Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones
Jun 30, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #213 of 1,152
Goodbye desktop stack. (Gungnir1>MJ1>HE6)
Goodbye portable brick. (Dacport>Quickstep>RE600)

QC35's have "just" enough audio quality (about 50% of my desktop stuff) that I can give up being stationary with the above.

Maybe when I'm not on the move so much I'll go back.

*Also moving to speakers*

Jul 1, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #214 of 1,152
You love the Bose sound sig better than your current sig. Bose knows how to make their QC headphones sound incredibly fun, but I prefer a more neutral sound signature.

Jul 1, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #217 of 1,152
  whats better v-moda crossfade wireless or these?

Better at what - sound? Noise cancellation? Comfort? Low-end? Mids and highs? Total value?

They have a massive difference in that one offers ANC and one doesn't, so comparisons are difficult if you're vague. It's like asking what's better between an SUV and a sedan.

Jul 1, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #218 of 1,152
Total value they are $508 here in canada so expensive for me ..i like a little bit of a warmer sounding headphone ...the sound and lows and highs i know neither has aptx which is a bummer but is the bose really it?

Jul 1, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #222 of 1,152
  The bass does not distort when I do the test with "Those Days" on mine. There's no difference when I break the seal...

That's strange. Are you playing the version from Spotify Free or Premium? For me it happens at higher volumes when I slightly break the seal on 2 pairs from quite different batches.

If possible, try it here at around 1:22: 

https://open.spotify.com/track/2CylUcZGI81nhek3kJQkJ3

at volume close to 90-100% with headphones slightly unsealed.

Jul 1, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #223 of 1,152
I just replicated the issue. To me it's no big deal. I don't see myself having the music that loud and listening to it with it pulled slightly away from my ear.

Question: Could it be that when you pull it slightly off of your ear, the outside mic picks up the deep bass and tries to cancel it out which causes the distortion?

To cancel out that kind of bass, while playing that bass is a lot of work for such a small driver.

Dan

Jul 1, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #224 of 1,152
I just replicated the issue. To me it's no big deal. I don't see myself having the music that loud and listening to it with it pulled slightly away from my ear.

Question: Could it be that when you pull it slightly off of your ear, the outside mic picks up the deep bass and tries to cancel it out which causes the distortion?

To cancel out that kind of bass, while playing that bass is a lot of work for such a small driver.

Dan

I completely agree. I also don't find it as an issue as it doesn't happen under normal conditions. I just tested it because the other user was wondering if it's a flaw of his pair. The headphones are built to sound good when properly worn/sealed. 

Jul 1, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #225 of 1,152
Had the opportunity to try these out at BestBuy and spent almost an hour with the two pair they had on demo.

These are easily the best headphones Bose has made.

Pros:
Exceptional noise cancelling. I always get a weird feeling with NFC, it's like your ears went through depressurization. Though I got that feeling, it wasn't unsettling, actually was kinda cool - you feel like you've been immersed in a protective audio bubble. :)

Highly dynamic sound - there is something very unique about the digital signal processing they are using. It is both a positive and a negative. The sound is balanced at all volume levels - they advertised this as a feature and is one of the cool things about built-in amplification and tuned DSP. It is a juicy sound, both exciting yet easy to listen too (that's pretty much the Bose house sound right there). For the majority of commercial music, pop, EDM, practically anything that goes through the radio the QC35 makes you 'feel' like you are listening to it right off the mixing desk.

The bass is prominent, north of neutral but it works well.

Very comfortable, a bit of heft but still light.

Easy pairing with Bluetooth

Cons:

Over processed sound - while this is Bose best implementation, they have still opted for a more artificial commercial sound. This is especially apparent in the higher registers. A good test is listening to sounds that produce essentially natural pink noise such as environmental sounds of rain, thunder, wind. These are familiar sounds and are easy to hear if something sounds unrealistic.

To me this is where the QC35 lose out. They are unable to produce a realistic reproduction of these upper mid-range transients. As punchy and dynamic as they sound, these harmonic registers almost sound blurred. Rain sounds, for instance, seem like they are missing transients or at the very least are very attenuated.

Now just for comparison, even at BestBuy there were a few headphones that could at least get some of this upper range right and produce a sense of soundfield. Of course some of Sennheisers offerings were able to, one such performer were the cheap $30 HD201s, the HD280 and Bose Soundlink to name a few (though all had sonic flaws of there own).

Now is this a big deal? Well if you are expecting audiophile sound out of the QC35, a headphone whose technology heavily relies on DSP to balance out its Noise Cancelling is likely expecting too much.

I'm not sure if it is by design or a limitation of the combined technology of the QC35, but it doesn't sound natural. It almost sounds a bit 'hot' - an engineering and mixing term - when something is being pushed too high through an analog mixer. It still comes across as clear, but it isn't portraying the whole story in a neutral or audiophile way - in part due to its EQ curve and also in part to the DSP. Now I only tested it with Bluetooth via an IPhone 6 so perhaps t sound different otherwise, but I do feel this is its intended sound and what most would experience.

Compared to an HD650 for instance - if you wanted one purely for sonics you would get the HD650. It's is all-round more balanced and detailed. They are comparable being practically in the same price bracket.

Couple small things - on both pair they had on display, the right cup has a horizontal line where two component pieces come together. On both, there was a small uneven gap where these pieces met. Otherwise the finish was good but nothing too premium considering the price.

I also had issues streaming Bluetooth to one of the headphones from my iPhone 6. It would cut out a bit and I got some drops and I had to contually get my iPhone to 'forget' the device to reconnect. I'm thinking this may have been due to interference from the Bose display setup.

Final impressions: get these if you need wireless, best-in-class noise cancellation, comfort and a fun headphone that you can take anywhere. I would recommend having a more neutral open headphone either planar or dynamic as a main though (HD650, LCD2, Fidelio X2, HE560 etc). They are pretty pricey, and if you want the best sonics, at a similar price new or used, there are better overall sonic performers. However, if you like the sound of the QC35 then it may matter little to you. Like I said in my pros above, it is very unique and interesting DSP effect, one that really hits you immediately but may wear it's welcome. I don't think the vast majority of the target audience for this headphone would notice or care though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back