Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones
Aug 22, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #421 of 1,152

I have both, QC25 for over a year and 2 weeks with QC35.
Yes, the QC35 is smoother and can be worn for the entire JFK to LHR flight with no fatigue.  It also sounds quite nice at mid levels, where the QC25 needs a bit for gain.  The sound signatures are very much the same.  There maybe a bit more vertical headroom with the QC35 but we're splitting hairs.  The ANC is slightly better than the QC25, but the 20i, IMO is still champs.  

paul

Well the QC30s are out in a few weeks (hopefully). I'm gonna give them a listen.

Aug 22, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #422 of 1,152
Looking at a few of the more recent posts I'm happy to see I'm not the only one having these dropouts when out and about, although it also surprises me that we pay all this money and have to put up with very inferior quality as far as BT goes.

Anyway, I have no regrets and am really enjoying the silence and sound quality. I don't have any of the white noise issues others seem to have, although as someone who has played in bands for the past 30 years maybe my ears just aren't picking it up. I do hear more noise when the outside noise is quite high and higher pitched. Things like a nearby desktop fan for example. This I would think would be to be expected, and is more than masked once music starts playing.

Now I have the black pair I had to buy some black trainers to match :)

I just got the silver pair today after seeing them both on display.  I did notice, not just at this retailer, but at all retailers that are displaying the headphones, that the protein leather on the silver pair feel softer than the black.  Have you noticed this as well?  I'm don't think it will make a difference in sound, but perhaps comfort if there is slight movement of the headphones just thru typical use.

Aug 22, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #423 of 1,152
Hmmm, interesting you say that.
I never had a chance to compare both side by side but i did think the black pair felt a bit stiffer all round. Slightly tighter on my head as well. I put it down to black just looking more dense, and that it was just my imagination but yes, id agree with you over the softness.
Not sure id be right though. .

Aug 22, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #424 of 1,152
  Hmmm, interesting you say that.
I never had a chance to compare both side by side but i did think the black pair felt a bit stiffer all round. Slightly tighter on my head as well. I put it down to black just looking more dense, and that it was just my imagination but yes, id agree with you over the softness.
Not sure id be right though. .

Thank you for confirming, I am in fact, not crazy!

Also, has anyone else noticed a slight bump in "brightness" from firmware 1.0.5 to 1.0.6?  It also sounds like the ANC has a slightly higher audible "hiss"?  It's still VERY slight and doesn't really take away from the music experience, although it seems to allow some upper and upper-mid frequencies in a little easier.

Aug 22, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #425 of 1,152
  Thank you for confirming, I am in fact, not crazy!

Also, has anyone else noticed a slight bump in "brightness" from firmware 1.0.5 to 1.0.6?  It also sounds like the ANC has a slightly higher audible "hiss"?  It's still VERY slight and doesn't really take away from the music experience, although it seems to allow some upper and upper-mid frequencies in a little easier.

Or we are both crazy :)

Cant comment on the sound difference with the update though.

Aug 22, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #426 of 1,152

Well the QC30s are out in a few weeks (hopefully). I'm gonna give them a listen.

I expect this upcoming QC30 will have the best ANC, even improving on the current best 20i.
I have the 20i but still travel with the QC35 as the 20i just does not sit that comfortably for me, personally.
The 20i maybe more comfortable for others.
That said, the QC35 does have better overall sonic than the 20i.

paul

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #428 of 1,152
  In regards to the noise - I also get this on my desktop PC, but only when attaching to the 35s as a headset (Bluetooth HSP profile).  When I attach as "Headphones" (A2DP profile), the noise goes away and the sound quality is substantially better.

Make sure you're connecting with the right profile as it has serious impact on the sound quality.

Are these choices on windows PC?  

paul

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #429 of 1,152
Yes. In the Sound control applet in Windows you should see multiple entries for the QC35's.
It will show them as Hands free headset and Headphones. The Hands free mode will give a much lower sound quality.

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #430 of 1,152
  Yes. In the Sound control applet in Windows you should see multiple entries for the QC35's.
It will show them as Hands free headset and Headphones. The Hands free mode will give a much lower sound quality.

Thanks, I will give it a try.

paul

Aug 24, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #431 of 1,152

What adapter did you use to connect them to pc? Does the onboard mic work too with the adapter?

Aug 26, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #432 of 1,152
I flew yesterday for 5 hours including layover. Not a single drop out and I was never fatigued by the comfort or the sound. 

To those of you experiencing drop outs: Do you mostly experience them outside? I read the other day that bluetooth range is somewhat dependent on bouncing off walls. That may be why my inexpensive bluetooth inears drop out constantly when I am mowing my lawn. 

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #433 of 1,152
What adapter did you use to connect them to pc? Does the onboard mic work too with the adapter?

I use this one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009ZIILLI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I don't use them as hands free with my PC, but I did just try them with the Skype app and the mic does work. Only thing is you can't hear yourselves in the headphones (unless I'm doing something wrong).

I flew yesterday for 5 hours including layover. Not a single drop out and I was never fatigued by the comfort or the sound. 

To those of you experiencing drop outs: Do you mostly experience them outside? I read the other day that bluetooth range is somewhat dependent on bouncing off walls. That may be why my inexpensive bluetooth inears drop out constantly when I am mowing my lawn. 

It's the moving about that causes my dropouts. I have no complaints if I'm just sitting watching a film etc. I had none on the two flights and train journeys I've made.
And my issues really is that my cheaper BT headphones don't cut out anywhere near as much as my QC35's. Strangely enough though I am getting less now walking to and from work. I wonder if that's because a lot of people are away so they pavements are more empty. Less interference etc. Still doesn't explain why my cheaper ones are better though.

