Bogdan Audio Silver Spirit Ref IC compared Acoustic Zen Silver Ref II
Jul 31, 2003 at 12:20 PM Post #46 of 71
Bumpies
While waiting for other Peeps to report in, I have further expanded my Bogdan cable collection.

I have finished selling off my HG Silver Lace ICs and ordered Bogdan ICS to replace them, these are used in system 2.

Also you knew it was going to have happen........I ordered some Bogdan SC speaker cables to try.
cool.gif

Aug 3, 2003 at 11:04 AM Post #47 of 71
...I need some help.

My source has RCA inputs that are quite close together, and I'm almost positive that the bullet plugs will not fit.
frown.gif

But...

My source has two different sets of inputs, and both are active all of the time (I don't have to flip a switch or anything to turn one on). So, is there any reason why I can't hook up one interconnect to the RIGHT output of set one and the other interconnect to the LEFT output of set two?

I'm almost positive that this will give me enough space for the plugs, but I need to make sure that this isn't a potentially bad idea.

Aug 3, 2003 at 11:51 AM Post #48 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
...I need some help.

My source has RCA inputs that are quite close together, and I'm almost positive that the bullet plugs will not fit.
frown.gif

But...

My source has two different sets of inputs, and both are active all of the time (I don't have to flip a switch or anything to turn one on). So, is there any reason why I can't hook up one interconnect to the RIGHT output of set one and the other interconnect to the LEFT output of set two?

I'm almost positive that this will give me enough space for the plugs, but I need to make sure that this isn't a potentially bad idea.

Are you sure they won't fit.........BSSR Bullets really are just average size diameter for RCA on better cables. Now when you talk big you are talking about high end CARDAS RCA connectors.
Perhaps you are mistaking "tight fit" on each RCA for no clearance, as discussed before I had to use hair dryer to get them on the 1st time.

I suppose you can use L/R RCAs from two adjacent sets of RCA inputs that are both active (no switching needed).......just have to try and see. I assume when you say "inputs" you are referring to your headphone amp. (CDP would have "outputs")

Also I am not DIY or electrician so this is just my best guess there.

Aug 3, 2003 at 12:28 PM Post #49 of 71
Oops, I meant OUTPUTS, not inputs. Sorry, I haven't had enough sleep.
redface.gif

I'm not sure that they won't fit, but it does not look likely. I'll just have to give it a try tomorrow when I get a chance.

Quote:

Perhaps you are mistaking "tight fit" on each RCA for no clearance, as discussed before I had to use hair dryer to get them on the 1st time.

No, I understand about the hair dryer thing. I'm already planning on doing that. I'm talking about the space between L/R connectors.

Aug 8, 2003 at 11:42 AM Post #50 of 71
Bumpies
Hey peeps, anyone else get thier BSSR cables? My Bogdan ICS should arrive today (replaceing HG Silverlaces in system 2) someone is buying Bogdan's because shipment times have expanded from 3 days to 5-6 days.

To do an extended follow-up 3+ weeks later there is no doubt in my mind that BSSR is superior to AZ Silver Reference for me, this is the best cable upgrade I have ever made (except for $29 Ebay glass toslink, he he) no regrets selling AZ SRs. I had no idea there were ICs out there that could offer this level of performance at such a low price. I would really like to hear if anyone is selling $500-1,000+ ICs after hearing BSSR.

AC1
Did you get that AudioMagic Digital Stealth? If you did I know why you don't have time to post here.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 8, 2003 at 2:26 PM Post #51 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Bumpies
Hey peeps, anyone else get thier BSSR cables? My Bogdan ICS should arrive today (replaceing HG Silverlaces in system 2) someone is buying Bogdan's because shipment times have expanded from 3 days to 5-6 days.

Mine showed up yesterday. The manufacture time had increased by the time I ordered, probably a lot of people getting in on the last day of the promotional price.

I had no trouble getting the bullet plugs on. Just firm straight pressure, and they popped into place.

radrd,

It depends. If the outputs are simply wired in parallel, it shouldn't matter. If they are driven independently, then it's possible that you could set things up so that the different channels were seeing different impedance loads...not good.

