Blur Earbuds Lovers
Apr 23, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #1,396 of 1,529
1650727414987.jpeg
VIDO!

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 23, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #1,397 of 1,529
Anyone else find Blur’s a bit too aggressive? Mine is tuned warm but it’s still fatiguing and overwhelming. The bass is good but it’s just too bright for me. Anyone else finding this the case or just me?
There’s a peak which is why I sold mine

Apr 23, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #1,399 of 1,529
Anyone else find Blur’s a bit too aggressive? Mine is tuned warm but it’s still fatiguing and overwhelming. The bass is good but it’s just too bright for me. Anyone else finding this the case or just me?
hi bro, yeah, they were a bit aggressive compared to all my other gears at first, especially if you are using a bright source. IMO, it helps if you have a more analogue-ish/ warmer source. Having found the right pairing, I still reach for my blurs more than any of my other gears/buds due to its transparency and live-like signature.

May I ask what model you have? If ever you decide to get rid of them let me know, maybe I can help with that. :o2smile:
@jao29 I only have one pair, but I'd expect it all depends on model and tuning. Mine are not bright, or aggressive, but warm and soothing. Maybe too soothing, so I have to be careful with volume.

Concur with @sonicfanatic, it very much depends on the model. There are a number of models/editions/lines that I too find to be very aggressive (too forward in the upper mids and lower treble) and/or even too bright for my sensitive listening tastes.

I have owned many Blurs and now am down to the three (3) that fit me perfectly. For example, my Blur 256 PK16 White Face and Blur OFC PK150 Wraith are far from being aggressive or even bright, as well as my specially made and tuned Blur 266R MX400 Non-aPs Reference which is very friendly mid/treble wise.... but these were carefully discussed and tuned to my needs.

The issue at hand is that the Blur House Sound is naturally strongly mid-centric and mid-forward with many of the models, editions, series, and lines tuned specifically for "vocals" and "details" (e.g. Beautiful Witch) with some of these even exhibiting secondary or tertiary sound signatures that reach out towards Asian "female poison" type tuning which can be quite aggressive for some listeners and certain types of music.

When ordering earbuds from Blur one needs to clearly state the tuning that they are after as if they do not they will receive the base house tuning which is forward, aggressive, and bright. Also, be aware that some models simply can not be tamed or retuned to your liking however Blur will guide you in this regards if you communicate thoroughly and well.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #1,400 of 1,529
I do find my MX400 to be rather aggressive and fatiguing, but my Wraith PK and MX32 are tamer and can listen to them all day (and I do). I think it really depends on the model, but Wong's house tuning (mid forward) lends itself to being aggressive and in-your-face. Like Woody mentioned, this can be accounted for so long as you communicate it to Wong.

Apr 24, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #1,401 of 1,529
Concur with @sonicfanatic, it very much depends on the model. There are a number of models/editions/lines that I too find to be very aggressive (too forward in the upper mids and lower treble) and/or even too bright for my sensitive listening tastes.

I have owned many Blurs and now am down to the three (3) that fit me perfectly. For example, my Blur 256 PK16 White Face and Blur OFC PK150 Wraith are far from being aggressive or even bright, as well as my specially made and tuned Blur 266R MX400 Non-aPs Reference which is very friendly mid/treble wise.... but these were carefully discussed and tuned to my needs.

The issue at hand is that the Blur House Sound is naturally strongly mid-centric and mid-forward with many of the models, editions, series, and lines tuned specifically for "vocals" and "details" (e.g. Beautiful Witch) with some of these even exhibiting secondary or tertiary sound signatures that reach out towards Asian "female poison" type tuning which can be quite aggressive for some listeners and certain types of music.

When ordering earbuds from Blur one needs to clearly state the tuning that they are after as if they do not they will receive the base house tuning which is forward, aggressive, and bright. Also, be aware that some models simply can not be tamed or retuned to your liking however Blur will guide you in this regards if you communicate thoroughly and well.
Well I sort of did that and he said that he will tune them on the warmer side. But I still find them fatiguing and abrasive. I do like what the Blur offers but maybe it’s just not for me.

Apr 24, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #1,402 of 1,529
Well I sort of did that and he said that he will tune them on the warmer side. But I still find them fatiguing and abrasive. I do like what the Blur offers but maybe it’s just not for me.

It is all just a matter of taste and tolerance and that all sits on a spectrum. All of my Blurs are heavily mid-centric and mid-forward and that 'second mountain' tows a fine line between revealing and indulgent to shouty and invasive. For the music I listen to it works but for alot of aggressive genres I can imagine it being too much. The two darkest Blurs I have, the 266 White Face PK16 and the OFC PK150 Wraith still have prominent midforward signatures but it's offset by a lower frequency emphasis and a lower second mountain. The 266R MX400 non-aPs reference is also quite warm.

As Woody says, Blur just has a house sound that is always primary in the signature.

I hope you find something to your tastes! :)

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #1,403 of 1,529
Case in point, my first pair of first generation Beautiful Witch earbuds (2018 Blur 美魔女 Beautiful Witch MX300; 3.5SE Unbalanced), were tuned especially "dark" for me but they still proved to be rather fatiguing for all but short listening sessions. Then my pair of Beautiful Witch second generation earbuds (2021 Blur MX300 美魔女 Beautiful Witch "aPs" Edition; 2.5TRRS Balanced), which had a nice improvement in timbre (more natural sounding) were tuned even warmer and darker yet... but they too were still quite fatiguing due to their very forward and aggressive tuning which is specifically aimed at female vocals and instrumental-heavy music genres.

There are just some models that can't be tamed enough for sensitive types like yourself and I.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #1,406 of 1,529
Bought it last year and it seems that the shipment has been delayed recently because of covid.
Oh, I thought these were another BlurMod Vido but I guess not. Please re-post this over on the Earbuds Round-Up thread here; it will receive more response there. Welcome to the rabbit hole! Cheers!

Apr 24, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #1,407 of 1,529
Who else has the "Blur hALF/hALF" (2019)?
Do you wear the cables straight down, or over-the-ears?
If you wear them over-the-ears, have you noticed the insulation on the Black wire to be disintegrating where it's been in contact with your skin (going around the ears)?

I guess I'm going to have to recable them, but I don't know how much the sound might change, by not using exactly the same wire that Wong used (just hope the extra Bass he tuned in, isn't reduced).

Apr 28, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #1,409 of 1,529
All this Blur talk and I am eagerly awaiting my 2 Blur's to join the club :) My White Wraith is nearly complete, he was hoping to complete them on Tuesday this week but.....

Wong has come down with the Covid this week :frowning2: after being boosted just 4/16 he tested + yesterday. He is obviously very annoyed but in good spirits. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Apr 28, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #1,410 of 1,529
Does anyone have a suggestion
Who else has the "Blur hALF/hALF" (2019)?
Do you wear the cables straight down, or over-the-ears?
If you wear them over-the-ears, have you noticed the insulation on the Black wire to be disintegrating where it's been in contact with your skin (going around the ears)?

I guess I'm going to have to recable them, but I don't know how much the sound might change, by not using exactly the same wire that Wong used (just hope the extra Bass he tuned in, isn't reduced).

I've ordered this Silver & Copper cable (2.5mm TRRS to 0.78mm 2-Pin) [ https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003688146295.html ], to replace the cable on my Blur hALF/hALF earbuds. It's got 4-strands per side (and looks like heat-shrinked earhooks, that I'll have to remove or cut back), rather than 2-strands like the original cable - so it will be more bulky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back