Bose AE2 vs. Tri-Port/AE1, Comparison and Review
Feb 19, 2011 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Folding Chair

New Head-Fier
[size=small]The Bose AE2 is the next generation of Bose's famous Triport line, which was later renamed simply Around Ear, now retroactively referred to as AE1 in light of this new model, the AE2, i.e., Around Ear 2.[/size][size=small] [/size]

[size=small]Now, before I get to the AE2s (which is in the 5th to the last paragraph, if you want to jump ahead), let me put my views into a wider context. First of all, I have been an obsessive consumer and lover of the Triport/AE1s for about 7 years, so I come at this sympathetically and with high hopes. And I assure you, "consumer" is the right word, since every pair has broken in 6-12 months, in the wiring at the point of connection with the cans or the plug. I always returned them to Bose and got a new pair for $40 each time.[/size]

[size=small]Why such loyalty? As everyone here knows, Bose has always taken a lot of flack from the audiophile community for being overpriced and for sounding bad. But I think it's mostly undeserved, and the glib dismissals uninformative. They may be overpriced and the company is certainly undeserving of loyalty, but the Triports are definitely in the top echelon of performance for highly efficient headphones that work well with the low amplification of portable audio players such as the iPod or Walkman (yeah, I said "Walkman": I was porting my audio around town before the iPod even existed).[/size]

[size=small](Most people know this already, but here's my explanation of efficiency: It's a simple thing to find great sounding pair of headphones. There are dozens of models in the higher- and highest-end range that satisfy that need, ranging from $100 to $1000 and beyond. But if you want a pair of headphones for an iPod, there is a great limitation placed on what you can get. You have to get a pair that are highly efficient, meaning they can produce a loud sound with only a little power. Really cheap headphones (in the $20-40 range) do this just fine, and can sound passably decent as well. But if you want to do better than that, move up to a higher price point to get better quality, you find yourself at a bottleneck, where the higher the price and quality, the less efficient the speakers, so the more power that is needed to drive them. There are only a few models that hit the sweet spot between efficiency and sound quality, and the Bose Triports were always my favorites.)[/size]

[size=small]People often bring up AKG, Sennheiser, and Grado as being better for portable audio and cheaper than Bose. There is definitely something to this. The AKG K519DJ actually may sound a bit better than Bose Triports, based on my brief trial and comparison in a shop, though certainly not so drastically better as to justify the abuse heaped on the Triports, and I reckon it's close enough as to be debatable. (And I don't know how, if your complaint about the Triports is that the bass is boomy and unnatural, you could like the AKGs any better, as their bass response is even louder.) But the K519DJs have one fatal flaw: they don't cup over your ear, they sit right on it, and crush your lobes against your head. I had a $150 pair from Audio-Technica that did this, and after about 40 minutes of listening my ears hurt (the flesh, not the drums).[/size]

[size=small]However, if this type of design sits too lightly on your ears, it won't block out outside noise. I walk around Tokyo with my headphones on day in and day out, so isolation from the sounds of passing trucks and incoming subways is essential, not to mention isolating my music from the people sitting next to me on subway so as not to bother them. My Grado SR60s and SR80s have no sound isolation at all. Use Grados on a subway you'll hear all the track and tunnel noise and you'll treat everyone around you to whatever it is you're listening to, as I unwittingly did one day when my Triports were "in the shop", as it were. I'm grateful to the guy who was brave enough to point it out to me.[/size]

Incidentally, the Grados have another problem: the highs are harsh on loud rock. This is a problem I have with a lot of headphones that the audio elite claim are better than Bose. I always use Smells Like Teen Spirit as my acid test, and a speaker or headphone designed for the subtlest treble response of classical music will often fail with distorted guitar, and prove painful for your ears (the drum, not the flesh).

[size=small]So anyway, on-ear style is always going to naturally be a battle between ear-crushing and ambient-noise-allowing. I haven't had a chance to try most of the Sennheisers, but they seem to be mostly on-ear style and so would be subject to this criticism. [/size][size=small]I did try the Sennheiser HD 202s in the store, which are around ear, but they sat awkwardly on my head and left a gap at the bottom. Nobody has beat Bose for around-ear sound isolation and comfort in my book.[/size]

[size=small]So the Bose Triports are the only pair of headphones I have yet found that satisfy, for the following reasons:[/size][size=small] [/size]

[size=small]-Highly efficient, so sufficiently loud with iPod[/size][size=small] [/size]
[size=small]-Very good sound quality, big bass with non-harsh treble, even on loud rock like Nirvana[/size][size=small] [/size]
[size=small]-Comfortable to wear for hours on end[/size][size=small] [/size]
[size=small]-Sound is isolated[/size][size=small] [/size]

[size=small]All this to head off any critics from the pious audiophile gallery who might wish to dismiss me as uninformed and dismiss what I have to say about the Bose AE2s as having been the problem all along. So here's what I have to say:[/size]

The AE2s are not merely a cosmetic redesign of the Triports/AE1s, and to me they are certainly not an improvement. They have much worse sound. This past week I've tried direct comparisons with my current pair of Triport/AE1s on three different pair of AE2s in three different shops through my very own iPod (a 5.5 generation model, but that's a whole 'nuther story), and it isn't even close. It's not a subtle difference (like the difference between the 5.5 gen iPod and the Classic, but still, a whole 'nuther story). The AE2s are an entirely different headphone.

