Boston Regional 8/25/07
Aug 28, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #76 of 109
It was good to see everyone from last year and all the new faces. Big thanks to everyone who organized the meet!

I didn't do too much listening this time around since I am pretty settled with my K1000 rig, but I did have a listen to the HE60, Edition 9, and the RS1 out of Computerpro3's rig.

I was highly impressed with the HE60, which are at least as good as the K1000, but in different areas. The HE60 is completely effortless at tackling all genres, and are completely non-fatiguing (at least for as long as I listened). Spectacular detail and a laid back yet entirely full sound I could listen to for hours. Definitely a headphone I would be interested in purchasing in the future, but not one I would trade the K1000 for during times when I want to rock out. Jazz is unbelievable on these, though.

The Edition 9 were not impressive. They have a little more bass than the K1000, it seems, but are what I can only describe as hollow sounding in the midrange, and the treble did not impress me either. They sound very strangely colored for such an expensive headphone.

The RS1, even coupled with one of the most synergistic amps available, seemed to fall short of the K1000 in most areas, though not by too much. They seemed to lack the overall presence that makes the K1000 such a special headphone, but the RS1 certainly has impact. The one thing I really don't like about these is the grating brightness.

Here are some pictures I took. I tried not to be redundant considering the massive number of pictures already posted.

-Patrick

bosmeet1.jpg

bosmeet2.jpg

bosmeet3.jpg

bosmeet4.jpg

bosmeet5.jpg

bosmeet6.jpg

bosmeet7.jpg

bosmeet8.jpg

bosmeet9.jpg

bosmeet10.jpg

bosmeet11.jpg

bosmeet12.jpg

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #77 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, here you go (roughly taken from my post in the Curse thread):

My new DAC.

Damn you! Nice Nate, very nice indeed. Any comments on this DAC vs. say the Opus DAC from Twisted Pear?

Now if you only had a βalanced amp.....Mmmmm.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must make it to CanJam '08, or the Florida party in Nov. Towert7, I know you'll be there. You're are our official photographer, if I recall, after Tampa, and though I have Darths, I'm wanting to hear what the hole mod does.

CanJam? Isn't the the goo that comes out of your headphones when......EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Quote:

I'm a nice guy, Vicki, I SWEAR!
evil_smiley.gif

*checks calendar...

We'll have to see what the dates are when things get firmed up. I'd love to make at least one of them, but I have a feeling NYC's going to have a big meet in Nov, maybe we can convince Team FLA to make the trek to the frozen North Country?
wink.gif

Quote:

Now that sounds interesting. Are you sure you'd want all of us (please note that jp11801 is still a member of Team Florida even if he's giving us abandonment issues)?

Oh god they let you people on planes?!?!

Quote:

Has there ever been a time when someone didn't want the life of the party to attend the party??? I say bring it on.

I seem to recall Johnny numbers bailing on a most excellent party that I was most assuredly not in attendance..... or so I hear.

Looks like a good time was had by all, great meet and great gear guys.

Aug 28, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #78 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn you! Nice Nate, very nice indeed. Any comments on this DAC vs. say the Opus DAC from Twisted Pear?

Now if you only had a βalanced amp.....Mmmmm.
very_evil_smiley.gif

While I can offer no comparisons, I do have to say that it sounds even better than it looks, and that's saying something.
cool.gif

I'm really looking forward to hearing it balanced with his 4-channel β22.

Aug 28, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #79 of 109
Quote:

I seem to recall Johnny numbers bailing on a most excellent party that I was most assuredly not in attendance..... or so I hear.

You know, I think I heard about that party too, although I definitely wasn't there either.
very_evil_smiley.gif

And if the moles are whispering truth I think we'll find out more about CanJam soon. It is not what I think you think it is.
tongue.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #80 of 109
Quote:

Nice meet, guys, and great pics. I really need to learn how to work a camera. Nate, that's just plain mean posting a picture of that DAC. Saw it in the Curse thread. You must make it to CanJam '08, or the Florida party in Nov. Towert7, I know you'll be there. You're are our official photographer, if I recall, after Tampa, and though I have Darths, I'm wanting to hear what the hole mod does.

Haha, you recall right! Yea, I'm always up for another Florida party! Might be during school time, so it'll be a tough one, but I'll see what I can do!
I'm actually thinking of attending a school in Ft. Lauderdale (Nova Southeastern), so if it's anywhere near that it would be a good excuse to kill two birds with one stone. Any more info on 'CanJam '08'? I'de love to know.

Yea, it would be fun to compare the 'drew modded' Darths to your stock pair. Huge difference (brings the Darths much closer to sounding like my HD650 over stock)!!! I still think it's a shame Larry does not bunble the closed darths with little rubber stopper plugs, what a shame.

Keep me posted!

Aug 28, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #81 of 109
Quote:

Oh god they let you people on planes?!?!

If you recall, they let me, Matt and Gene into the airport, so we're halfway there!

