Bose QuietComfort 2 vs Regular Headphones
Aug 24, 2011 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

D Rose

New Head-Fier
I've recently started getting into headphones.

My first pair were the ATH-M50's and I sold them because they were too neutral for more, although, they did sound great.

I was about to order the Sony XB500's when I found these Bose QuietComfort 2's lying around, dusty, in father's closet.  

These sound real nice and the Noise Cancellation is nice!  I looked more into these and I was surprised I found $300 dollars headphones lying around.  

Anyways, I was wondering how these compare to regular headphones in the same price range?  In term's of quality, sound, bass, durabitlity, etc.  Because I feel like these are only $300 because of the noise cancellation, while on regular headphones I can already sort of cancel outside noise since they're already ON my ear, especially at high volumes.

Input would be great, thanks.

Aug 24, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 8
There are some comparison threads, take a look at this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/239928/bose-quietcomfort-2-vs-3-sony-mdr-v6-mdr-v600-mdr-v900

Aug 26, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 8
Thank you for that, it was helpful.  I was looking for different comparisons, however.  Like are there 200~ headphones that sound better than the Bose QC2's?  I want to know if you're paying extra for the noise cancellation, bose brand, and how much etc.  I especially want to know if there are better headphones out there at the same price range without noise cancellation.  Thanks

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
 Like are there 200~ headphones that sound better than the Bose QC2's?  I want to know if you're paying extra for the noise cancellation, bose brand, and how much etc.  I especially want to know if there are better headphones out there at the same price range without noise cancellation. 

Yes to all these question.  The only reason to consider these heaphones is the noise cancellation, which is said to work well.  I  don't know by "how much" you pay for the bose name & noise cancellation, but the brand is often bashed here. I'd get some IEM instead, if I  want to keep isolation.

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 8
What are the best headphones around the 200~ range, with bass being their primary attribute?  I only happened to find these headphones, and I plan on selling these to buy better sounding headphones with clear sound and bass.  I am only looking for headphones right now, not really into IEMs.  

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
What are the best headphones around the 200~ range, with bass being their primary attribute? 

I  would consider the AIAIAI TMA-1 . Bass is their "primary attribute", reviews are usually positive, and they have a great look.

EDIT: you said you found the ATH-M50 not enough bassy, so it's not obvious.

I  think this topic can help you:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/566171/ultrasone-hfi-580-vs-xb700

Aug 27, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #7 of 8
I've read a lot of good things about the Ultrasone-HFI580 among the internet so I think I'm going to go for it until I find something that will sway me otherwise.  

Does anyone know the resell value of my Bose QC2?  Planning to sell QC2 and buying HFI580's.  

Thanks for everyone's help

Aug 27, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #8 of 8
I  wouldn't eliminate completely the AIAIAI TMA-1  from my choices. The "bass head" dfkt  (owner of anythingbutipod website)  seem to enjoy them.
I  didn't find much comparison of the AIAIAI TMA-1 with other headphones, but I  quote dfkt:
Quote:
The TMA-1 sound very good already to my ears, after maybe ~15 hours of playback. They're more balanced than the HFI-780, with a richer, fuller midrange, and a very nice timbre. The HFI have brighter, sparklier treble, and more bass quantity. Dynamics and punch are maybe a bit better on the TMA. Soundstage is about the same on both - Ultrasone's 'S-Logic' stuff never did anything special for me.

So I don't know what matters the most for you "punch", or "bass quantity" .It seems that the hfi-580 has more "bass quantity" than the hfi-780 (and then the TMA-1)

Also if you care that much of bass, I would spend more and go directly to the ultrasone pro 900, that are praised a lot by bass heads.
Quote:
Does anyone know the resell value of my Bose QC2?

Look at ebay, it would be the best place to resell them, as people here do not care much of Bose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back