bookshelf speakers vs studio monitors?
Jan 24, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #61 of 286
I tip my hat in respect to both GearMe and Cel for not taking my post as an attack, I hate these "recommend me" posts as all we can honestly do is offer a starting point for research which is about 10% of the buying process. The other 90% is all about personal situation, use and preference.  Its very difficult to make objective and recommendations when most of us are passionate about the gear we have bought and owned, this often clouds how we offer advice.  To offer anyone a buying suggestion is usually just asking for someone to confirm our own thoughts to kill the insecurities of "upgraditus" or "gear-envy" making us not go shopping for the next level of audio bliss.  

And in terms of fanboys, we would be mad not to be fans of things we have spent thousands of dolars on.  I think we are all equally guilty of loving our gear.

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #62 of 286
In reality, I might even buy the argument that, at the lower to middle end of the spectrum, you could have better luck finding higher quality in individual components by choosing high-value performers from each equipment category with a little research, listening, and patience to get a good deal.  

And that's a good point. I think sometimes people evaluating passive vs. active setups are looking at MSRP. The truth is that I would not recommend that anyone buy most brick and mortar store company brand speakers (and often receivers) at anywhere near MSRP for any use. For example, the Polk TSi200 are listed at Crutchfield for MSRP $319.99, their price $249. However, those are the same as the Polk Monitor series that Newegg sells, which have historically frequently been on sale well under $200. That makes them a good value at Newegg's price, but nothing special at Crutchfield's. Similarly, the HK 3390 amp I have is an excellent price/performance value at around $250 or less, but not at it's MSRP of $399 :eek: On the other hand, there are Internet direct brands like Emotiva, Ascend Acoustics, EmpTek, etc. that sell their equipment at a good price/performance value. If someone is going to spend full MSRP on passive speaker equipment from Best Buy, then the best active speakers for the same money probably are going to sound better.

So, like you say, one has to research to discover how to put together that good system.

I tip my hat in respect to both GearMe and Cel for not taking my post as an attack, I hate these "recommend me" posts as all we can honestly do is offer a starting point for research which is about 10% of the buying process. The other 90% is all about personal situation, use and preference.  Its very difficult to make objective and recommendations when most of us are passionate about the gear we have bought and owned, this often clouds how we offer advice.  To offer anyone a buying suggestion is usually just asking for someone to confirm our own thoughts to kill the insecurities of "upgraditus" or "gear-envy" making us not go shopping for the next level of audio bliss.  

And in terms of fanboys, we would be mad not to be fans of things we have spent thousands of dolars on.  I think we are all equally guilty of loving our gear.

You and I disagree sometimes, but I respect your opinion. :) I'll admit I mostly reacted because you strongly supported DR, who does have a pretty clear agenda represented in his postings, and will often say whatever he can think of (even if not tenable or accurate) to support that agenda. For example, this week, he told someone who was thinking of switching their B&W DM602s to an active setup that the cones likely needed replacing on the 602s because they were about 15 years old. A ridiculous suggestion since the DM602s cones are made out of Kevlar (lol). So I beg you. Try not to enable him.

I don't actually mind these "recommend me" threads. I'm glad to see people asking these questions because it does, as GearMe says, require research to get a good value for your money. And it's perfectly good when people say they like this or that which they own, or they prefer how it sounds to some other model, and recommend it. The problem is when people categorically say that X is always better than Y, when they know that many people with lots of experience feel differently. That doesn't help an OP because they could be part of the crowd would like the other choice.

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #63 of 286
  Not true.

Passive speakers can be bi-amped also. Passive speakers can have just as good of a crossover. Headroom is based on making sure the AMPS have enough power available. Passive speakers are typically used in a lot of mastering suites, where they need to most "revealing and accurate" speakers.

Passive speakers currently top off at 24db/octave crossovers. Now most people buy "entry-level" powered monitors, many of them which use a passive crossover anyway, or a very rudimentary active crossover that's makes even a Behringer DCX2496 seem "high end", but at the very top of the food chain, the active crossover processors that cost in the four or five digits range, you can get stuff with 10,000db/octave slopes which a passive crossover just can't match.

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #64 of 286

Passive speakers currently top off at 24db/octave crossovers. Now most people buy "entry-level" powered monitors, many of them which use a passive crossover anyway, or a very rudimentary active crossover that's makes even a Behringer DCX2496 seem "high end", but at the very top of the food chain, the active crossover processors that cost in the four or five digits range, you can get stuff with 10,000db/octave slopes which a passive crossover just can't match.

Passive speakers can use active crossovers. So they can have the same quality.

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #65 of 286
went to guitar center and tested some speakers out. tested the jbl lsr305. they sounded very good, good bass response. the guy there kept trying to push mackie on me, saying he loved their monitors and hes a huge mackie guy lol. i tested out the mackie mr9mk3s they sounded nice but they are freaking huge. i should have tested out the 8 inch version of the jbls but it slipped my mind. i was too busy getting a lesson on mackie speakers haha. thoughts on mackie products? it was hard to find any metal to listen to. but i like the sound of both. gonna have to go back when i have the cash and make a huge decision.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #66 of 286
  Passive speakers can use active crossovers. So they can have the same quality.