Aug 8, 2003 at 3:35 PM Post #52 of 71
Quote:

It depends. If the outputs are simply wired in parallel, it shouldn't matter. If they are driven independently, then it's possible that you could set things up so that the different channels were seeing different impedance loads...not good.

Is there any way to check? I still haven't had time to instal the buggers.
redface.gif

Aug 8, 2003 at 3:40 PM Post #53 of 71
Quote:

Is there any way to check? I still haven't had time to instal the buggers.
redface.gif

RadRD,

Unscrew and open the case to see if you can see some jumpers or wires connecting the two sets of RCA outs. If they come off of different outputs from some circuit board, chances are they are driven separately.

Aug 8, 2003 at 3:56 PM Post #55 of 71
Quote:

Thanks SIE.
smily_headphones1.gif

No problem. Let us know whatcha find back there.

Aug 9, 2003 at 2:58 AM Post #56 of 71
Quote:

AC1
Did you get that AudioMagic Digital Stealth? If you did I know why you don't have time to post here.
very_evil_smiley.gif

DA, yes I did get the digital stealth and it does make quite a bit of difference from just using the regular Stealth and the Cyberpower. Very nice, though with having to buy a power cord for it the cost does kind of get up there for a solution like this but at least effective.

Lots of stuff keeping me busy, but I actually don't have my DIO here though since it is at K Works being improved and he is also building a custom isolation device for it based on what he makes now (which I use on my transport), but a smaller version to fit the DIO.

Aug 9, 2003 at 3:49 PM Post #57 of 71
Bogdan ICS
Ok replaced all HG Silver Lace ICs in system 2 with Bogdan ICS which were $165 now $200 pair, and with less than 24hrs break-in the results are obvious.............the ICS "easily" surpass the Silver Lace in every catagory. I no longer have the AZ Silver Reference to do direct comparison but I suspect Bogdan ICS are at least equal and perhaps surpass the AZ SR!

Same install procedure as BSSR, hair dryer used to get silver bullet RCA on initially. Again no noise pick-up by ICS I can detect, I am thrilled with the results. Cables are very lightweight and flexible, also look cool IMO. Also cables now have small silver Bogdan label at one end so you can keep track of cable direction.

Now I have those Bogdan SCT silver speaker cables setting there waiting to get their turn, he he.

AC1
I find the Empowered AC cords work great with AM digital stealth conditioner.........match made in audio heaven.

Aug 9, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #58 of 71
Quote:

BTW, BSSR ICs have no direction markings therefore I made my own so when I move them into system 1 they will be oriented properly and not have to break in all over again.

I'm just using the top of the label on the crossbar to point to the source. Easy to remember, and I don't have to mark them up.

Aug 10, 2003 at 9:52 AM Post #59 of 71
They don't fit. I finally had a chance to try them out tonight, and they just barely don't fit. The bullet plugs alone would fit, but the shrink wrapping makes it too tight. I could probably force it, but I can't take that risk, as getting this player repaired would be a pain to say the least.

I haven't tried hooking them up to different outputs yet, as I cannot open the case of this player because A) I don't know how to and B) I don't feel comfortable doing so.

Now, I am in the process of trying to find out how the outputs are wired. I suspect that they are wired independently.
frown.gif

Aug 13, 2003 at 7:25 AM Post #60 of 71
I found out that the outputs are in fact wired in parallel, so I went for it and installed them on the separate outputs. How would I be able to tell if there was something wrong? As far as I can hear, everything sounds "right". No strange distortion or anything, but I'm not sure what to look for

As far as the Bogdans go, I'll reserve most of my comments for when they are fully broken-in. And, since I am paranoid about leaving my cdp on repeat 24/7, it will probably take about a month before I get 100+ hours on them. Right now though, compared to my PSS Quartet ICs, I am impressed with the Bogdan's more full-bodied sound (which I was looking for), but they also seem a bit muddy and imprecise in comparison. I'm not worried though, as there is no burn-in, and what sounds like tons of potential for them to get better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back