Bose Wave Radio SQ? Acoustic Wave system?
Dec 6, 2009 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ucrags84

100+ Head-Fier
For a moment, put aside your dislike of BOSE products. I know the Brand isn't highly popular on these forums. Granted their earphones leave much to be desired, but I wanted to know what you all thought about the rest of their products.

Put aside the high price of their products, they do have a brand to exploit..

I ask what you all think of the Wave Music systems.

What do you think of the Wave Radio/CD Player and Acoustic Wave Music System?

- Personally I love the sound quality out of both these systems. The highs could extend a little more, but the mids are smooth, and the bass is rich and detailed. The speakers don't distort at higher volumes too. While I am not a 100% certain about this, I think Bose's "waveguide" technology is basically just a way to use resonance and help create acoustic standing waves.

-The Lifestyle series Cubes have been pretty good. Although their proprietary system didn't interest me, so we just paired the speakers with a Harmon Kardon Receiver/Amp for brilliant performance.

-Just to be clear, I'm not a fanboy. All of Bose headphone and iPod dock systems don't cut it, IMO.

Dec 6, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #2 of 16
Their iPod docking systems are practically repackaged wave systems. I think their Sounddock 10 sounds great, the $1200 Wave system is very overpriced. The Sounddock 10 is ok.. still overpriced.

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 16
The point is not that Bose is horrendous sounding, but that your money goes much farther elsewhere.

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 089709867 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Their iPod docking systems are practically repackaged wave systems. I think their Sounddock 10 sounds great, the $1200 Wave system is very overpriced. The Sounddock 10 is ok.. still overpriced.

Um, they're not exactly repackaged wave systems. They use similar tubing to for the "waveguide" stuff, but not essentially the same system. I have a relative who works @ Bose EE department.

Dec 6, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucrags84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um, they're not exactly repackaged wave systems. They use similar tubing to for the "waveguide" stuff, but not essentially the same system. I have a relative who works @ Bose EE department.

I didn't say that it was. "Practically". If I remember correctly they even use the same drivers. The Sounddock 10 is packing a subwoofer and 2 drivers up front just like the $1200 wave system.

Buying an amp/speakers/tuner sounds like it wouldn't be an iPod dock, but a 2.0 system.. that's less than ideal for shoppers of something like a Sounddock.

Dec 6, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #8 of 16
I've had a Wave radio in my bedroom for years. A very nice sounding radio to wake up too. I also like the dual alarm and the LCD display that automatically dims when you turn off the lights at night.

Dec 6, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 16
I think the reason that BOSE is considered overpriced is due to people on this forum mainly caring about SQ. You're right that a 2.0 system with ipod hookup wouldn't be the same as an all-in-one like a Sounddock 10, but if the biggest things you consider are sound and price, then the 2.0 system makes better sense as it will sound much better.

What it boils down to is form factor and/or WAF. With BOSE you're paying for that and the engineers at BOSE have to make (sometimes serious) compromises to SQ in order to make it a certain way that the marketing department demands.

An analogy would be something of (not unconditionally) Apple computers, or more specifically the MacBook Air. If you're looking for an ultra-light computer that still has a fullsize keyboard, there aren't too many options for you. It's also impossible to dispute that for the same amount of money you could snag a killer desktop system. "You can't compare those two, they fill different markets!" - that's true, they do serve different functions but for a power no restrictions (other than cost) goal it's a no brainer.

There's nothing wrong with buying BOSE if that's what you want. The problem is that you can get much better SQ if you sacrifice some of the 'less important' features such as: size, weight, attractiveness, ease of use, etc.

I think that all makes sense. Helps explain why nobody has an answer to those threads that are like: "People always bash BOSE let's be objective. Looking for headphones with all these qualities (basically describe an identical headphone) but sound better for less money."

Dec 6, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An analogy would be something of (not unconditionally) Apple computers, or more specifically the MacBook Air. If you're looking for an ultra-light computer that still has a fullsize keyboard, there aren't too many options for you. It's also impossible to dispute that for the same amount of money you could snag a killer desktop system. "You can't compare those two, they fill different markets!" - that's true, they do serve different functions but for a power no restrictions (other than cost) goal it's a no brainer.

Faulty anaolgy, as the software and programs still run the same, they don't run worse, or have parts missing. Maybe a sports car that looks nice and runs around the city OK but has a ford focus engine, vs. a sports car that has better handling, speed acceleration etc., a real sports care vs. one that just looks like a sports care with seom minor enhancements.

Dec 6, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Faulty anaolgy, as the software and programs still run the same, they don't run worse, or have parts missing. Maybe a sports car that looks nice and runs around the city OK but has a ford focus engine, vs. a sports car that has better handling, speed acceleration etc., a real sports care vs. one that just looks like a sports care with seom minor enhancements.

Well you don't get a CD drive, you only have one USB port, you don't have ethernet (unless you buy a USB->ethernet adaptor). Also some programs don't run the same. Anything that needs a decent amount of power or a video card won't run or will run poorly/slowly. Obviously it's not a perfect analogy, but analogies never are. They're used to show you a perspective that's easier to understand and then apply it to a more difficult situation.

The main point was that the perceived value of a product is directly related to the constraints one is looking to maximize and that what you're looking for doesn't always align with what the designer was looking for (or whoever you were/are talking to).

Dec 6, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With BOSE you're paying for that and the engineers at BOSE have to make (sometimes serious) compromises to SQ in order to make it a certain way that the marketing department demands.

Fundamentally Bose's products are no different than most any of the other cheap plastic junk being cranked out in China. What you're paying for with their much higher price is Bose's marketing and advertising.

se

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fundamentally Bose's products are no different than most any of the other cheap plastic junk being cranked out in China. What you're paying for with their much higher price is Bose's marketing and advertising.

se

Yeah but how many docks sound like the Sounddock 2 or even the Sounddock 10? I haven't heard any that have the same sound. The Bose sound is a special one, not meant to be accurate in the least bit.

I haven't heard one dock that sounds as pleasing as the 10. Sure you can get better sound out of a 2.0 or 2.1 but that isn't the point.

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #14 of 16
I inherited a Bose Wave radio from my late aunta couple of years ago.

It sounds awful, just like the rest of the Bose product line.

I do like the way it looks, though.

Dec 3, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #15 of 16
From my experience when it comes to using iPod with music systems, then Bose wave systems are the best to fit and deliver what you are looking for.
yes they are overprices but ithe sound quality they deliver is awesome by all means!

Quote:
For a moment, put aside your dislike of BOSE products. I know the Brand isn't highly popular on these forums. Granted their earphones leave much to be desired, but I wanted to know what you all thought about the rest of their products.

Put aside the high price of their products, they do have a brand to exploit..

I ask what you all think of the Wave Music systems.

What do you think of the Wave Radio/CD Player and Acoustic Wave Music System?

- Personally I love the sound quality out of both these systems. The highs could extend a little more, but the mids are smooth, and the bass is rich and detailed. The speakers don't distort at higher volumes too. While I am not a 100% certain about this, I think Bose's "waveguide" technology is basically just a way to use resonance and help create acoustic standing waves.

-The Lifestyle series Cubes have been pretty good. Although their proprietary system didn't interest me, so we just paired the speakers with a Harmon Kardon Receiver/Amp for brilliant performance.

-Just to be clear, I'm not a fanboy. All of Bose headphone and iPod dock systems don't cut it, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back