Bose TriPort or Grado SR60/SR80 ?
May 14, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #47 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you might not be happy with Grados if you loved the HD580s though =\

I use to have a pair of 80's and replaced them for a pair of Senn 580's. I learned, by trial and error, that I like the sound of the 580's a lot more than the Grado's. The Grado's were too bright and fatiguing but the 580's had the perfect high and low mixture. Just a warning, after listening to the Senns I could not go back to the Grados.

As always, its all about what type of sound you prefer. Does anybody know what at Best Buys has a similar sound to the Grados that he can try?

BTW, I have a pair of IE Bose Triports and I prefer them over my shure e4c. I have tried to convince myself into liking the more expensive shures but its not working... no use fighting it.
icon10.gif
IMO, the shures are lacking the highs which make them sound muffled, which is a huge turn off.

May 14, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #48 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or he might realize what a nasty veil they had and love the grados.

or maybe he will turn into a ignorant Grado fanboy.

Quote:

The 600 grilles and 650 cable won't do anything but make them more durable.

you speak from experience?

Quote:

Also what kind of music do you listen to, as different headphones do different types of music better. For example, the HD580 is probably the worst headphone you could get for rock or metal (the veil). It is geared to more classical (and related) music.

this is his opinion....I bet he's never even heard the HD580/HD600/HD650.

May 14, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #49 of 81
SR80's

May 14, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #51 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by WiZ83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to own a HD580 before it got stolen.

I have MS1 and MS2i and can switch back and forth between either of the two, and HD600, most all the time and not suffer any sonic shock. Sure; they have a difference in presentation, but they both sound "natural" in their way of presenting their own favorite types of music. They complement each other quite well.

May 15, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #52 of 81
WiZ83, if you're used to the HD580, you'll find that the SR60 lacks bass and soundstage, but it does have those crazy in your face mids and highs.

May 15, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #53 of 81
This may be a little beyond the scope of your budget, but if you liked the 580s, you might like the 595s. They are a bit different, but still share that same Sennheiser house sound.

May 15, 2007 at 10:09 AM Post #54 of 81
I got a pretty good deal with Google checkout. I tried to call up and cancel, but J&R said they're shipped out and they'd have to ask me to pay for the $6.95 shipping if I were to cancel it. I wanted to cancel the SR60 and go with the Alessandro MS-1 instead, as I've read almost everyone's comment that MS-1 is *significantly* better than SR60, even SR80 and SR125, which cost more.

May 18, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #55 of 81
I just returned my TriPort. There are problems with J&R, I placed my order last Saturday, and they've not shipped it out yet. Anyone know if they are any good? Coz I just talked to someone else from this forum, and they claimed that it took him 3 weeks to receive his headphones the last time he ordered them. Anyway, I just picked up a MDR-NC60, gonna test it out to see if they're any good.

May 18, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #56 of 81
The SR-60s are still great headphones. I highly recommend getting a pair of bowls for them. It will create some depth and tame some of the highs and add some bass to them.

May 18, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #57 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by WiZ83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've purchased Bose TriPort headphones from BestBuy 2 days ago from BestBuy locally for $140.

I used to own Sennheiser HD580, which was my grandpa's till the day he died 2 years ago, my dad gave it to me since I was the one who enjoyed music the most. But I lost it, some mother ****er stole my HD580 from my dorm room last week.

So, I decided I need a new pair of headphones, I went to my local BestBuy, and apparently, according to BestBuy, the Bose TriPort are the best headphones they have, and in fact the most expensive there. Bose TriPort was the only one at the display where I could test it before I make my purchase, as according to BestBuy's manager, Bose is the only company to give him sample sets. I tested it there, I liked it, but when I brought it back, and played it on my computer, it didn't sound as good as HD580, but of course I didn't expect it to beat a pair of headphones that costs way more than what I paid for, but I did some internet research, and came to read about the Grado SR60 and SR80, which are relatively cheaper.

Anyway, the main question is, is my TriPort a good buy? Or I could get the Grado SR60 or SR80 for cheaper, and better? All I want is a pair of headphones, I got a small headphone amplifier which my grandpa used to own, and I'm using it to amplify the sound. I've read many great reviews of SR60 and SR80, but none compare them to Bose Triport. BestBuy give me 30 days to return the product if I'm not happy with it, therefore I need to make up my mind, whether to keep it, or buy a better Grado for cheaper. The reason I have to stick with headphones is because I live in a dorm, and I stay up late, I don't want to wake my neighbors up.

According to Grado's website, the only difference between SR60 and SR80 is the cable, and the cans, but I need more input from people who actually tried both, and how they compare. Whether the SR80 is worth the extra $25 or not? But the most important thing is, whether I should keep my Bose TriPort or purchase Grado?

Thanks.

Grado.

May 22, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #60 of 81
Just received my SR60 from J&R. I ordered it 2 Saturdays ago, and they shipped it out last Friday. I'm kind of disappointed with J&R's service.

Anyway, the headphones sounds pretty good. The mids and highs are really good, but it lacks bass.

Overall, I'm quite satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back