Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Nov 30, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #271 of 2,108
If you have the S.E.X. amp with the impedance switch boards you have the option of wiring the speakers connectors in a balanced configuration.  On my build i added a 4pin XLR connector and terminated the speakers connections to it so i have both XLR and regular TRS headphone sockets on the amp.  Balanced mode does sound different to me, and i do prefer it balanced, it just sounds more precise.

^ I suspect that may be what olegausany is hearing as normally there is no difference between the headphone and speaker posts.

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #272 of 2,108
Maybe it's the case because I do have both 1/4' jack and 4 pin XLR attached to speakers taps but when using same main cable and adapter part made from it I do hear the difference. I just nknow that it was built and modified by member nikongod

Dec 1, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #273 of 2,108
  The Mainline plate has returned from the anodiser and the colour is great!!

Unfortunately there is a blemish on one edge and this was on the 3rd attempt to get it perfect apparently. There's only so many rounds of anodising that a sheet can take so I'll have to live with the mark (which is pretty minor), but I'm going to try to mask it with a pin-stripe (aka "The Mainline" 
wink_face.gif
)

Loquah It dawned on me while admiring your top plate a question on the control panel indicator markings for the Mainline does it come with a separate engraved plate which fits over the top plate (which I am hoping) or is it a sticker of somesort its hard to make out exactly what the indicator markings are as its shown on Bottleheads Mainline product?

I hope you can enlighten me

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #274 of 2,108
Yes, the control markings are on a separate acrylic plate.

Re the difference in sound between speaker outs and TRS jack, my current theory is that the differences are due to the different connector materials. We have found that the terminations on cables are sometimes responsible for sonic differences that might be attributed to the cable itself, by using the same cable with different terminations (for example comparing two interconnects made with the same cable but different RCA plugs)

Dec 1, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #275 of 2,108

Re the difference in sound between speaker outs and TRS jack, my current theory is that the differences are due to the different connector materials. We have found that the terminations on cables are sometimes responsible for sonic differences that might be attributed to the cable itself, by using the same cable with different terminations (for example comparing two interconnects made with the same cable but different RCA plugs)

Forgive my ignorance but doesn't the TRS jack output less watts to a set of headphones (HE-500 in my case) than the speaker outs? If so, doesn't that affect the sound?

Dec 1, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #276 of 2,108
Mainline update:

The pinstripe's applied to cover the little blemish. I was worried it was going to be too close to the edge, but it might just work...

Following that, I've also painted the bell and installed the first few pages worth of sockets (up to the power transformer stage).

Apparently the engine enamel will become shinier once cured fully - it's in the oven right now on about 100 degrees C to see how it comes up. It might need another coat too - not sure.

Dec 1, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #277 of 2,108
  Looks great on the blue background but how about that red one it would be real kick ass on the Crack with power tube coming up through the eye.

lg_Silent%20Auction%20Piece.JPG

That would make an epic top plate design!

Someone should start a hot-rodding shop for Bottlehead kits like they do with bikes and cars!

Dec 1, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #278 of 2,108

Would the same apply if wired balanced using the impedance switch (as mentioned by a previous poster)?

Dec 1, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #279 of 2,108
Forgive my ignorance but doesn't the TRS jack output less watts to a set of headphones (HE-500 in my case) than the speaker outs? If so, doesn't that affect the sound?

No, power output is the same from either connection. The jack and the speaker posts are wired in parallel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back