The AE2s first of all produce much less sound volume (even pushing them closer to my ears to compensate for the collapsed foam on my old pair). They are not sufficient to the task of being satisfying with the amplification of an iPod. Second, even adjusting for the lower volume, the bass response is much worse (and worse than others in their category, such as the AKGs I mention above). Basically, they finally do sound like the $10 pieces of crap the audiophiles have long accused them of being, but they still cost $150. These deeply unsatisfying headphones are a massive fail for Bose and a poke in the eye to their customers (not that anyone is surprised they would do such a thing).

[size=small]I do wish that AKG or Sennheiser or Grado or someone would come out with a pair of headphones as good as the Triports. I know they are respectable companies that care about their products and customers, and would not try to trick me into buying their newer, much-worse model by claiming it was an improvement over their previous model. I don't respect Bose, I don't like them, they just happened to make the only headphones I have ever loved. Here's hoping the five pair of Triports I've stockpiled (plus the two pair I have that are on their last leg) will last until someone makes a satisfactory pair again, or I figure out how to repair them.[/size]

Now, I have read some of the comments on this site from people who think the AE2s are finally a step in the right direction because the bass is much less boomy. So on second thought I'm willing to concede that maybe Bose was sincerely trying to move in the right direction with the AE2s. Probably not, but maybe.

[size=small]I'm open to suggestions for other headphones to try out so I can break my reliance on Bose, or of how to fix the Triports. I'm not sold on noise-canceling, as the ones I've tried seem to sound wrong somehow, and seem too complicated. [/size][size=small]I've heard people complain about sound pressure from the noise-cancelling waves, so maybe I'm psyching myself out. And last time I checked the noise-canceling apparatus required it's own battery and its own switch, and it hardly seems worth it with heavy 1-3 hours daily of use I put into my headphones. Hard enough keeping track of the charge on my iPod.[/size][size=small] [/size][size=small]A[/size][size=small]nd in-ear phones are uncomfortable, fall out easily, and kind of gross. I don't want to be reminded of my own ear wax every time I want to listen to music.[/size]

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #3 of 20
do you get any feedback on the tri-port's? the reason I ask is you mention how loud they are. I personally am the type to leave my music on the lowest setting (part of the reason I'm into IEM's is to preserve my hearing). I notice 'phones with lower impedence often play louder and reveal more "scatter" on low volumes; I'm talking like 5% vol here. headphones like my metrofi and triplefi's leave me using a line attenuator on my mobile phone..
While they may be efficient(usually the lack of impedence makes them easier to drive) the recognized battery life is a fairly indiscriminal gain. to me, te cost is handset noise(the scatter I mentioned earlier), and a headset potentially too loud for my low volume listening.

PS: I'm aware that I am a small portion of the targeted party

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 20
This is a well written and well thought out review.  Excellent work my good man!  I've had a chance to try out the Bose line(QC 3 and the on-ear) while shopping in Best Buy and they weren't half bad, certainly not total rubbish as some might contend here.  Now for some suggetsions for ya:

Beyerdynamic DT770 32 Ohm

Denon AH-D1100, D2000

Sennheiser HD558 ,HD598

In the above options, you'll find great comfort as well exceptional sound quality and they're easy to drive.

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 20
Denon DN-HP700 are an excellent choice for sound and drivability. They are a DJ style headphone though so may not be quite as comfortable if you wear glasses. I wear glasses myself and do find they make my ears sore after a couple hours of wearing them but they are more comfortable than alot of the portable headphones I have owned or tried. Sonically they have very deep bass that is tight, controlled, and impactfull, a clean mid-range that is not colored by the bass, and a very detailed and sparkly treble that rides the fine line between engaging and sibilant in a winning way. They have a better than average sound stage and very nice instrument seperation. Price wise they are also very nice as they retail in the US for around $100 from several online retailers.

Feb 20, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 20
I have tested the AE2 for almost 3 weeks. After the first week I purchased Denon 1100s, so I tested them together, and in all honesty Denon's blow the AE2 away in cold water.

AE2's were extremely disappointing. I honestly can not say how much dissatisfied I was while paying $150 for the phones, and the Denons cost $120.

