Bose Quiet Comfort 15 (QC15): Impressive noise cancellation
Nov 20, 2010 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

wind016

Headphoneus Supremus
I tried them at Best Buy and I must say that I was VERY impressed by the noise cancellation. Repetitive sound or not, it canceled it out very well. Also, listening to the demo track, I found the headphones to be of a warm character and the highs to be a tad bit grainy. The highs were still not grainy enough for me to completely disregard them as travel headphones.

What are your opinions? Impressions, reviews, comparisons welcome =)

Nov 20, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 89
Though I don't have the QC15's, I have the QC2's which are pretty much quite alike. I do agree that the noise cancellation is superb, though for music, the sound quality isn't quite to my liking. But when I'm watching a movie, it functions quite well.

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 89
Tried them before myself. My impressions were that they were decent headphones, but not worth the money. My biggest gripes were:
1) Sound quality not consistent with price
2) Build quality not consistent with price

Basically, if they were cheaper I wouldn't have a problem recommending them. As things are, if you're in the market for a fullsize noise canceling headphone, consider the audio technica ath-anc7b. Or if you're just looking for isolation, consider getting a custom IEM. Alienears and 1964ears both have dual drivers under $300, and single drivers for ~$200.

Nov 21, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 89

Quote:
May I ask what exactly do you not like about the QC2's sound?

This pretty much answers your question. Don't fall into the Bose marketing hype. They are a worse value than the Monster Beats.
Quote:
Tried them before myself. My impressions were that they were decent headphones, but not worth the money. My biggest gripes were:
1) Sound quality not consistent with price
2) Build quality not consistent with price

Basically, if they were cheaper I wouldn't have a problem recommending them. As things are, if you're in the market for a fullsize noise canceling headphone, consider the audio technica ath-anc7b. Or if you're just looking for isolation, consider getting a custom IEM. Alienears and 1964ears both have dual drivers under $300, and single drivers for ~$200.

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 89
I've mentioned it before and I'll say it again. For noise cancelling, Bose is really second to none. Many people who adore Bose noise cancelling headphones (including those outside of headfi), don't really prioritize on the sound quality. Some people just want some peace and quiet on an airplane. For that, Bose QCs get the job done. Of course, there's always the alternative of using IEMs, but not everyone likes sticking something into their ear canals. I've come to understand after joining head fi that Bose is not the best for sound quality (argueably one of the worst). Still, when I board a flight and put my Bose QCs on, the peace created and the comfort of the 'phones is a reasonable comprimise for not having good sound quality for the duration of my flight.

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 89

Quote:
I tried them at Best Buy and I must say that I was VERY impressed by the noise cancellation. Repetitive sound or not, it canceled it out very well. Also, listening to the demo track, I found the headphones to be of a warm character and the highs to be a tad bit grainy. The highs were still not grainy enough for me to completely disregard them as travel headphones.

What are your opinions? Impressions, reviews, comparisons welcome =)

I agree that the NC is quite impressive. But I do find that it does cause some discomfort to my eardrums when on (I did own the QC2s for travel). But they sounded pretty bloated and muddy and not very nice overall (both the QC2 and QC15s).

Not to mention, my IEMs are better still for isolated outside noise, sound WAY better and are much more portable.

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #11 of 89

Quote:
I've mentioned it before and I'll say it again. For noise cancelling, Bose is really second to none. Many people who adore Bose noise cancelling headphones (including those outside of headfi), don't really prioritize on the sound quality. Some people just want some peace and quiet on an airplane. For that, Bose QCs get the job done. Of course, there's always the alternative of using IEMs, but not everyone likes sticking something into their ear canals. I've come to understand after joining head fi that Bose is not the best for sound quality (argueably one of the worst). Still, when I board a flight and put my Bose QCs on, the peace created and the comfort of the 'phones is a reasonable comprimise for not having good sound quality for the duration of my flight.

For that reason I'd consider the QC 15.  I do spend a significant amount of time on airplane rides in my line of work, and my ears don't like to have anything stuck in them for extended periods of time without getting irritated, which rules out IEMs for me.  If all I have to worry about is decent SQ and being made fun of by an audiophile who happens to spot these on my head then I think I'll be okay.  But like always, Bose prices are ridiculous. 

