Bookshelf Speakers
Jul 25, 2009 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

ThePredator

100+ Head-Fier
I need some bookshelf speakers and I have decided to make them myself.

Would a pair of Zaph Audio ZBM4's and a 41hz AMP6 give me good quality for the cost, or is there a better set of DIY speakers and/or amp for the same price?

Also, are the ZBM4's a good project for someone who has done little with wood (and nothing with mdf, but I do have the necessary tools available)?

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need some bookshelf speakers and I have decided to make them myself.

Would a pair of Zaph Audio ZBM4's and a 41hz AMP6 give me good quality for the cost, or is there a better set of DIY speakers and/or amp for the same price?

Also, are the ZBM4's a good project for someone who has done little with wood (and nothing with mdf, but I do have the necessary tools available)?

Yes, great project...highly configurable too. I've built a set and am very satisfied with them....they may not go down insanely low, but from 4" drivers, don't expect the performance of an 8" woofer. Relatively easy to drive as well...since you're DIYing the speakers, might as well try and build a Gainclone/Chipamp from Peter's kit.

My buildup: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/beg...s-done-307481/

icon10.gif

Very satisfying to see the end product...I recommend also getting some spikes for feet.

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 89
I'm not familiar with those speakers, however, I want to encourage you to DIY a pair as well as build your own amp.

Working with MDF is easy compared to wood. It's easy on your tools, is expensive and it's forgiving. Because MDF is very stable, it's perfect for speakers. You have to be a little careful with the finish. MDF absorbs paint, so you'll want to use primer to seal it before painting. Cut edges especially absorb a lot of paint. You might also want to skim the MDF with Bondo to make sure the panels are flat and to fill in any voids.

Anyhow, good luck with your project and be sure to post pics when you're done.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not familiar with those speakers, however, I want to encourage you to DIY a pair as well as build your own amp.

Working with MDF is easy compared to wood. It's easy on your tools, is expensive and it's forgiving. Because MDF is very stable, it's perfect for speakers. You have to be a little careful with the finish. MDF absorbs paint, so you'll want to use primer to seal it before painting. Cut edges especially absorb a lot of paint. You might also want to skim the MDF with Bondo to make sure the panels are flat and to fill in any voids.

smily_headphones1.gif

Is it necessary to use a half-face respirator when working with mdf, or will just a mask work (I have a respirator, but it isn't exactly comfortable)?

Here's a link to the speakers: Zaph|Audio - 4" Bargain Mini

[EDIT]: Also, does anyone know if there is a significant difference between the AMP3/AMP32 and the AMP6? It seems like the AMP3 would work just fine with the smaller speakers, and I don't particularly mind the SMD components.

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

I wouldn't say so...we use a fair bit of MDF and the massive glue content of MDF dulls blades much, much faster than, lets say, cutting maple or oak.

BTW, get the cast version of the MCM woofers if possible...the stamped steel frames are weak.

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #8 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't say so...we use a fair bit of MDF and the massive glue content of MDF dulls blades much, much faster than, lets say, cutting maple or oak.

BTW, get the cast version of the MCM woofers if possible...the stamped steel frames are weak.

What wood would you suggest, and can I get it from Lowe's/Home Depot (if not I have a friend who is a carpenter who may be able to get it cheaply)?

[EDIT]: After looking through your build thread it definitely seems doable, though I doubt I will be able to get edges mitered and joined as cleanly as yours. Also, what is the easiest way to do the 36mm hole?

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #9 of 89
IT shouldn't deter you from the project much, just that building the pair and the blade may need replacing, that's all. Blades are cheap (especially if you get good quality stuff the first time and can get them resharpened instead of replaced) and will last longer if you get ones with good quality carbide.

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #10 of 89
One more thing, I changed the plans abit because I used mitres...John (Zaph) just does butted up joints, that's fine too because chances are that you're veneering or painting the speakers, this the joinery isn't important.

Jul 26, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #11 of 89
T amp's are nice, I have one myself, but the model amp you're talking about, the amp6, will limit your speaker choice severely because it's output is limited. Most 41hz kits really aren't beginner kits.

It looks like those speakers you're looking at making are under 80db efficient, definitely not a good match for the amp6.

Honestly, a Gainclone would be easier and more versatile.

Jul 26, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #12 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeToad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
T amp's are nice, I have one myself, but the model amp you're talking about, the amp6, will limit your speaker choice severely because it's output is limited. Most 41hz kits really aren't beginner kits.

It looks like those speakers you're looking at making are under 80db efficient, definitely not a good match for the amp6.

And the fact that it's easily modifiable...with vast community support.

Peter Daniel's Kit: DIY Chip Amplifier Kits, PCB's, Components and Information.

Chipamp: DIY Chip Amplifier Kits, PCB's, Components and Information.

Jul 26, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #13 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeToad /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would using Audio Sector boards be the best way to go about it, or is airwiring it cheaper/easier?

DIY Chip Amplifier Kits, PCB's, Components and Information.

[EDIT]: What are some good/reliable transformers that work well with the gainclone and preferably don't cost as much as the rest of the parts together? And for volume control can I just run the input through a 100k pot?

Jul 26, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #14 of 89
If you're a newb then stack the odds of success in your favor by using a kit with PCB's and part lists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back