Blur Earbuds Lovers
Oct 7, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #946 of 1,529
Of course @ian91 tells me and the world that the 400 does it even better. Great. I think he’s trying to put my wife back on the market…. That’s a tale for another time. :wink: Some people in this world aren’t happy until you’re broke and lonely if you know what I mean (kidding of course Ian).

I'm not trying to disturb the peace! There's no hurry when you're enjoying the MX64 STE so much! A part of me thinks you should hold out for the 266 Blur Reference Line and consider the MX400 driver. Potentially...although there will be too many good drivers to choose from in that line up when it's released...

@Scuba Devils I'm glad you're enjoying them! They're probably one of the 'brightest' tunings I have from Wong with great technicalities and macrodynamics. Let them burn-in, experiment with sources and see what you can pull out of them - they're quite capable little things.

Oct 7, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #947 of 1,529
In truth you are probably right Ian! I have really found a certain bliss in the MX64 That’s hard to beat. Impossible in my current lineup—and including every previous lineup. I will try to wait on the Reference Line. I just can’t imagine how these are going to be bettered.

Oct 8, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #948 of 1,529
In truth you are probably right Ian! I have really found a certain bliss in the MX64 That’s hard to beat. Impossible in my current lineup—and including every previous lineup. I will try to wait on the Reference Line. I just can’t imagine how these are going to be bettered.

It hits me in a sweet spot of warmth, forwardness and detail.

I should have the 189 Hybrid today, so I'll post some brief impressions later this evening.

Oct 8, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #949 of 1,529
It hits me in a sweet spot of warmth, forwardness and detail.

I should have the 189 Hybrid today, so I'll post some brief impressions later this evening.

Curious on the 189, just in touch with Wong on it last night - soft and less microphonic cable! I definitely can't use the 266 mx150 in bed due to the cable - which is fine as EM5 perfect for that but I will want a Blur for that purpose too. How are the OFC cables for comfort and microphonics?

Oct 8, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #950 of 1,529
Curious on the 189, just in touch with Wong on it last night - soft and less microphonic cable! I definitely can't use the 266 mx150 in bed due to the cable - which is fine as EM5 perfect for that but I will want a Blur for that purpose too. How are the OFC cables for comfort and microphonics?

The OFC cables are much more supple and less microphonic. There is still some microphonics but considerably less, especially from below the Y split. I love the OFC cable for listening in bed. It's very light and flexible and goes a long way towards making you forget you've got earbuds in. It does have some memory to it but I can live with that because it's so lightweight.

I'll chime in on the 189 Hybrid cable when I know more.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #951 of 1,529
Hey!where to i buy Blur earphones?website etc? It's very interesting!

Oct 8, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #952 of 1,529
I have the blur189 MX300 and the cable is quite supple and without microphonics. Wonderful listening experience. I suspect you will be very pleased.

Oct 8, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #954 of 1,529
I have the blur189 MX300 and the cable is quite supple and without microphonics. Wonderful listening experience. I suspect you will be very pleased.

Yeah I might go for that next but mx150... I think my NW-WM1A would struggle with mx300.

Oct 8, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #955 of 1,529
Facebook or Instagram
I checked his Facebook but no price provided.
May I know how much are those 189 and 266 blurs?

Thanks

Oct 8, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #956 of 1,529
I checked his Facebook but no price provided.
May I know how much are those 189 and 266 blurs?

Thanks
You should ask him but expect pricing in mid to high $200's SGD

Oct 8, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #957 of 1,529
My Blur hitting maybe 30 hours play now, left them run on my ZX300 which tends to have the burn-in role these days, excellent battery and even with FLAC and a well used 4-5 years old device, it manages a good 24 hours continuous play. Monday around 11am should see them hit 100 hours.

Anyway, I pop them in occasionally to hear how they are getting on and I'm definitely hearing less brightness, it was a touch too much at times yesterday but seems to be easing. Yet again though when I tried earlier - 3 distinct layers of 'wow' were - bass, soundstage, and ability to retrieve and present complex details... think Autechre for any of you into that style of electronic music - it can be a real challenge to listen to... Blur seems to be stepping up to the mark.

