Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Nov 28, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #946 of 2,108
  Here are some preliminary pics, @i luvmusic 2

My teflon caps are attached to the chokes (see review pics on first page) and I'll add some pics of the bypass caps here once they're done.

WOW! THANK YOU!
That gives me idea on how to put mine in,Mine is a mess.
The pic bellow that is where my C4S board problem begun i pushed down the 0.1uf cap by accident without realizing it's touching the resistor connected to T16 and T20 it shorted and fried the C4S "B" side and YES it is my FAULT i installed them with a lot of slack i should have sleeved them thought about it while i was working on it but got lazy doing it..........OUTCH!That is the reason why i want to redo those resistors and this time i will be sleeving all the exposed wires.

Nov 28, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #948 of 2,108
Yup!saw them been done from the other builders i thought about doing it but got so excited and rush to finished.That's what i got from being lazy and careless(shorted and fried the C4S).
frown.gif

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #949 of 2,108
I received some lovely Russian teflon capacitative goodness today! They're smaller than I expected, thankfully...

Here's the install using some short fly leads (teflon insulated solid hook-up wire from the Mainline kit) and hot melt glue to secure them in place

Early impressions of the sound (teflons bypassing Mundorf Supreme Silver / Gold / Oil) are exceedingly positive despite possibly a little bit of early grain in the treble from the teflons. The richness and clarity of the Mundorfs is still very present in the mids and bass, but the treble has more sparkle and texture now which is really bringing the LCD 2s to life

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #950 of 2,108
  I received some lovely Russian teflon capacitative goodness today! They're smaller than I expected, thankfully...

Here's the install using some short fly leads (teflon insulated solid hook-up wire from the Mainline kit) and hot melt glue to secure them in place

Early impressions of the sound (teflons bypassing Mundorf Supreme Silver / Gold / Oil) are exceedingly positive despite possibly a little bit of early grain in the treble from the teflons. The richness and clarity of the Mundorfs is still very present in the mids and bass, but the treble has more sparkle and texture now which is really bringing the LCD 2s to life

Snap, I do like the effect adding the Teflon brings it works a treat paired with the Ampohms

I might switch to fly leads later. I have some more tinkering to do but am enjoying listening to much to spend  any more time on hot rodding at the moment.

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #951 of 2,108

Snap, I do like the effect adding the Teflon brings it works a treat paired with the Ampohms

I might switch to fly leads later. I have some more tinkering to do but am enjoying listening to much to spend  any more time on hot rodding at the moment.

I say 'fly leads' but my install is basically the same as yours only with slightly longer hook-up wires. I toyed with using alligator clips or some other kinds of easily removable option, but I was too eager to just hear them!

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #954 of 2,108
  Loquah, thank you for this topic. Now I'm a fan of Bottlehead's products... 
darthsmile.gif

I've built a SEX for my father, for is HE500, Mundorf Supreme are the best choice for this amp. Aren't they too much warm ?

Hi Baboon, I'm glad you've become a fan of this great product! Your father is very lucky to have his own pre-built S.E.X. from you!

There are multiple Mundorf Supremes. I have tried the Mundorf MCap Supremes which are a polypropylene cap and they're quite neutral, but perhaps not as good as the slightly more expensive Auricap polypropylene I used on my Mainline. Otherwise the Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil is what I have in my S.E.X. and it is quite warm on its own - perhaps too warm, but does wonders when paired with a $5 Russian 0.01uF Teflon cap. The Teflons have really brought the very best out of the S/G/Os and the S.E.X. sounds amazing now - so much so that I am contemplating loading up the Mainline with the same cap combo now.

The oil caps are more expensive than the poly caps, but they do sound better to my ears, especially when bypassed with Teflon cap. There are many oil caps out there, some of which are more expensive than the Mundorf, but apparently also perform better. Another option if you don't want to spend quite as much and also avoid bypassing would be the Mundorf Supreme Silver / Oil (no gold) which isn't as thick and warm sounding as the S/G/Os

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #956 of 2,108
I'm using with Silver/Oil in mine with HE-500's and wouldn't consider it overly warm sounding at all.  If anything the 500's could do with a bit of added warmth.

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #958 of 2,108
Has anyone here tried Meridian Explorer USB DAC? I see its being heavily discounted on amazon now down from  £249 to £149 due to the new model  coming out. Thinking perhaps for the second system.

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #959 of 2,108
Fellas, I am in dire need of some solid, quick, well-informed advice, and my question is two-fold. Firstly, I am looking to acquire a Bottlehead S.E.X amp, but really need to know anyone's experience with it driving the Audeze LCD-3. I understand that an informed guess will suggest that it should be able to. There are many accounts of it driving the LCD-2.2s with aplomb, which is a healthy sign. I plan on using this combo until after CanJam, after which I will look to upgrade amp-wise.

Which leads to the second part of my question. After I acquire an upgrade amp, I'll ultimately be looking to use the S.E.X with either the Paradox Slants/Alpha primes (or one of the closed non-TOTL planars). I believe theses should be easier to drive than the LCD-3s, but please feel free to chime in.

NB- I'll be looking to get the fully upgraded amp @ Version 2.1 w/ C4S & Impedance Switch

Thanks in advance.

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #960 of 2,108
  Fellas, I am in dire need of some solid, quick, well-informed advice, and my question is two-fold. Firstly, I am looking to acquire a Bottlehead S.E.X amp, but really need to know anyone's experience with it driving the Audeze LCD-3. I understand that an informed guess will suggest that it should be able to. There are many accounts of it driving the LCD-2.2s with aplomb, which is a healthy sign. I plan on using this combo until after CanJam, after which I will look to upgrade amp-wise.

Which leads to the second part of my question. After I acquire an upgrade amp, I'll ultimately be looking to use the S.E.X with either the Paradox Slants/Alpha primes (or one of the closed non-TOTL planars). I believe theses should be easier to drive than the LCD-3s, but please feel free to chime in.

NB- I'll be looking to get the fully upgraded amp @ Version 2.1 w/ C4S & Impedance Switch

Thanks in advance.

I can't help you for your second question but I have a LCD-3. I couldn't hear it for a long time with the SEX but the SEX drove it very well (especially with the C4S upgrade), so does the Mainline. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back