Boston Regional 8/25/07
Aug 27, 2007 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 109

n_maher

Resistorous Conflagorous
Well, I just got home cooked some dinner and figured I'd start this thread since no one else has.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll update this post later with pics and impressions but I had a great time as usual, met more great people and got to listen to some really great gear.

Aug 27, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 109
Thanks everyone for coming, as usual, I had a great time. The meet was more laid back than usual, and I finally got to listen to a pair of HE60's, amongst other items.

I brought my camera, but neglected to use it, so no pics from me this time around.

Aug 27, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 109
I'll start with a huge thanks to Nate and Haj. These two guys really did so much to ensure the success of the meet. From Nate's great work as vendor contact and gear mule, to Haj's consistent efforts to keep the information thread up to date. This meet is another great success due to their amazing efforts.

I'd also like to extend a big thanks to P.K. for arranging for donated gear and holding the Equation Audio Raffle. If you were fortunate enough to win a pair of headphones, please consider providing feedback to thank this vendor for the generous gift. Also to Ethan for hosting the silent auction. That was such a fun break from the action and such a gas. Our deepest thanks to those that generously donated gear for this event.
I'll thank the low-life bandits that kept outbidding me in a different pipe bomb, I mean, thread....

My final thanks to all of the attendees. There was a lot of great gear and great conversations. I am blessed to have such a great hobby and wonderful kooks with which to share it.

As usual, I did not get to hear very much gear. Will post impressions after I've had a chance to set my rig back up and think about the day.

You guys rock,

Dave

Aug 27, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 109

1. That was fun !
  2. Some random pics. Feel free to add notes to the pictures:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pkshiu/...7601679269014/
  3. It was great to put faces to the handles
  4. For those who won the Equation audio stuff, they really would appreciate any feedback. Please email them to me pk@pkshiu.com and I'll forward them. One each of the RP21, RP22X and 15MC are burnt in with at least 40 hours or so. Check the bottom of your box, if there is a green check mark those are the ones. (The are the first few raffled off, if you remember your position).
  5. Thanks to Dave/Haj/Nate/Yikes for organizing
  6. Now I got to build myself a straw powered aluminum CD player....

Aug 27, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 109
I just finished putting my rig back together after grabbing some much-needed dinner. I'm working on my pictures right now and will post back once they are uploaded. I had a fantastic time and am now the proud owner of one of Drew's Chinese architecture inspired headphone stands as well as a Marantz CD-65 (who donated this? Many thanks to whoever you are--it sounds great). Finally, a great big thank you to the meet organizers for a incredibly smoothly-running meet and P.K. who generously gave me a ride to the meet and back (he even picked me up at my place!). Thanks guys!

Aug 27, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 109
Being around a whole bunch of people that like the same things as you is an amazing thing. It was also cool that me being a younger kid and new to the hobby was accepted and not looked down upon like I have been at some of the stores that I have been too. So in all I was alot of fun for me. I already planned my next purchase thanks to the meet, but good thing it isnt really released yet, the headamp pico I think it was call. I can't wait to go to another event like this!
Thanks to everyone that put this together!

Aug 27, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #7 of 109
Here are my pics (captions where possible):

My New DAC (more on that later, but the name gives a hint at what's inside)
84530475.jpg

My Modified Wheatfield HA-2
84530478.jpg

My DIY Transport
84530480.jpg

Ian's modified Zebra Wood HF-1s
84530482.jpg

Ian's rig
84530483.jpg

Headroom's Balanced Desktop
84530485.jpg

Headroom's Maxed out Desktop
84530487.jpg

Dave's rig
84530490.jpg

Haj's rig
84530492.jpg

A K1000 rig (sorry, I forget the owner)
84530494.jpg

Another rig (I'm wretched with names...)
84530496.jpg

Kevin's (kdaq) PPA, which has now made it to at least 3 meets and still isn't cased
84530500.jpg

Pk's "if it ain't white, it ain't right" rig
wink.gif
(you really should get a mac to complete this this theme!
84530502.jpg

Ethan's (Yikes) always impressive rig (sorry we're losing you man)
84530504.jpg

Ping of AAA Audio's new power supply, holy hell that thing is a beast!
84530510.jpg

Moddedd Original CD player

84530512.jpg

Justin's (Headamp) New Pico Amp/USB DAC, more on this later as it was one of the few things that I spent some time critically listening too. Short version, wow.
84530514.jpg

Note - this is the prototype he soldered by hand
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

84530516.jpg

jcx's rig
84530518.jpg

Aug 27, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #8 of 109
Great pics Nate, thanks!

Aug 27, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #10 of 109
It was a very nice meeting (again) - thanks to ALL who contibuted!!

My wife and I were late and needed to leave after an hour or so. As a result of this I could only listen 1/3rd of the gear out there; BUT I confirmed my earlier thoughts to save for the RPX100! What a great rig was that - kuddos again Dave!!

Here are some additional pics (mainly me + my wife, but there are some gear at the corners of the pics, lol): http://ooztuncer.smugmug.com/gallery/3372503#188283832

PS: it is really good to see familiar faces even after a year, we have a great community!

Aug 27, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #11 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ooztuncer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was a very nice meeting (again) - thanks to ALL who contibuted!!

My wife and I were late and needed to leave after an hour or so. As a result of this I could only listen 1/3rd of the gear out there; BUT I confirmed my earlier thoughts to save for the RPX100! What a great rig was that - kuddos again Dave!!

Here are some additional pics (mainly me + my wife, but there are some gear at the corners of the pics, lol): http://ooztuncer.smugmug.com/gallery/3372503#188283832

PS: it is really good to see familiar faces even after a year, we have a great community!

What did your lovely wife think of my RS1/Melos setup? I noticed she was enjoying it for a good bit of time.

It was really great meeting everyone and putting a face to the names. Had a great time listening to some of the gear too. The Edition 9's impressed me for a closed can, and I think I'm going to build a K1000 rig. Listening to Mozart's 21st concerto on them was quite an experience. Also liked the Esoteric DV50 and the HD600's. Didn't hate but didn't love the k701's and the HD650's.

I have some pics to upload later but they are grainy as the iso was accidentally set on max.

Thanks again to Nate for generously lending me his Arcam for the meet.

Aug 27, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #12 of 109
Thanks Nate, Haj, P.K., Dave, and Ethan for putting together such a great meet! I haven't been to one in years and this was a lot of fun. It was great to meet all of you and to hear so much great new gear.

Aug 27, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #13 of 109
It was nice to meet every body again. It was really fun.

My pick of the day goes again to Nate as I did last year, his DIY systems with transport, DAC and amp. I have spent lots of time listening to his system. It is warm, music and dynamic. You can almost tell that it is Nate’s system.

The other system impressed me was Yikes’s all SilTech wired system. It was the most revealing system in the room.

Cheers. Ping

(no need to quote an entire set of pics)

Aug 27, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #14 of 109
Huge thanks to Nate, Dave, and Haj for organizing this meet. I had a lot of fun meeting everyone and listening to the gear. The New England crowd have once again proven they're a lot of fun to be with.

Thanks to Drew (towert7) for the lovely headphone stand. And thanks to Ethan (Yikes) for dinner, and everyone that joined us.

edit: I have some pictures I'll post tomorrow.

Ian's custom woodied HF-1 was the eye opener of the meet. Truly amazing, open sound from a Grado. I do believe those wood cups I have coming will probably go on my HF-1
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back