Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones
Sep 6, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #451 of 1,152
Sounds like pilot error to me :wink: I've had the unit for not very long but turn it on and off many, many times per day. I'm careful with all my kit.

I worked at Apple in a past life and have dealt with such issues before. Users claiming something is poorly made by a giant company like Apple or Bose. I spent most of my time on the job educating customers.

In any event, if I am wrong and there is an issue, given my past experience with Bose in the UK, I'm sure they will look after us all.

Happy listening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the reviews for yourself.
https://www.amazon.com/Bose-QuietComfort-Wireless-Headphones-Black/product-reviews/B01E3SNO1G?filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews
I'm hoping I was just unlucky, but I got a bit worried when I read about how many people had the same problem.

The button actually feels a bit more solid on my new pair.
I cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #452 of 1,152
I worked at Apple in a past life and have dealt with such issues before. Users claiming something is poorly made by a giant company like Apple or Bose. I spent most of my time on the job educating customers.

There are many of us former 6-color-heads around....in my case it was my first job out of college in the Sculley era.  Man, I'm old. :)

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #454 of 1,152
OK, here is my first impression review, listening to these noise cancelling headphones while in the air between Nashville and Minneapolis (thank you in-air Wifi!).

Performance is pretty strong with these units....again as I said before, they easily surpass the QC15s I used to own so if an owner is contemplating upgrading,  The size is right, the weight is good and the controls are easy to get used to.  I will take one thing back in that there is some in-ear pressure against my eardrum that would limit my listening to them for extended periods of time, but not likely to be an issue on a typical 3 hour flight for me.  And again, still better than the QC15s I had before.

Audition artist choice:  Mario Biondi
Album: Due (with the Unexpected Glimpses)
Genre: Jazz vocals
Format: Apple Music AAC 256k

One thing I'm not a big fan of is the bluetooth performance in terms of sound quality.  It's ok and I recognize that Bluetooth will have its limits.  What I'm having a hard time figuring out is whether the issue is with Bluetooth itself or the D/A converter built into the chipset.  I'm thinking it's probably a combination of the two.  Bluetooth performance as far as syncing with my phone works well enough and I've activated the auto-shutdown feature to minimize the use of the power switch which other have complained about the durability.  

But I applaud Bose for including the ability for these cans to do wired listening.  Whatever reservation you have about the Bluetooth musicality is erased when you go wired and especially when you combine it with a quality DAC.  In my case, I have my Oppo HA-2 along for the ride on this flight and the difference is nearly night and day.  Vocals are crisper instead of muddled, I get a better soundstage (although it's not going to rival a non-ANC headset at all) and both treble and midrange are better.  And this is with compressed music from Apple Music.  

Audition artist choice: David Elias
Album: Acoustic Trio - DSD Sessions
Genre: Folk
Format: DSD 2.8Mhz

Switching over to my Hi-res collection on my iPhone 6 Plus, I chose David Elias for the high quality DSD recordings mainly encompassing very few instruments and a single voice.  His recordings are about as close to you can get for a simple presentation where you are looking for the purity of the music itself.  The Oppo DAC brings out the proper string plucks I expect in this music from his guitar.  Considering the noise of the flight outside the cans, the performance is pretty nice.  I can barely hear voices nearby and the low frequency rumble of the planes engines are way off in the distance.

One thing I have noticed is that the QC35s seem to discriminate on what noises from the outside it will let in.  The is most prevalent with trying to speak to the flight attendant.  If the F/A is talking in front of me, I can barely hear him.  But on the ground when he was speaking through the P/A system, I could clearly hear him (although not over all frequencies).  I don't know if this was an intentional move my the engineers to design for this, but it works well for hearing flight instructions despite being in ANC mode.

Audition artist choice: John Coltrane
Album: Blue Train
Genre: Jazz
Format: ALAC 192 khz/24 bit

I'm listening to Coltrane since I have it and EVERYONE has listened to this album at some point.  This is an old recording (obviously) so it's not going to be as clean a noise floor as a recently recorded DSD recording, but it's still a nice presentation.  I don't quite have the same soundstage as listening at home in my 2 channel room and I certainly don't have the soundstage of some of the higher end cans I heard at a speaker event in Nashville in 2014 (Mr Speaker, Audeze, HifiMan, etc) but that's not really fair considering the task at hand.  I'm sure that some of the closed planar headphones would sound interesting in flight but couldn't keep all of the low frequency noise out.  If I turn off ANC and go with regular presentation, the low frequency noise is very noticeable (although obviously better than just a simple pair of Apple EarPods).

So in the end, is it worth $350?  It's pricey but it's clearly the best in class for noise cancellation.  Construction is various plastics and synthetic materials which is fine but not as rich as what the Head-fi crowd expects from many brands.  But if you are in planes a lot like I am, it's a no brainer.  But if you don't own a portable DAC, I would strongly suggest investing in one...it makes everything with this product so much better.