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #434 of 1,152
I just acquired my first Bose, the QC-35 thanks to an abundance of airline miles that were burning a hole in my pocket. Until now, my goto has been the RHA 750i IEMs. I am in no way an audiophile though I love listening to music, primarily jazz and blues. So far I haven't been on a plane with the QC-35, but I was wearing them at Starbuck's last night while I was reading and catching up on some mail. 

I had been there for awhile, and the Starbuck's was getting ready to close. They had put all the chairs up on tables and were running a floor polisher when I looked up. So lost was I in my own world with the QC-35 that I never heard any of that. I actually had to take the headphones off to hear that yes, indeed, the polisher was making noise, quite annoying noise in fact which is why I might have been the only customer still there. As I fly every week, noise cancellation was the primary reason I bought these. The constant sounds of airplane engine, even with good IEMs eventually gets fatiguing. I have no doubt that these will solve that problem.

At the same time, I do love good sound. I am not a bass-head, and I don't play my music at extremely loud-volumes (or I don't unless I am trying to drown something out). I did notice that the Bose sounds flatter than the RHAs. Enough so that I was playing with the iPhone EQ, something I never have bothered to do before. In my case the silence they provide is more than enough to make up for the flatness when I travel, but it was noticeable which  to me was surprising. I saw someone else mentioning "brightness" and that is what I guess I am missing. My ATF were a pair of Klipsch 10i which were very bright. Miles Davis never sounded as good. 

Over all, I am thrilled with the purchase, and while I may have a slightly flatter sound, it is still well defined, and because of the noise cancelling, in the environments I am in, they allow me to focus fully on the sound, not the environment.

On a final note, I made a few phone calls with them, something that I have struggled with on any corded headset. While i have not heard myself, I am told by people at the other end of the phone who generally have no problem telling me if I sound bad, that it sounded like I was talking directly into the phone, and they had no problem either hearing or understanding me. I am going to do some recordings of myself with them to hear personally, but I count that as a huge plus since a good portion of my days is on calls.

Aug 30, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #435 of 1,152
(same post as in the Sennheiser M2 Forum, might be of interest here too)

Hi Folks,

as I’m now a proud owner of both the Sennheiser Momentun Wireless 2.0 (Overear) and the Bose QC35, I wanted to share my thoughts with you.

To put it all into context, here’s the rest of my stuff:
I still own the QC15, which I don’t use anymore, because it is bested in any aspect by the QC20 (and of course is more mobile and has a microphone, so I use it as a headset in the office extensively). I do not have nor heard the QC25.
I also own a Philips Fidelio S2 InEar, which has a much better sound but unfortunately no ANC of course. I once owned the Fidelio X1 OverEar, also an incredible headphone, absolutely best buy in that price range.
I gave it away as I bought the Audeze LCD2, which is audiophile heaven for me and my personal reference (driven by Lake People G109P and a TEAC UD-H1 DAC).
My mobile source is a LG G5 with the B&O Hifi module.

So my quest for a wireless noise canceller began and I landed with the much lauded Sennheiser M2, and for 450€ I expected it to deliver. At first it didn’t.
Comfort wise it seems my ears are a little big and the pads are not as soft as the Boses, so I jump ahead and declare this round as a clear win for the QC35. That includes the rest of the ergonomics like the fiddly buttons as well.
The ANC also is by far not as strong as any Bose. In a loud office environment, where you want to block the voices of your colleagues, forget the M2 and go directly to a Bose. Also a bummer: Travelling on a train and going into a tunnel. With the QC20, there also is a loud pop, but only one time and then it is ok. The M2 however pops constantly while in the tunnel, making listening to music basically impossible. If you don’t have these situations, you might still be happy with the M2.
The biggest disappointment however was the sound. The M2 has a boost in the 2kHz band, which made it unbearable for me. I experienced a similar effect with the Hifiman HE560, couldn’t listen to it longer than a minute. As these cans make many other people very happy, I consider this as a matter of personal taste or a problem with my tinnitus. In comparison the S2 (or even the QC20) on the G5/B&O were by far superior to the unequalized M2.

I’m using the PlayerPro App as music player with the 10-band equalizer. I found a setting with -12db at the 2k band, which made the M2 bearable to my ears. But should that be really the solution for a 450€ can? I also tried the Sennheiser CapTune app, and besides the fact that it is featurewise a pathetic player app especially in comparison to the PlayerPro, it just doesn’t sound good. All the whole effects shebang didn’t help at all at it sounded diminished with every can I tried.

So I thought let’s try the QC35.
I already said everything about “Quiet” and “Comfort” above, Bose is still at the top here.
As Bose is declaring it the best Bose headphone ever, I was excited. But excitement vanished quickly….
No problem in the 2k band and no need to equalize, so far so good. And it is the typical smoothed Bose sound for the masses, so no surprise there. I didn’t expect any audiophile qualities at all, and that was not even the intention for this acquisition. But boredom? That I didn’t expect. I do not know how to describe it better, but the QC35 bores the crap out of me. Where the QC20 can be pimped by proper amplification, that is impossible with the QC35 obviously. Also I didn’t find any satisfying equalizer setting that turned things around.
In contrast to the M2. The equalized M2 has a far more enganging and dynamic sound, much better bass control and impact, and therefore gives me much more pleasure and fun listening to it.

Conclusion:
Obviously there is no good wireless noise canceller on the market at the moment. Every contender has its own strengths and weaknesses, and if you are lucky you will find a satisfying solution for specific situations.
So we have to wait for the next round, M3 or QC45 or whatever comes around.
If you can live with cables, go with the QC20 (i) and good amplification, so this will be a trusted companion for me for a little while longer. I also will give both the M2 and the QC35 a bit more time, at the moment I tend to keep the M2 for not too loud environments and wait for a good offer for the QC35 to give a non-audiophile colleague some quiet and comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back