I would prefer a more premium look and feel, I have to be honest - definitely a factor for me in many purchase decisions... yep I know its not about that but I do appreciate. Will it stop me buying another? - absolutely not :)

Oct 8, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #958 of 1,529
My Blur hitting maybe 30 hours play now, left them run on my ZX300 which tends to have the burn-in role these days, excellent battery and even with FLAC and a well used 4-5 years old device, it manages a good 24 hours continuous play. Monday around 11am should see them hit 100 hours.

Anyway, I pop them in occasionally to hear how they are getting on and I'm definitely hearing less brightness, it was a touch too much at times yesterday but seems to be easing. Yet again though when I tried earlier - 3 distinct layers of 'wow' were - bass, soundstage, and ability to retrieve and present complex details... think Autechre for any of you into that style of electronic music - it can be a real challenge to listen to... Blur seems to be stepping up to the mark.

I would prefer a more premium look and feel, I have to be honest - definitely a factor for me in many purchase decisions... yep I know its not about that but I do appreciate. Will it stop me buying another? - absolutely not :)
Eager to hear your thoughts vs. the Isabellae.

Oct 8, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #959 of 1,529
Yet again though when I tried earlier - 3 distinct layers of 'wow' were - bass, soundstage, and ability to retrieve and present complex details...

3 distinct layers of wow - love this. Those are essentially the reasons it was my recommendation for ambient and electronic, really. Hit the nail on the head.

I would prefer a more premium look and feel, I have to be honest - definitely a factor for me in many purchase decisions... yep I know its not about that but I do appreciate. Will it stop me buying another? - absolutely not

The way I see it is that at the end of the day this remains a one-man band working from home and there are just limitations to what can be done. Earbuds shells have also changed very little really despite the passage of time. We're in a position of if 'it isn't broken, don't try to fix it'. Yes there are places where, realistically, things could look more aesthetically pleasing but Blur (and earbuds in general) represent the utilitarian audio device in my mind and I don't mind an appearance that reflects that. Glad it's not holding you back!

I've been listening to the Blur 189 Hybrid MX64 aPs 64ohm for the past several hours. It certainly has its own distinct place on the Blur sound signature chart. What Wong suggested is accurate - this is amazing at vocals (male and female), better than the Blur OFC MX64 STE aPs 64ohm in fact, but that's not all it does well. I hope this becomes a staple/constant feature in his lineup...

@Scuba Devils 189 much more supple and less microphonic, probably to a similar degree as OFC, not much in it.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #960 of 1,529
3 distinct layers of wow - love this. Those are essentially the reasons it was my recommendation for ambient and electronic, really. Hit the nail on the head.

The way I see it is that at the end of the day this remains a one-man band working from home and there are just limitations to what can be done. Earbuds shells have also changed very little really despite the passage of time. We're in a position of if 'it isn't broken, don't try to fix it'. Yes there are places where, realistically, things could look more aesthetically pleasing but Blur (and earbuds in general) represent the utilitarian audio device in my mind and I don't mind an appearance that reflects that. Glad it's not holding you back!

I've been listening to the Blur 189 Hybrid MX64 aPs 64ohm for the past several hours. It certainly has its own distinct place on the Blur sound signature chart. What Wong suggested is accurate - this is amazing at vocals (male and female), better than the Blur OFC MX64 STE aPs 64ohm in fact, but that's not all it does well. I hope this becomes a staple/constant feature in his lineup...

@Scuba Devils 189 much more supple and less microphonics, probably to a similar degree as OFC, not much in it.

Ah yeah totally get that Wong a one-man operation and all the more respect in that regard... its just my first experience of DIY style. Absolutely does not stop me delving deeper, trying to resist #3 - it is however the magic number 🤔 Wong also suggested:

"If you want more relax listen than I can build you the OFC mx64 with the new line same as the 189 mx64"

Which brings me full circle to your original recommendation! I think it will be my next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back