Bose upgrade?
Apr 28, 2011 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

theoriesoftopix

New Head-Fier
I've been reading around these forums for a while and ive heard that pretty much any headphone tops the bose ae2s for sound quality or any other feature. I know thats not true since skullcandy and other uber cheap headphones sound really horendous but thats beside the point. I wanted to know what headphones amp etc. you'd recommend for me in order so I could get lost inside the music. 
I know that souns strange but I want it to be intimate. I would like price to be kept 1000-3000 dollars but it has to be portable with more than 5 hours battery life. (Portable for me means all the necessary equipment can be carries in a briefcase) 
Thanks for the suggestions.

Apr 28, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 41
Um. $1k-3k?  You have quite an array of choices going for you at that price range.

I wouldn't say that everything tops the AE2, but you can do far better at that price point.  Honestly, you can buy pretty much anything you want at the price range you've specified.

Apr 28, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 41
Oh what I wouldn't do to have such disposable income. At that price you could get a nice HD800 or T1 setup.

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 41
Well what would be best for music like daft punk, electronica and eminem?
Song that has to sound amazing: Something about us, Daft Punk.
I would appreciate it if you could get me more precise information with the details I said before. I want the setup to sound musical and if that means sacrificing "reference" audio quality I'm cool with it.

Apr 29, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 41
For those genres I'd recommend a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900's. Well under your price range and perfect for those genres.

Apr 29, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 41
I agree.  For that kind of money there's no way Bose should be entering this conversation.  I will say this for the AE2.  Those that have slammed bose in the past for being warm, bass heavy garbage cans, you would be pretty surprised.  They are far from huge bass heavy cans.  The k518le absolutely destroys them in bass thump.  One thing that Bose has still missed the boat on, in my opinion, is the mids.  They are really recessed.  If you have an adjustable eq, you can help it out quite a bit, but if you don't man....they are lacking there.  They are really laid back cans....just like the demo says...great with accoustic.  Comfortable to wear while listening to relaxing tunes.  The fact that they are so recessed may not make them very good for orchestra type music though.  They don't seem to separate very well...but I haven't tried either, so that's just a guess.

Apr 29, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #10 of 41
If you really wanna live up to your 2-3k price range, then you could check out high-end electrostatic or orthodynamic cans, like those by Stax, or the hifiman HE-500/HE-6, or the Audez LCD-2.  But really, spending that much to start off with is excessive, I'd recommend you start a little smaller.

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #12 of 41
I think hes looking for more portable headphones

May I suggest the Ultrasone Edition 8?

Apr 30, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #15 of 41
The Edition 8 earcups are a little smaller than the AE2's.  In fact, I find it hard to believe that the Edition 8 is not considered an on ear headphone.  The pads on the Edition 8 are a little stiff for about 4 or 5 days and then that nice leather softens up, so even if they touch your ears...they get soft enough to not be much of a bother.  My Edition 8's are the best things i have ever put on my head!!  Crazy subwoofer bass that in no way steps on the mids.  It's quite an accomplishment in my opinion.  The S Logic really shines in these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back