Bookshelf Speakers
Aug 3, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #61 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got tired of recutting wood so I had a friend help who has *much* better tools/skills (I don't really want to upgrade the tools I have since I will be living in a dorm for the rest of the year) and I am ready to start drilling and routing once my jig and bit arrive.

I got the crossovers built on some stiff cardboard which I think I will staple to the inside once the cabinets are built, and I have decided to hold off on ordering the amp parts until the speakers are built (I have a cheap amp I can test them with). Hopefully the project will come together over the next week if I have the time.

The other thing I was thinking about was the finish; I am pretty sure that I am going to veneer the box with something light, but for the face would it need to be painted (probably satin black, piano gloss looks nice, but I don't have the time) or could I use some Tung oil on the MDF? I have used Tung oil before (I put it on the inside of my drum sets) I think that it is a very easy and nice looking solution, but I don't know if it works well on MDF.

Tung oil doesn't look good on MDF and because MDF is more porous than wood, it'll look like crap. Get some satin paint and primer, couple coats of each should do it...this is your first pair of speakers, it can't be perfect
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #62 of 89
I was also contemplating the "proper" way to attach the xo's to the box. Not sure what I'm going to use, but I'll find out soon enough.

MDF only looks decent if you painted or veneered. Anything else just looks quite ugly IMHO...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is your first pair of speakers, it can't be perfect
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh I beg to differ. With enough time and patience a first pair of speakers CAN be perfect
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #63 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was also contemplating the "proper" way to attach the xo's to the box. Not sure what I'm going to use, but I'll find out soon enough.

MDF only looks decent if you painted or veneered. Anything else just looks quite ugly IMHO...

Oh I beg to differ. With enough time and patience a first pair of speakers CAN be perfect
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL...I tried to make my pair perfect...but I had a small snafu....things don't go the way you plan.

Aug 4, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #66 of 89
My speakon's came in today from mouser, quite fast shipping from them! I went with the round panel jack for the speakers; it'll make the countersinking much easier with the router. The crossover I'll be using a thin 1/8" or 1/4" plywood and mounting the XO parts to that, then screwing that into the bottom of the speaker box.

Now all that's left is to make a template for countersinking the woofer (I picked up the cast frame version of the woofer, so bolting it directly to the baffle won't look too good).

How's progress on your end Predator?

Aug 5, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #67 of 89
Quote:

How's progress on your end Predator?

Once my jig and 35mm bit get here I can route and assemble everything. Tomorrow I will hook up the crossovers and drivers and check to see everything is built correctly (doesn't seem like much could go wrong, but I do tend to surprise myself). Then I can start ordering the amplifier parts.

All in all it has been a nice project so far. I am already planning to do a pair of Cyburg Needles once this is finished (then hopefully something 3-way with a sub).

Aug 5, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #69 of 89
Quote:

Any pictures of what your completed crossover looks like? How do you plan on mounting it?

If I can find my digital camera I'll take a couple pics. I made them on cardboard so I intend to staple them to the inside with carpet padding between it and the back wall of the enclosure.

Aug 10, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #70 of 89
I have started piecing together the BOM for the amp, but I don't really know what I need for the power plug/jack. What kind of jack has 3-prong plugs that are widely available, and what would the particular part be called?

[EDIT]: Also, what is the easiest to use 2 amp slow blow fuse/holder to use?

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #71 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have started piecing together the BOM for the amp, but I don't really know what I need for the power plug/jack. What kind of jack has 3-prong plugs that are widely available, and what would the particular part be called?

[EDIT]: Also, what is the easiest to use 2 amp slow blow fuse/holder to use?

Would you be looking for a IEC power plug/socket? There are sockets with built in fuse holder and switch.

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #74 of 89
Quote:

That screw mount version is the exact model I've used before, works great!

Started the veneering of my box:
3810721858_ccd8097ba6.jpg

Hope yours is coming along too
biggrin.gif

Looks great! What are you going to finish the veneer with?

Aug 11, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #75 of 89
Deft Satin Clear Lacquer spray, I don't have too much time to get this done so I'm keeping it simple
smily_headphones1.gif

Pred: hope you don't mind me quasi-hijacking your thread
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back