One more comment on the QC35 + Oppo HA-2:  I'm finding best performance on the high gain setting, which surprised me a little.  On low gain, the volume as driven by the unit is ok but I ended up turning up the amplication up to near full just to get a decent presentation.  High gain gives me adequate headroom so I can adjust for the music I'm listening to. The wired connection cable included is pretty cheap and thin, but caution on replacing it with a better cable since it's 3.5" on the phone side and 2.5" on the headphone side....so it's not the easiest to replace (although I'm sure Monoprice has something).  And I'm sure that Bose will make a Lightning->2.5" connector when the new iPhone drops tomorrow.

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #455 of 1,152
  Be careful with the On/Off button on these headphones. Mine broke a couple of days ago after 2 months of usage.
I wanted to turn off the QC35 when the button got all loose and there were no resistance in the button anymore. So I could not turn off the headphones.
I drove back to the store, no problem exchanging them for a brand new pair. But now I'm very careful with the button.
Then when I got home I read a lot of bad reviews over at amazon about people having the power button broken after just a couple of weeks.
Many of the 1 and 2 star reviews is about the broken power button.

I now have the headphones to auto shut off after 5 min so I don't need to use the power button anymore, other than for pairing new bluetooth sources of course.
So I just leave the button in the ON position from now on, and let them auto shut off after 5 mins.
With the price tag these headphones carry the power button should not get broken after a couple of months, that's just not ok.

Besides that I love the headphones.

They are still under warranty and the folks at Bose are quite good with stuff like this I've heard.

Sep 11, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #456 of 1,152
Hi, Am connecting my bose qc35 to my mac.Works fine, then when i try connecting to my nexus 6 device i get cannot connect to bose qc35 because of inccorect pin or passkey. If I go on to clear device list from my bose, following this link https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/article/clearing-the-headphone-pairing-list-qc35.html . I connect to my nexus 6..all goes well.Then when i try to connect to my mac, this time i get on my mac unsuccessful pairing. So am I allowed to just connect my bose qc35 to one bluetooth device?? I cannot connect to multiple devices at same time? I want to use my phone to listen to phone calls and my mac to listen to music.

please help me with my problem. thank you

Sep 11, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #457 of 1,152
Hi, Am connecting my bose qc35 to my mac.Works fine, then when i try connecting to my nexus 6 device i get cannot connect to bose qc35 because of inccorect pin or passkey.

If I go on to clear device list from my bose, following this  given on bose.

Slide the power switch to the Bluetooth® symbol and hold for 10 seconds, until you hear “Bluetooth device list cleared.”

Delete your Bose® QuietComfort® headphones from the Bluetooth list on your device.
All Bluetooth devices are cleared and the headphones are ready to pair a new device.

I connect to my nexus 6..all goes well.Then when i try to connect to my mac, this time i get on my mac unsuccessful pairing.

So am I allowed to just connect my bose qc35 to one bluetooth device?? I cannot connect to multiple devices at same time? I want to use my phone to listen to phone calls and my mac to listen to music.

thank you for help

Sep 11, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #458 of 1,152
After years using IEMs in airplanes I'm finally thinking about getting something bigger/comfier and with active noise cancelation.

I was going to try the QC35, given the mostly positive reviews, but now I'm curious about the new MDR-1000X with those tricks on the touchpad. Maybe Bose has a decent rival? Or not?

Anyone had a chance to compare QC35 and 1000X?

Sep 11, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #459 of 1,152
  So am I allowed to just connect my bose qc35 to one bluetooth device?? I cannot connect to multiple devices at same time? I want to use my phone to listen to phone calls and my mac to listen to music.

Have you downloaded the Bose Connect app to your phone? There you can manage all the devices you're paired with, and turn off the ones you don't want to use at the moment.

You can be paired to two devices simultaneously, but the others remain in the list. They can be connected or disconnected from the app, but you can only connect to two at one time.

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #460 of 1,152
After years using IEMs in airplanes I'm finally thinking about getting something bigger/comfier and with active noise cancelation.

I was going to try the QC35, given the mostly positive reviews, but now I'm curious about the new MDR-1000X with those tricks on the touchpad. Maybe Bose has a decent rival? Or not?

Anyone had a chance to compare QC35 and 1000X?

The MDR-1000X aren't coming out for another month so it's going to be a while before you see a direct comparison between those and the QC35's.  If the 1000X's are anything like the MDR-100ABN headphones, the QC35's will be better (in my opinion).  I had both and eventually settled on the QC35's due to their superior comfort and noise cancellation.  Bose only makes one pair of noise cancelling over-the-ear headphones, those are their flagship model and they show no signs of coming out with something different.  The QC35's are meant to compete with the MDR-1000X and even those more business oriented Sennheiser headphones that were released a few weeks ago (actually, both of those headphones were made to compete with the QC35's).