Denon has a lot more volume output, a lot better soundstage, bass, treble, mids.

Both of the phones are not the best phones for listening to rock, they do a good job, but I think it could have been better.

Bose made me realize they made a product without taking any risk, they wanted to satisfy their customer base, which I am sure they did. Their customer base, I mean majority of them not really looking around and thinking Bose is one of the best brands out there.

I think order the Denons, try them out, they are almost as light as Bose, better sound, higher volume output, and look better quality as well.

In Apple store, I have tested a few other headphones they had hooked up on ipods, but maybe due to an overcrowded store, and much noise, I was not really impressed with their offerings of various brands, and their store sells stuff at MSRP which is way overpriced.

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #7 of 20
I haven't actually tried the AE series in a long time, so I can't recall how good their isolation is, but you might want to consider the $45 Audio Technica M30. It has decent isolation, very lightweight and comfortable, and I assure you the sound is both great (not just for the price) and sufficiently loud out of an iPod.

In terms of sound signature, the M30 is a little 'warm' to my ears. It had no harshness in the highs or overblown bass that I could detect.

Edit: One caveat though: the cable is long at 11 feet.

Feb 21, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #8 of 20
Well I have the AE2 and the Denon-1001.

I find the Denon's far too dark, too bassy, but for the price, a really good deal.

AE2's come off as clearer and exhibits cleaner punchy bass.

Well I guess another man's meant is another man's poison.

Apr 20, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #9 of 20
PX200 II, K518 modified...

The around ears at least sound somewhat decent but is grossly overpriced, especially for the build quality so for now I am anti-Bose. It is not just Bose though. 

Jun 10, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #10 of 20
I just bought a pair of the AE2s and my immediate reaction upon using them on my own system at home was one of keen satisfaction. The clarity was very impressive and I really did hear things for the first time that I had never heard previously on some of my music. I was at that point oblivious to the tide of dissent among audiophiles and general consumers against Bose products. OK, let me point out straight away though that these are my first pair of decent (or at least pricey) headphones so I'm going to be a little more impressed than others here. 

I started to do some more online reading and researching and it was only then that I realised that there are many more superior brands out there. I didn't even realise that THX certification existed until now and that Bose has had none of it's products certified. I'm feeling a bit dismayed and annoyed that I bought Bose based almost solely on their own claims through their marketing (mostly through their website). After looking at the reputation that brands such as B&W, Klipsch, etc. enjoy within the music profession, I must admit that if I could go back a few days I would not have bought the Bose headphones. I probably would have shelled out a little more and got a pair of B&W headphones.

However, even though I would now choose a different brand based on the reviews and expert opinions I've been reading, I still have to say I am enjoying these headphones and I think they are decent for the price. YES, they do certainly seem a bit overpriced. Nevertheless, the clarity of the sound and the isolation of sounds is really nice. I'm a novice to the world of high-end audio and I can't really compare these headphones to any others since this is my first decent pair EVER. So now that I've bought them I'll enjoy them as much as possible while making sure in future I do a bit more research before going out and purchasing and audio equipment. I'm so glad I didn't go out and buy a whole entertainment system manufactured by Bose - because I've been considering it for while. No way. In the past few days I've found out about wayyyyy better systems for the average consumer. So if it means saving for a little longer to get an entertainment system from the likes of MK, B&W, Klipsch, Infinity, Marantz, etc. then I'm all to happy to wait!

So I don't agree that they sound as bad as Folding Chair states in his review. My overall opinion of these headphones is very much in line with the review they received by PC magazine - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2373133,00.asp

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #11 of 20
I have nothing against bose. They made me find Sennheiser which got me into good headphones! I had a pair of the triports I for for christmas when I was 15 and kept thinking after I got them that there had to be something better out there. I caught word of Sennheiser and went out and bought the HD202's for $22 and was blown away. They beat the TriPorts by a mile which made me very happy. 

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #12 of 20
The new Bose AE2's are in my opinion much better than the Bose of old.  The bass isn't nearly as sloppy and overpowering as they once were.  Highs are decent, just not crisp.  The big let down for me was the mids again.  Bose just can't seem to pull it together in regards to mids!  EQ will take these headphones a long way for sure.  But I have to admit, Bose is getting better.  Just not there yet. 

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #13 of 20
Just traded in my first gen AEs for the AE2s. The earpads were flaking and headband cracked. 

Am about to listen to these babies after being "pampered" for the past few months using the AD2000s almost exclusively for home listening.

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #14 of 20
I would be fine with them if their treble didn't piss me off so much. It's just so... fake

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #15 of 20
Just exchanged Bose AE2 for Tri-Port.
They are a gift for my colleague. My self, i own pair of Tri-Port's for 8 years now.
Big fan. They are a bit fragile, but stunning sound quality and comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back