bookshelf speakers vs studio monitors?
Jan 6, 2014 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 286

romeozdistress

Head-Fier
Which do you guys prefer and why? I am looking to upgrade my setup from av40s. and I was wondering what the pro and cons of bookshelf and studio monitors are? I am open to either. Just trying to figure out what would be better for around $400. thanks in advance.

Jan 6, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 286
Check out the Monoprice 5" studio monitors ($150) and the Emotiva Airmotiv 4 ($300).
For passive (unpowered) speakers, check out the Pioneer SP-B22-LR and SP-BS21LR

I'm currently using the Monoprice 5" studio monitors myself, they seem to be rebranded M-Audio BX5s

Jan 6, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 286
It really depends on what you are wanting to spend. Studio monitors can be a good deal at the lowest end, in the middle, bookshelf speakers become fairly competitive, at the higher end ($2500), studio monitors generally take it.

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 286
In that price range, I would probably skip the receiver + bookshelf and go for Studio Monitors. The Equator D5 would probably be the first place I looked.

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #6 of 286
Audioengine A5+ also fall into that range, they are aimed a bit more at hifi, but have a decent sound.

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #7 of 286
It kinda depends on what you're using them for.  Both 'studio monitors' and bookshelf speakers can have different sound, so it's not as if one is only meant to be used in the studio or for mixing music while the other is only used for musical enjoyment.  If you were using them as TV speakers then I'd get passive bookshelves with a receiver and remote.  Having the convenience of a remote and other features of a receiver far outweigh any possible small jumps in sound quality.  If they were to be used right next to your computer then active speakers might be more of a preference for cost reasons.

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #8 of 286
I've heard both the audioengine A5+ and the emotiva airmotiv 4. Not exactly a fair comparison since the A5+ was using the titanium HD while the ASM4 was using an audio-gd nfb-10es2. The ASM4 is more audiophile sounding and neutral whereas the A5+ is more colored. I much prefer the ASM4.

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #10 of 286
  I was looking into a setup around $400. I wouldn't be opposed to getting a receiver and some floor standing speakers and just play my music there.

Is this for use with a windows PC?
Does the computer have an add-on sound card?
Is this for music only?

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #13 of 286
  This is a windows pc, i have a Asus Xonar DGX sound card, will be getting a Sound Blaster Z sometime in the not too distant future. and I mostly use it for music. i hook my PC up to my tv for movies and use the tvs audio for that.

Save your cash.
Get the Sound blaster Z with the Monoprice 5" studio monitors, total for everything should be no more the $250.
Using studio monitors takes up less space then a receiver/speaker setup.

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #14 of 286
one thing i came across was a emotiva mini-X a-100.. have been considering that and some bookshelves or some behringer truth 2031a studio monitors. which setup would give me a higher quality sound? I have extended my budget to around $500 when i get my tax return. i just want some equipment ill use for awhile. having a tough time with these, any suggestions are welcomed. thanks.

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #15 of 286
Bookshelf speakers are generally more aesthetically pleasing. The drivers are also often of a higher quality in a given price range because you don't need an amp section, or active crossovers, which can be quite pricy. For example the Dynaudio passive speaker line by Dynaudio's own admission have much higher quality drivers than their active line, but their active line gets better performance out of their parts due to the superior qualities of active crossovers and DSP. For example even their Dynaudio AIR series of active speakers ($5000 price range) they use the drivers that are from the lower levels of their passive line, the DM and Focal series, whereas their Contour and Confidence series, which are closer in price to their flagship Actives, have superior drivers, but use less effective passive crossovers.

The best of both worlds would be passive speakers in the hands of a good DIYer who knows how to design crossover slopes, and a high end active crossover unit like DEQX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back