Like the Sony headphones, the Sennheiser's have tasks that can be done using the earcups but they have inferior noise cancellation and most reviews say that the Bose are more comfortable though sound quality tends to tip towards other models (not that the Bose are bad).

It all depends on what you prioritize with the headphones.  If noise cancellation and comfort are at the top of your list then nothing is going to beat the QC35's.  If you prioritize sound quality and are fine with OK noise cancellation then there are other options including the MDR-100ABN, those Sennheiser headphones, and likely the MDR-1000X.

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #461 of 1,152
  The MDR-1000X aren't coming out for another month so it's going to be a while before you see a direct comparison between those and the QC35's.  If the 1000X's are anything like the MDR-100ABN headphones, the QC35's will be better (in my opinion).  I had both and eventually settled on the QC35's due to their superior comfort and noise cancellation.  Bose only makes one pair of noise cancelling over-the-ear headphones, those are their flagship model and they show no signs of coming out with something different.  The QC35's are meant to compete with the MDR-1000X and even those more business oriented Sennheiser headphones that were released a few weeks ago (actually, both of those headphones were made to compete with the QC35's).

Actually they are already available, you can buy them in The Netherlands for next day delivery. Amazon Germany also lists them as being available this next weekend (18 Sept).

There aren't many reviews out there but it seems that in terms of noise cancelling the QC35 and 1000X are pretty much at the same level. One reviewer said the 1000X seemed better, but by a very small margin, i.e., this aspect doesn't seem to make a difference for purchase decisions. So the days of the QC35 as the model leading alone in noise cancellation seem to be over.

What they seem to be liking better is the extra features, the different modes and touchpad gestures on the earcups.
In terms of overall sound quality, I haven't read much yet. Same for comfort.

It's a matter of price/value. If the 1000X are considerably more expensive, I don't think they will be worth it, but at the same price or similar ir seems you get more for your money.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TY3xVaWyb4

I don't have any of the two so can't compare.

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #462 of 1,152
  Actually they are already available, you can buy them in The Netherlands for next day delivery. Amazon Germany also lists them as being available this next weekend (18 Sept).

There aren't many reviews out there but it seems that in terms of noise cancelling the QC35 and 1000X are pretty much at the same level. One reviewer said the 1000X seemed better, but by a very small margin, i.e., this aspect doesn't seem to make a difference for purchase decisions. So the days of the QC35 as the model leading alone in noise cancellation seem to be over.

What they seem to be liking better is the extra features, the different modes and touchpad gestures on the earcups.
In terms of overall sound quality, I haven't read much yet. Same for comfort.

It's a matter of price/value. If the 1000X are considerably more expensive, I don't think they will be worth it, but at the same price or similar ir seems you get more for your money.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TY3xVaWyb4

I don't have any of the two so can't compare.

They aren't available in North America yet so most of the reviews, from pro's and users here, won't be popping up until then.  The same thing happened with the MDR-100ABN headphones.  They came out in Europe and Asia first and then hit North America.  Most early reviews were unprofessional, focused on 5-minute "listening tests," and were rather bad.  I would also wait for reviews that actually measure the noise cancellation instead of just relying on "eh, I think one is better than the other" types of statements.  Until then, the QC35's will remain on top when it comes to noise cancellation as their results have been measured.

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #463 of 1,152
  They aren't available in North America yet so most of the reviews, from pro's and users here, won't be popping up until then.  The same thing happened with the MDR-100ABN headphones.  They came out in Europe and Asia first and then hit North America.  Most early reviews were unprofessional, focused on 5-minute "listening tests," and were rather bad.  I would also wait for reviews that actually measure the noise cancellation instead of just relying on "eh, I think one is better than the other" types of statements.  Until then, the QC35's will remain on top when it comes to noise cancellation as their results have been measured.

Agree on that, most comments are subjective. Some numbers will help. But it's already a good sign (or disappointing depending on the that the perceived impression is that they are "about the same".

I'm tempted to get a pair but truth is that I don't travel that often and usually drive to work so I don't use headphones in public transport. 400 is a lot of money considering the little use I'd give them. Which is annoying because I'd like to check them out :p

Sep 16, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #465 of 1,152
I just picked up the Limited Edition QC35 from the Apple Store yesterday. Other than the different color (Midnight Blue), I don't see any differences from the standard black and silver versions.

Testing them today in my home office and so far quite pleased. I didn't realize my neighbor had started mowing his lawn until I took them off. They completely silenced the sound. They are also doing a good job lowering the volume of my daughter's trumpet practicing right now. It's also a little weird how they completely cancel out the sound of my typing.

The QC35 paired easily to my iPhone 6 and Mac Pro and switched between the two without trouble when a phone call came in. Using them in the call, I was told I sounded "crystal clear".

They are slightly heavier than my previous Soundlink Bluetooth headphones, but it's not noticeable when they are on my head. And they are certainly comfortable.

It's not really fair to compare these to the (cheap) Able Planet NC headphones I was previously using. But these significantly reduce noise and sound much, much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back