Bored of my HD-595s - looking for an upgrade
Oct 21, 2010 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Slides

100+ Head-Fier
Right now, I'm having more fun listening to music with my IE7 IEMs then the HD-595. Not sure if it's just the difference in using an IEM vs. a full size headphone, but perhaps I need to try something new.

My source is a Claro Halo soundcard that should be able to drive most headphones I think.

Should I stick with the Sennheiser sound or expand my horizons? I guess, I need something more 'fun' sounding, perhaps more bass will help (as long as it doesn't muffle clarity).

My budget is about $500 or less.

Oct 21, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 19
The DT990 600ohm is looking good right now, but can my Claro Halo drive it?

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 19
What type of music do you listen to? I have only experienced the DT990 for about 15 mins but it made me glad I bought my Denon D5000. I find the Denon's great fun for all types of rock, jazz, and most hip hop. 

Quote:
The DT990 600ohm is looking good right now, but can my Claro Halo drive it?

Oct 21, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 19

I listen to all types, but I would say alt. rock, metal, trance, electronic, dream wave/pop, some classical.

Quote:
What type of music do you listen to? I have only experienced the DT990 for about 15 mins but it made me glad I bought my Denon D5000. I find the Denon's great fun for all types of rock, jazz, and most hip hop. 

Oct 21, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 19
All I can think of are Beyerdynamic, Audio-Technica, and Grado for you.

Most Sennheisers don't have a "fun" sound I believe.

Oct 21, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 19
Fun = Grado. But definitely check them out first in person, there not for everyone. I fell in love with the 325IS for rock music. Plus you don't need a amp right away, they can be powered by your comp. Sens are great for classic, jazz, and the sort. If you like rock, then Grado's are amazing. $0.02 

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 19

Are the grado's comfortable to wear? Every picture I have seen make them seem like they sit on the ear instead of over it and from experience, I know that is not comfortable for me.

I'll try to see if I can test them out somewhere.

Quote:
Fun = Grado. But definitely check them out first in person, there not for everyone. I fell in love with the 325IS for rock music. Plus you don't need a amp right away, they can be powered by your comp. Sens are great for classic, jazz, and the sort. If you like rock, then Grado's are amazing. $0.02 

Oct 22, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 19
I found that the DT 880 600 ohm weren't much harder to drive than the 250 ohm version. I suspect the same is true of the Dt 990. these phones really benefit from a strong tube amp IMO.

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 19
I find Grados to be comfy. I'd probably look there first before considering AT as your HD595 might be a tad too similar. Different can be good
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #10 of 19
i've finally given up on full size headphones.  they are nice, but i just sent my ad700's back because i hate to say it but my skullcandy 15 dollar earbuds sound just as good as them.  maybe a little less details and stuff but they got way better bass and that makes up for it.  but as for me, i am sticking with IEM's from now on.  way more convienient and comfortable.

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
i've finally given up on full size headphones.  they are nice, but i just sent my ad700's back because i hate to say it but my skullcandy 15 dollar earbuds sound just as good as them.  maybe a little less details and stuff but they got way better bass and that makes up for it.  but as for me, i am sticking with IEM's from now on.  way more convienient and comfortable.

lol. The AD700s are noted for their lack of bass. I don't know why you bought them if you wanted bass. And then you refer to $15 Skullcandy earbuds. Also, the AD700s are also one of the most comfortable headphones, full-sized or not. Sennheiser's 5XX series also is similar to the AD700s, meaning they lack bass and impact. 

Try the DT990s or 880s if you want a different sound.

Oct 22, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #12 of 19

Quote:

I... don't know what to say...

I have the Fischer Audio DBA-02 IEM ($150) and the AD700's sound better than them.

Oct 22, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #13 of 19
i didnt say the skullcandy earbuds sounded better or even like the ad700's, but the bass and clarity is basically teh same.  teh ad700 by far have better details with stuff and everything, but im just saying i dont think it's worth 7x the skullcandy earbuds price.  i know they were extremely comfortable but 2 little earbuds are far more easier to maneuver with while gaming an stuff.  that is why im looking for a quality pair of IEM's.  im stuck between the UM-1 and the RE0 right now.  im leaning more re0 right now.

Oct 22, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
i didnt say the skullcandy earbuds sounded better or even like the ad700's, but the bass and clarity is basically teh same.  teh ad700 by far have better details with stuff and everything, but im just saying i dont think it's worth 7x the skullcandy earbuds price.  i know they were extremely comfortable but 2 little earbuds are far more easier to maneuver with while gaming an stuff.  that is why im looking for a quality pair of IEM's.  im stuck between the UM-1 and the RE0 right now.  im leaning more re0 right now.

It really is worth the price.. you can't get much better at it's price range.

You should keep the AD700's for use at home (which is their intended use) and buy IEM's for portable use. The clarity is NOT the same AD700. Not even close.

Oct 22, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #15 of 19
The 595's are excellent headphones. Perhaps what you need is a fun sounding headphone that won't break the bank. Look into the Fischer Audio FA-004. It's cheap, sound quality is excellent and it's a lot of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back