Boostaroo???
Mar 20, 2010 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

pearlgirl

New Head-Fier
Was in Radio Shack yesterday, and asked about boosting volume on an MP3 player, and the guy suggested a "Boostaroo". I searched the forums (quickly), and didn't see any information. Is this a decent option, or is it a piece of junk? I was going to get the FiiO E5, but just want to make the right choice.

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 11
The Boostaroo is more of a three-way splitter with a post amp than a pure amp. For solo listening purposes I wouldn't go with it.

Mar 20, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 11
The Boostaroo does just that - "boosts" the audio signal from your source. It also splits the signal to three outputs. There is no volume control.

I used one for years back in the day, with my portable CD player & a pair of Koss Sportapros. The Boostaroo is a bit "hissy", but the Koss' have a 60-ohm impedance, so the combo didn't sound bad (at least back then). With higher sensitivity earbuds or IEMs, the hiss would be intolerable though.

With the FiiO's available so inexpensively, and with a much smaller form factor, they are probably the better choice these days.

p.s. Welcome to Head-Fi to both of you!

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 11
How funny. I picked one of these up at Best Buy about 3 or 4 years ago. They do add a ton of volume to your source. Jpelg is right, there is some substantial hiss with this. I also think it decreases bass impact of the headphone. If that's possible? I don't know tons about amps, but I believe when i plug my Grado SR60i into this thing, the bass sounds more hollow. But, all in all, for a cheap amp, it does a decent job. It has an odd shape to it, so it's not easy to lug around.

Mar 20, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 11
Does it add more volume than a fiio e5?

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 11
I would guess no. I have one laying around but I dont remember where. I never tried it with anything decent, but I have only read negative things about it on here. Id say the Fiio beats it in almost every way.

It's smaller
Built in battery chargeable by standard USB
Volume control
Has a clip
Hard metal casing
Cheaper or close to the price I have seen the Boosteroo.

I thought I had another but thats plenty.
smily_headphones1.gif
Unless you want to compare how many people on here use a Fiio E5 to how many use the Boosteroo. The only thing the Boosteroo has on the fiio is that you can buy it in a local store instead of ordering online and waiting.
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #8 of 11
In addition to what has been said, I also found the Boosteroo to increase the graininess of the sound, which became annoying. I have never heard a Fiio E5, but I do have an E3, which is not grainy at all.

Oct 23, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #9 of 11
Someone on Amazon once recommended this amp over the Nuforce Icon Mobile (a $100 portable amp). He cited that the Icon did little to change his sound while the Boostaroo one did a lot more. I guess he meant increased volume output or something...

Oct 24, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #10 of 11
I had boostaro to boost the volume of my sub in the room, worked well but works better for watching movies on the go if u need 2-3 outputs from ur laptop or dvd player and have 3 ppl that need headphoens, worked great for my and my brother 2-3 years ago when we would ride in back of the car for 4-5 hours straight....but dont bother with it for any sort of quality sound. if u are that cheap get a Cmoy it will work better....or FiiO E5.

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 11

nonsupremous said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

How funny. I picked one of these up at Best Buy about 3 or 4 years ago. They do add a ton of volume to your source. Jpelg is right, there is some substantial hiss with this. I also think it decreases bass impact of the headphone. If that's possible? I don't know tons about amps, but I believe when i plug my Grado SR60i into this thing, the bass sounds more hollow. But, all in all, for a cheap amp, it does a decent job. It has an odd shape to it, so it's not easy to lug around.

Thanks for the posting, If only had got it earlier! It's very detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back