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #12 of 89
I used to own the QC15 among others.  It has the best noise canceling implementation.  Like the earlier posting, sound wise just OK, but as long as you don't expect the same SQ you get from your home cans, you'll be fine.  It is also very comfortable to wear for long periods of time.  If you prefer a higher end SQ over the noise cancellation, give the Denon AH-NC732 a try if you don't mind them being on the ear versus around the ear, which may effect long term comfort.

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #13 of 89
wind016,

I think everything you said is completely what Bose was aiming for with them.  Did you notice at best buy when you click the demo button they have the airplane outside simulation noise on? Plus with the small size, light weight, simple look, and super super comfortable feel...I can see why people buy them for travel.

It's funny that you brought it up because I had a listen today, the QC3, at my buddy's house who is actually is a pilot.  I didn't think they were aweful, but they are definitely not great.  The noise cancellation impress me every time, you hear almost nothing except the voice of other with no echo.  SQ wise I thought the high and lows are easy to listen to although as you pump the volume up they start to show a lot of flaws.  The headphone can be grainy, muddy, and are contains quit a bit of sibilance...actually unacceptable amount of sibilance to me which probable shows how colored they are.  Vocal of artist sounds almost like as if he/she has a lisp.  I was surprise that the QC3 does pack somewhat of a punch and can go decently low with the bass.  Although the bass lack tightness and refinement and are bloated.  I didn't have a long listen session and also didn't have another headphone to compare them to at that moment.  But for the brief listening, I did think to myself that the price of them are sort of ridiculous considering AT ANC are close to $100 and I would never buy them. 

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #14 of 89
Audiophile headphones like HD800, T1, PS1000 won't worth the money for just a short period of listening either.
QC15 is so comfortable, you won't take it off during the flight or trip.
I'm not a frequent flyer, but the fact that QC15 helps me rest during my cross Pacific flight, cross continent flight, and long distance driving makes it worth every penny.
Everything will be crazily expensive if one just buy it for 5 minutes of coolness.

Quote:
wind016,

I think everything you said is completely what Bose was aiming for with them.  Did you notice at best buy when you click the demo button they have the airplane outside simulation noise on? Plus with the small size, light weight, simple look, and super super comfortable feel...I can see why people buy them for travel.

It's funny that you brought it up because I had a listen today, the QC3, at my buddy's house who is actually is a pilot.  I didn't think they were aweful, but they are definitely not great.  The noise cancellation impress me every time, you hear almost nothing except the voice of other with no echo.  SQ wise I thought the high and lows are easy to listen to although as you pump the volume up they start to show a lot of flaws.  The headphone can be grainy, muddy, and are contains quit a bit of sibilance...actually unacceptable amount of sibilance to me which probable shows how colored they are.  Vocal of artist sounds almost like as if he/she has a lisp.  I was surprise that the QC3 does pack somewhat of a punch and can go decently low with the bass.  Although the bass lack tightness and refinement and are bloated.  I didn't have a long listen session and also didn't have another headphone to compare them to at that moment.  But for the brief listening, I did think to myself that the price of them are sort of ridiculous considering AT ANC are close to $100 and I would never buy them. 

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #15 of 89
Since IEMs can't stay in my ears for too long, NC is definitely an alternative for me. If anything, I'll wait until after tax season or when the price for a used one goes down substantially. Ebay prices do not seem so bad. ~$175 for a QC3 from $350. I have to take a noisy train downtown daily so its NC may be very welcome. It may help a lot during my studies at a cafe on the weekends too.

The impressions I have heard here so far do not sound good. Sibilance for the QC3 (huge problem for me with vocals); bloated bass; muddy sound
Some more specifics on the sound would be greatly appreciated. Since most of my music involves a heavy amount of vocals, descriptions of that aspect would be great, but descriptions of the QC15 in particular would be excellent.

alphaphoenix: I'll take a look into what those Denons have to offer. You say you had the QC15. How were the vocals? Any sibilance?

soundeffect: The QC3 looks even more comfortable than the QC15. Those soft pads... 

Long-term impressions would be best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back