be promoted on Head-Fi's Main Forums, or via Head-Fi's Private Messaging, without first receiving authorization from Jude via Head-Fi Private Messaging or e-mail. Please note, though, that it is not our desire to see Group Buys used by Members of the Trade as a primary method of distribution and advertising on Head-Fi's forums--so, for this and other reasons, they are usually not approved. Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis, and most often for DIY-related parts that might otherwise be unreasonably difficult to obtain."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back