Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Oct 12, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #76 of 2,108
Subscribed! Looks like I have the S.E.X with c4s upgrades in the stir~

The Yulong DA8, HD800, and fully upgraded S.E.X looks very promising :D

Oct 12, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #78 of 2,108
Sounds nice. I'll be able to give you an idea of S.E.X. with similar high end setup (Matrix X-Sabre DAC and Beyer T1s) soon. Single-ended only though without modifying the S.E.X.
Awesome, Ill look for that. Are you using a passive preamp?

Also, I really do hope that c4s upgrade addresses the bass department otherwise I may reconsider. Its going to be tough to accept anything less from what the A18 offers in terms of bass.

Oct 12, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #79 of 2,108
I'll be using the Bottlehead Quickie or no pre-amp (depending on Quickie SQ).

I am looking forward to C4S impact on bass too, but already prefer SEX over Crack despite some drop in bass. Everything is just so clean and transparent, although T1s are a little warmer than HD800s so it might get too lean with HD800s. I might have to try some once the C4S is installed.

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #80 of 2,108
Awesome, Ill look for that. Are you using a passive preamp?

Also, I really do hope that c4s upgrade addresses the bass department otherwise I may reconsider. Its going to be tough to accept anything less from what the A18 offers in terms of bass.

I'll be using the Bottlehead Quickie or no pre-amp (depending on Quickie SQ).

I am looking forward to C4S impact on bass too, but already prefer SEX over Crack despite some drop in bass. Everything is just so clean and transparent, although T1s are a little warmer than HD800s so it might get too lean with HD800s. I might have to try some once the C4S is installed.

I'll be looking forward in anticipation of both your experiences as I may jump on the S.E.X. wagon myself in the future 
tongue_smile.gif
 I know Ken will be in for a treat with what him and I have in the works 
L3000.gif

Oct 12, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #82 of 2,108
Who's Ken and what DO you have in the works? :wink:

I meant DarKen23, and for now it's a secret until he decides to spill the beans 
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #84 of 2,108
Hey Doc, I can't help myself but I'm sure others would be interested in this as well. Could there be a snowflake's chance in hell that you would entertain a balanced tube amp offering by chance?

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #86 of 2,108
Oct 13, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #88 of 2,108
I thought so. Any reason a Crack can't be bridged? That's what most "balanced" amps are, just pairs of amps bridged and put in a single chassis.

se

Yeah thinking further about it now, It would be very nice to have a pre-fab single chassis option that would be more pleasing to the eye.  It would also open up the possibility to sell many different types of upgrades and addons too. After all, Doc has to make some greenbacks for it to be a viable option 
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #90 of 2,108
Yeah, they're built on a simple plate so easy peasy. Just size accordingly. Unless for some reason Cracks can't be bridged.

se

Yes very true. I'm still a newb with amplifier design, but the only issue that i can foresee would be the wiring of the Crack's MagneQuest transformers i suppose? 
confused.gif
 What would be your logic that they may not be able to be bridged?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back