Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Dec 15, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #305 of 2,108
I rewrote some recommendations regarding the choice of amp for our soon-to-be-overhauled web site. It was old enough that it discussed our retired Smack kit, so it now includes Mainline instead. I won't post it here because that could easily be construed as advertising. But It should be up on the new site in the next month or two.
jnS1AF

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #306 of 2,108
  I rewrote some recommendations regarding the choice of amp for our soon-to-be-overhauled web site. It was old enough that it discussed our retired Smack kit, so it now includes Mainline instead. I won't post it here because that could easily be construed as advertising. But It should be up on the new site in the next month or two.
jnS1AF

Can you PM it to me? I'd be interested to read the intentions for the Mainline for when I review it and compare with the SEX and Crack.

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #307 of 2,108
I have not heard my T1 thru a tube amp. Although I'm completely happy how T1 sounds on my portable amps (M8, C5D) I can't help but get curious how it sounds with a tube amp.

I just finished some DIY projects of my own, (detachable cables for T1 and low profile interconnects) perhaps a DIY crack is my pasport to the world of tube amps. The S.E.X. or mainline appears to be my kind sound signature for an amp but I want to start small and see how it goes from there.

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #308 of 2,108
Hey Loquah please excuse me for being nosy but have you some speakers heading your way? I noticed the Orcas were listed as sold soon after your post over on the BH forum and I wondered if a review might be the cards.

How are you getting on with your Mainline have you any teasers for us from your review?

Dec 25, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #309 of 2,108
  Hey Loquah please excuse me for being nosy but have you some speakers heading your way? I noticed the Orcas were listed as sold soon after your post over on the BH forum and I wondered if a review might be the cards.

How are you getting on with your Mainline have you any teasers for us from your review?

Haha. No - I would have loved those Orcas, but by the time I paid shipping it would have been too much at the moment.

As for the Mainline. It is sounding brilliant, but in a really subtle way. It's not immediately amazing, but in comparison with my other amps it seems to be miles ahead!

I'm still finalising the base so the whole kit can look pretty before getting its photos for the review 
tongue_smile.gif
 but it should be ready this week and I'm looking forward to doing a comparison with the S.E.X. and the Crack as well as with the Matrix Quattro amp which is fully balanced so a good comparison in terms of balanced operation.

As another slight teaser, my early impression is that the Mainline combines the smoothness of the Crack with the space and detail of the S.E.X., but does both better!

PS Merry Christmas to everyone!!!

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #310 of 2,108
It's begun!!

I started the Mainline review today and have finished the parts and building sections of the review with design, sound and comparisons to follow in the coming days. The formatting is still rough and there's lots more to come, but you're welcome to take a look: http://www.head-fi.org/t/683012/bottlehead-amplifier-discussion-comparison-thread-crack-sex-mainline#post_9831533

I'll post again when it's done so if you want to wait for the finished version, just sit back and enjoy the Holidays - I'll post when it's finalised and ready for full consumption!

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #311 of 2,108
Loquah congratulations on the Mainline I am please to hear you have it up and running The review looks excellent so far. I will be checking back regularly in expectation of the next instalments of the your review.

Cheers, Jamie.

Happy New Year for later all.

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #312 of 2,108
Hi Loquah, can I join the T1 + Crack club?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back