There's almost no way to directly compare the prices of passive speakers with active crossovers and active speakers, because on the only passive speakers on the market with active crossovers are in the 10k+ range anyway, and this doesn't include the cost of cables of amplification.

The problem is passive speakers with an active crossover is such a niche market with small economies of scale that they end up being much more expensive than an active speaker with active crossovers. So for the same price, it's unlikely, just like pre/pros and power amplifiers are so expensive compared to receivers even if the parts are of the same quality.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #67 of 286
went to guitar center and tested some speakers out. tested the jbl lsr305. they sounded very good, good bass response. the guy there kept trying to push mackie on me, saying he loved their monitors and hes a huge mackie guy lol. i tested out the mackie mr9mk3s they sounded nice but they are freaking huge. i should have tested out the 8 inch version of the jbls but it slipped my mind. i was too busy getting a lesson on mackie speakers haha. thoughts on mackie products? it was hard to find any metal to listen to. but i like the sound of both. gonna have to go back when i have the cash and make a huge decision.

I don't personally care for the Mackies at their price point over some other powered speakers, but a lot of people do. It's a good brand. If you like them better, get them.

However, when you have access to actually listen to speakers yourself, you should let your own ears decide and ignore what anyone else says about which sounds better. But definitely take some of your own music for comparison :)

Since you commented on the speaker size, be sure to measure your space before buying. It's not uncommon for people to get the speakers home and find that they are too big.

When considering how much space you need, if the speakers are rear ported like the LSR305s, you should not jam them up against the wall when placing them. The port will need at least a few inches to breathe. That's one advantage of the KRK Rokits. The port is in the front on their speakers, so less of a problem being placed up close to the wall.

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #68 of 286
right now i have everything on a kitchen table lol. i need to either buy a new desk or drill a hole in this for the cables and cords. not sure yet. but size shouldnt be an issue. probably gonna go with either jbl lsr305 or mackie mr5mk3. and then get some budget dac, i can throw my current soundcard on ebay easily no bigger. its only a xonar dgx nothing serious.

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #70 of 286

There's almost no way to directly compare the prices of passive speakers with active crossovers and active speakers, because on the only passive speakers on the market with active crossovers are in the 10k+ range anyway, and this doesn't include the cost of cables of amplification.

The problem is passive speakers with an active crossover is such a niche market with small economies of scale that they end up being much more expensive than an active speaker with active crossovers. So for the same price, it's unlikely, just like pre/pros and power amplifiers are so expensive compared to receivers even if the parts are of the same quality.

I'm not comparing prices. I'm just correcting bad information. Passive is not better then active nor is active better then passive. 
deadhorse.gif

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #72 of 286
  I'm not comparing prices. I'm just correcting bad information. Passive is not better then active nor is active better then passive. 
deadhorse.gif

But you are comparing consumer products. How you compare them is by pricing. Yeah you can make a steam engine as good as a gas powered one, too, the only difference is cost. The only thing worse than bad information is making a correction by presenting bad information.

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #73 of 286
  Mackie is hit or mis with me. Still, at the price you're looking at I would go with the Equator Audio D5. I will out perform either monitor your looking at.

id feel more comfortable getting something i can test with my own music, i have no wya of testing those at all. hmm. how is the bass with those? the bass was pretty strong with the jbls.

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #74 of 286
i am pretty much in the same pickle as the OP    i was going to get a pair of behringer (yes i know but they review quite highly )  3030a's (because i found em for 180 each and couldn't afford f5's)  but they got back ordered and my order got canceled.  and now they went up in price.  so im back to square one.  here are some im looking at  perhaps this will give OP some options also?  

http://www.axemusic.com/store/product/32405/Mackie-MR5-mk3-Active-Studio-Reference-Monitor-with-5.25-Inch-Woofer/

http://www.axemusic.com/store/product/31451/Presonus-E5-Eris-2-Way-Studio-Monitor-5.25%22-Kevlar-Woofer-and-1%22-Silk-Dome-Tweeter-70W-Bi-Amp-Power-Sold-Individually/

small and expensive  but  genelec is suposed to be some of the best monitors out there. in league with focal.  they bandwith is pretty narrow though.
http://www.axemusic.com/store/product/20229/Genelec-6010A-Bi-Amplified-Loudspeaker-System-2-way-Active-Nearfield-Studio-Monitor-Black-Sold-as-Single/

these look nice.
http://www.axemusic.com/store/product/20291/JBL-LSR2325P-Two-Way-Bi-Amplified-Powered-Studio-Monitor-Set-with-5-inch-Woofer-Sold-as-Pair/

thoughts?

edit  i found a source for comparison tracks. 
http://www.sonicsense.com/blog/category/studio-monitors/

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #75 of 286
Yamaha make some nice monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back