Quote:

You know, I think I heard about that party too, although I definitely wasn't there either.
very_evil_smiley.gif

If I have my stories straight, you were most definitely at the party. This young woman may be at the next one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At first I thought this young woman from So. Carolina would qualify, but I saw a later shot of her leaving the pageant proving she is no dummy ...
samp8bb4b654118f33f7.jpg

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #82 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad to hear you liked the HF-1s. It was actually DanG's Melos... The late arrival. It was set up right next to my rig, so I tried it out using my HF-1s. And it had no slouch of a source, running off of Nate's transport and Max DAC. :shrug: I don't know if it was a question of unrealistically high expectations after all I've read, or if it just wan't for me.

But you're right, that's what's great about all of this... We all hear things differently. It's also something people should keep in mind with Head-Fi. Other people's impressions are great, but meets like this are tough to beat because it really does come down to hearing things for yourself and making up your own mind.

To be honest, even I didn't like the set-up with my Melos in Nate's rig -- it seems to me that Nate likes a very different sound than I do. I think it was an issue of synergy here, either with the source or the headphones. The HD600 wasn't exactly the best combination with my Melos either, but the sound with the Grado HP-2 and the Alessandro MS Pro was just sublime.

Aug 28, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #83 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest, even I didn't like the set-up with my Melos in Nate's rig -- it seems to me that Nate likes a very different sound than I do. I think it was an issue of synergy here, either with the source or the headphones. The HD600 wasn't exactly the best combination with my Melos either, but the sound with the Grado HP-2 and the Alessandro MS Pro was just sublime.

It's cool and more than likely purely a matter of preference like so much of this hobby. And we probably should have tried it with another source to see how things changed. It also could have been a result of the fact that your Melos (and correct me if I'm wrong) hadn't been used in a long time and needed to be run in again.

On a related note it was great to meet you, Dan. Best of luck on your international journey. Say hello to Sennheiser for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #84 of 109
Quote:

This young woman may be at the next one.

Wonder how long it will take for that pic to show up as someone's avitar?

And more to the point, um, where's the next one..... ?
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #85 of 109
well, i'm a little late with my comments . . .

first -- a big thanks to dave, haj, and nate for all of their efforts in pulling the meet together. i enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and the sharing of equipment and ideas.

in terms of sound, i was completely blown away by dave's he60s -- they were truly magical! everything else was not in the same league.

i confess that i have not liked the sound of ultrasones in the past, but i tried to have an open mind with the ed 9s. like a previous poster, i found the bass to really be not right -- very boomy to my ears. of course this was just after listening to the he60s.

i had my first k1000 experience and found them to be pretty sweet, too. i would love to hear these in a quiet location -- there was no way to really experience their full sound in a meet environment.

i enjoyed computerpro's melos/rs-1 combination. i found the rs-1s to be very clean with strong bass. if i could only get over their lack of comfort -- it's very distracting! maybe i'm spoiled by my oh so comfy 600s.

i had the opportunity to try the saa equinox and the rnb grace52 cables on my 600s (w/blue dragon). the blue dragon was definitely the most laid back of the group. the equinox and the rnb both made the highs more crisp (rnb more than the equinox), but again in a meet environment its hard to come to any definite conclusions. if forced, i think i'd say the equinox was the best of the group).

i also had my first opportunity to spend any time listening to the 701s and comparing them to my 600s. i found the strengths of the 701s to be consistent with the well documented sound on the forums (clean, crisp, good soundstage, neutral in their way), but i'd love to have them in a quiet environment for a while to listen longer. i tried the 701s with my ppx3 slam and liked the combo which seems to be in conflict with the majority regarding tubes. 701s vs 600s -- hard to say, but i'm not dissatisfied with what i have.

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #87 of 109
Quote:

What is it? It's the world's only (for now?) stand alone Headroom Balanced MAX DAC. The name, "Hertsens Signature DAC" was my idea and is just meant to accomplish two goals, one to give a hint at what's in the box and two to pay a small tribute to a guy that bleeds the headphone hobby.

Great to finally see some details on your dac, Nate
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #88 of 109
Quote:

It's cool and more than likely purely a matter of preference like so much of this hobby. And we probably should have tried it with another source to see how things changed. It also could have been a result of the fact that your Melos (and correct me if I'm wrong) hadn't been used in a long time and needed to be run in again.

On a related note it was great to meet you, Dan. Best of luck on your international journey. Say hello to Sennheiser for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey man, it was great to meet you too as well as everyone there. It's always fun to put faces to names, as it were, and I found that I no longer personally knew anyone who's still involved with Head-Fi in the Boston area! So I look forward to the next one if I'll be around.

And if I for some reason make it to a Sennheiser factory (if they aren't all in Ireland already) I'll be sure to tell them that Nate sends his best.
600smile.gif
And Dave, I'll let Ultrasone know you're a big fan.
280smile.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #89 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.........And Dave, I'll let Ultrasone know you're a big fan.
280smile.gif

Eff that; tell Sennheiser that Baby O needs the rest of the family close by, so they should send me the big daddy..... 8~)

Dan, glad you finally made it to a meet. I remember way back when, trying to schedule a meet to fit your schedule while in this part of the world.

Aug 28, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #90 of 109
I thought I would share a picture of my new headphone stand that I got at the meet thanks to Drew. Here she (he?) is sporting my HD650 and MS2i.

P8280105%20%28Large%29.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back