Bose TriPort or Grado SR60/SR80 ?
May 13, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #31 of 81
Yo man! Go for the MS-1. They're more comparable to the SR125 in fact. Return the triports to your best buy dealer before it's too late.

May 13, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #32 of 81
I bought the TriPort 3 days ago, so I got 27 days left.
I checked the F/S section, most of them are sold. I tried to post a new thread, but it won't let me because I'm not registered for more than 30 days, nor do I have 50 post counts to my name as of yet.

I'm sort of suspecting my grandpa built this amp, as it doesn't have any serial number or adhesive stickers with parts number or whatever. The switch on it looks ghetto, it's those switch where you push the mini sticks up and down, and an LED to indicate if it's on or off. My grandpa was an audiophile, he owns a bunch of nice speaker sets, and amplifiers, and all I got was the HD580, and the rest of the speaker sound system and amplifier went to my dad's elder brother.

May 13, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #33 of 81
Can you open up the amp and get a picture of the inside? That would be helpful (high current or high voltage?).

Also what kind of music do you listen to, as different headphones do different types of music better. For example, the HD580 is probably the worst headphone you could get for rock or metal (the veil). It is geared to more classical (and related) music.

If you could afford it I would get the MS1 over the SR60.

May 13, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #34 of 81
Okay since you wont take the HD580 into consideration go with the MS1. The MS1 sounds more like a SR125 than a SR80 and they will do better with pop then a SR80 or SR60.

May 13, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #35 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by WiZ83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the moment, I'm still leaning towards SR60. Anymore inputs on SR80/MS-1/KSC75?

Coming from the HD-580 and Triports, you might want to take comfort into account when you make your decision. I've never tried a Grado with the pads that come with the SR-60, but the bowls that come with the SR-80 are pretty comfortable since (at least for me) they go around the ear rather than sit on top.

May 13, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #36 of 81
Now the problem with it is I can't open the amp, because it uses some kind of special screws, I think it's the torx screws. But as soon as I get to open them up, I will take pictures and post em' here.

I've just placed an order for SR60 from JR.com, bought it for $69 - $10 (Google checkout), total of $59.

Will keep you guys updated on the results, and let's hope it sounds way better than my TriPort. Wish me luck on it, or maybe, I don't need any luck at all, as everyone here claimed that Grado would kick Bose's ass, hands down?

Like I said, I listen to all kinds of music, mostly pop, rock, rap, actually I listen to any kind of music that's good, I even play Beatles, Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc, and even classical music once a while, and I play games as well, so that's what I do with my headphones.

May 13, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #37 of 81
The wood box and "torx" screws definitely make it sound like a grado ra-1. Of course it would say grado on the front.....

May 13, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #38 of 81
Quote:

I've just placed an order for SR60 from JR.com, bought it for $69 - $10 (Google checkout), total of $59.

Will keep you guys updated on the results, and let's hope it sounds way better than my TriPort. Wish me luck on it, or maybe, I don't need any luck at all, as everyone here claimed that Grado would kick Bose's ass, hands down?

Good job, I think you'll like 'em
smily_headphones1.gif

Just don't forget to take the Bose back
tongue.gif

May 13, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #39 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by jowille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The wood box and "torx" screws definitely make it sound like a grado ra-1. Of course it would say grado on the front.....

I don't think that torx screws and wood changes the sound of an amp
wink.gif

May 13, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #40 of 81
Get the DT770/80's if you're looking for closed cans. Though I hear that the Equation RP-21 is pretty good too (and a lot cheaper).

Here's a thread for entry-level headphones.

- lk

May 13, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #41 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by jowille /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe his father made a clone of the RA-1? I have seen clones being sold on e-bay.

May 13, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #42 of 81
Quote:

Like I said, I listen to all kinds of music, mostly pop, rock, rap, actually I listen to any kind of music that's good, I even play Beatles, Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc, and even classical music once a while, and I play games as well, so that's what I do with my headphones.

I just picked up some MS-1s, which aren't that far from the SR-60s, and they're surprisingly good for most of those genres. I say surprisingly because I already had a pair of DT770s which cost me twice as much, and the MS-1s are better in most respects, at least with a tube amp.

The only notable disappointment I've had so far is with orchestral classical pieces. I finally understand what people mean when they say Grados lack soundstage -- there's no sense of space or scale, seems like the entire orchestra is crammed into a small room. But for rock/pop/rap that's not really a concern.

May 14, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #43 of 81
I don't think it's a Grado RA-1, as it doesn't have the GRADO logo in the front, it just looks like some generic stuff, but I do think it's good quality though, as I have been using it for almost 2 years now, and have never had any problems.

May 14, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #44 of 81
I just called up GradoLabs and to ask if they have a dealer nearby, and apparently they do around Des Moines, Iowa, which is 40 miles from where I am.

I even asked them how do the Alessandro MS-1 compare to SR60/80/125, and she said MS-1 is better than all 3 of those, and I told her they sell for $99 which is cheaper than the SR125, and she was surprised.

Anyway, I might give Audio Labs, Des Moines, Iowa, a visit later today when I'm done with my stuffs, will test them out and see how things work out.

May 14, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #45 of 81
Quote:

I just called up GradoLabs and to ask if they have a dealer nearby, and apparently they do around Des Moines, Iowa, which is 40 miles from where I am.

I even asked them how do the Alessandro MS-1 compare to SR60/80/125, and she said MS-1 is better than all 3 of those, and I told her they sell for $99 which is cheaper than the SR125, and she was surprised.

Anyway, I might give Audio Labs, Des Moines, Iowa, a visit later today when I'm done with my stuffs, will test them out and see how things work out.

Not necessarily better, but more balanced. Depends on taste if one keeps it better than normal Grado. But Alessandros are still definetly a bargain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back