Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Sep 29, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #46 of 2,108
  Hi Loquah,

There's one interesting thing I've just recently noticed. Your SEX wood base's color is nearly the same as my Crack's one
biggrin.gif

Sexy brown
tongue.gif

Yes. Mine's Jarrah stain. What's yours? It looks nice.

Sep 29, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #47 of 2,108

Folks, I just hooked up my old SpeakerCraft bookshelves with the SEX. The other night I just quickly fired them up in the living room, not properly placed or angled and was not particularly impressed.

Today I evicted my B&O BeoLab 3s and replaced them in my office with the bookshelves and Holy "Expletive"! These aren't great speakers, but jeez they sound good. They can't match the BeoLab 3s for off-axis performance, but the S.E.X. is helping them to create a truly beautiful image and stage. The only thing I'd like is a touch more bass, but I might EQ for that.

PS - sorry about the rushed photo!

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #48 of 2,108
Thanks, man. What a nice, impressive review with easily understandable words that I have ever read and even I am a mid-English level man like me can understand most of it. Thanks again and really want to read the last two parts of the review. A big picture of Bottlehead Amplifiers.

It has been a long time that I find myself more interested to read a review like this. Really a long time, the last time was the 50+ headphones comparison.

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #49 of 2,108
[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

Folks, I just hooked up my old SpeakerCraft bookshelves with the SEX. The other night I just quickly fired them up in the living room, not properly placed or angled and was not particularly impressed.

Today I evicted my B&O BeoLab 3s and replaced them in my office with the bookshelves and Holy "Expletive"! These aren't great speakers, but jeez they sound good. They can't match the BeoLab 3s for off-axis performance, but the S.E.X. is helping them to create a truly beautiful image and stage. The only thing I'd like is a touch more bass, but I might EQ for that.

PS - sorry about the rushed photo!

I'm assuming you haven't installed the C4S. Bass really improved after I installed the C4S.

Sep 29, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #50 of 2,108
Thanks, man. What a nice, impressive review with easily understandable words that I have ever read and even I am a mid-English level man like me can understand most of it. Thanks again and really want to read the last two parts of the review. A big picture of Bottlehead Amplifiers.

It has been a long time that I find myself more interested to read a review like this. Really a long time, the last time was the 50+ headphones comparison.

Thanks Loveknight. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I'm assuming you haven't installed the C4S. Bass really improved after I installed the C4S.

Correct. C4S comes next so I'm really glad to hear that it improves the bass. I like the sound a lot already, but a touch more bass would put the SEX over the top.

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #51 of 2,108

Just saying that you can use the Stereomour for headphones too!
beyersmile.png

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #54 of 2,108
Thanks for taking the time to write those great reviews
beerchug.gif

If the only high impedance cans you owned were the HD650's, which amp would you prefer to own?

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #55 of 2,108
  Thanks for taking the time to write those great reviews
beerchug.gif

If the only high impedance cans you owned were the HD650's, which amp would you prefer to own?

I haven't tried the 650s with both, but based on my experiences I'd probably choose the S.E.X.

The 650s are so smooth and warm to begin with that I think the extra transparency and clarity of the S.E.X. would really bring them alive. I loved the 650s with the Crack, but I think the Crack is at it's best with slightly brighter cans like the HD600s, Beyer T1s, etc.

I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts on your question.

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #56 of 2,108

I haven't tried the 650s with both, but based on my experiences I'd probably choose the S.E.X.

The 650s are so smooth and warm to begin with that I think the extra transparency and clarity of the S.E.X. would really bring them alive. I loved the 650s with the Crack, but I think the Crack is at it's best with slightly brighter cans like the HD600s, Beyer T1s, etc.

I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts on your question.

I never tried the S.E.X. amp, so I can just talk about my Crack, w/o speedball. If you read all the threads about Crack or HD650 on head-fi, everyone raves about the combination. So do I. I love my HD650s with the Crack. I my opinion, the HD650/Crack Combo is better compared to a "brighter" can like the Beyerdynamic DT880 (Revox 3100, an OEM version of them from the 80s) with the Crack. Treble are bright but not harsh, mids are better than with anything else and bass isn't tight, but I like it that way :)

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #57 of 2,108

I never tried the S.E.X. amp, so I can just talk about my Crack, w/o speedball. If you read all the threads about Crack or HD650 on head-fi, everyone raves about the combination. So do I. I love my HD650s with the Crack. I my opinion, the HD650/Crack Combo is better compared to a "brighter" can like the Beyerdynamic DT880 (Revox 3100, an OEM version of them from the 80s) with the Crack. Treble are bright but not harsh, mids are better then with anything else and bass isn't tight, but I like it that way :)

Buy and install Speedball to your Crack, then the bass is much tighter and more controlled
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #58 of 2,108
Hey everyone, I just noticed on the Crack thread that W0lfd0g is selling some awesome tubes for the Crack. PM him if you want to maximise your Crack's sound - he's got some real treasures.

PS - I'm guessing they won't be cheap given the high quality and rarity of the tubes, but worth every cent and I can vouch for his pricing - fair and not inflated for profits

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #59 of 2,108
It has been a while since I heard the 600s, sold them off to settle with the 650. Loving the 650 with the Crack+SB, I was able to try the dt880 (600ohm) with my crack+sb and liked it as well. Though I wouldn't say it was better than the pairing with the 650, ofcourse it was only a brief listen and that may well change after longer listening sessions. The 650 is so easy to love that it is usually difficult to completely enjoy something new
biggrin.gif
. I am already searching for other headphones for my crack+sb, an AKG 240 DF is on the way
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #60 of 2,108
  Buy and install Speedball to your Crack, then the bass is much tighter and more controlled
biggrin.gif

I'm eagerly waiting for the kit to ship from BH :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back