Blur Earbuds Lovers
Jul 21, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #287 of 1,529
Yet another smashing review here Ian! Well done good man! Thank you for taking the time to write these detailed reviews for us all to benefit from. You are awesome!

I am currently on my third day listening to the prototype version of the Blur OFC MX64 aPs Special Tuning Edition. Impressed thus far. Currently, comparing with my other earbuds and using various sources.

You're all welcome. I enjoy writing them! There will be more to come in the near future.

The MX64 takes some getting used to compared to other Blurs but its literally my desert island audio device (along with my DAP!).

Jul 23, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #289 of 1,529
Sharing a review of the Blur 256 PK32 written by an earbud friend of mine: Here

My own Blur PK32 266 arrived a few days ago, but have been so tied up with work I haven't had time to even unbox it :| Looking forward to some free time over the weekend (hopefully).

I enjoyed reading that review - your friend should write more!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the PK32 when you can get some quality time with it :)

Jul 24, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #290 of 1,529
I enjoyed reading that review - your friend should write more!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the PK32 when you can get some quality time with it :)

Thank you.

Will do :) I'll be sure to try & make a post of my PK32 266 here, the initial impressions of it at least. Have a good weekend everyon. Stay positive, test negative!

Or as Wong would put it, 'enjoy and play in good health'.

Jul 25, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #291 of 1,529
Just come back to my OFC MX64 Special Tuning after a long weekend of listening to a new IEM. Oh boy, although the MX64 is completely different, it's completely different in a very special way.

I'm home again!

I hope all my Blur family are safe and healthy - take care!

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #292 of 1,529
Just come back to my OFC MX64 Special Tuning after a long weekend of listening to a new IEM. Oh boy, although the MX64 is completely different, it's completely different in a very special way.

I'm home again!

I hope all my Blur family are safe and healthy - take care!
Indeed special! I am truly enjoying my prototype version of the Blur OFC MX64 aPs Special Tuning Edition 64Ω aka 'Blur OFC aPs STE' This is my sixth pair of Blurs to date and I have yet to be disappointed!

I am particularly liking the OFC cable and as @ian91 mentioned in his splendidly written review, the cable does exhibit very minor microphonics but I chalk this up more to the notoriously echoey MX shell than the cable itself. Don't think I have ever heard a MX shelled earbud that didn't display some form of microphonics due to the size and shape of the MX's long stem; it is cavernous! Now back to the Blur OFC aPs STE earbud: the OFC cable used is so supple and lightweight that the shells quickly disappear in my ears similarly to, if not better than, my Blur White Face PK shells. Again, something I believe I have never experienced before with MX shelled earbuds.

While the Blur OFC aPs STE is very detailed and well-timbred it is not overly analytical (boring) nor too exciting (sibilant). Wong had warned me that I may not like this tuning due to my preference for relaxing warm sound and my sensitivity to sibilant and overly bright treble. He said that the extreme detail and big wide open sound (soundstage) may come across 'too excited' to my sensitive ears which initially indeed it was. But after three days I surprisingly (and thankfully) adjusted and am now am easily dealing with that "sparkle" in the treble without the normal fatigue, earache, and headaches that I usually suffer. I find that it fits well with my preferred music genre (ambient electronic/epic electronic/classic electronic). It will take me sometime to fully understand and appreciate this new tuning by Wong.

Dare I say, that I actually am now preferring them over my Blur Beautiful Witch aPs 300Ω which although are reference tuned I now realize they are probably ever so slightly more mid-focused so better suited for vocal dominant types of music which I unfortunately, rarely listen to.

1627316355607.png
Blur OFC MX64 Special Tuning Edition_64Ω.jpg
Blue OFC MX64 Special Tuning Edition_FR.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #293 of 1,529
I find that it fits well with my preferred music genre (ambient electronic/epic electronic/classic electronic). It will take me sometime to fully understand and appreciate this new tuning by Wong.

Nice to hear you're enjoying them. The Beautiful Witch is indeed more vocal forward and on some tracks that's just what I need, but not all. For example they are too forward for my ears in the region that tenor sax sits which does crop up in some Jazz trio.

I love the STE so much that I have the 266 version of the MX64 STE on the way to me, so I will give a small update as to whether the cable perceptably changes the signature. I'm not sure how this sits with others here, but I have appreciated cables affecting sound signature before...I am hoping the 266 will add some body to the midbass of the STE.

If they are not perceptably different I will probably sell one or the other on :). I would miss the OFC cable though. It's so light and comfortable.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #295 of 1,529
Nice to hear you're enjoying them. The Beautiful Witch is indeed more vocal forward and on some tracks that's just what I need, but not all. For example they are too forward for my ears in the region that tenor sax sits which does crop up in some Jazz trio.

I love the STE so much that I have the 266 version of the MX64 STE on the way to me, so I will give a small update as to whether the cable perceptably changes the signature. I'm not sure how this sits with others here, but I have appreciated cables affecting sound signature before...I am hoping the 266 will add some body to the midbass of the STE.

If they are not perceptably different I will probably sell one or the other on :). I would miss the OFC cable though. It's so light and comfortable.

I am skeptical as to whether or not the sound is improved in relation to the cable. What can make a difference in the sound is the retractable tube that seal the ventilation channel.

Captura.JPG

You can read more information here

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #296 of 1,529
I am skeptical as to whether or not the sound is improved in relation to the cable. What can make a difference in the sound is the retractable tube that extends the ventilation channel.

You can read more information here

Interesting. Does that actually extend the ventilation channel? I thought if anything it would seal the wire to the neck of the shell a bit better which in theory would reduce ventilation?

Jul 27, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #297 of 1,529
Interesting. Does that actually extend the ventilation channel? I thought if anything it would seal the wire to the neck of the shell a bit better which in theory would reduce ventilation?
you're absolutely right, the shrink tubing seals the tubing channel vent

Jul 27, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #298 of 1,529
you're absolutely right, seal the tube channel vent

Thanks for letting me know. I am skeptical myself what a cable change can do, but I'll A/B as best I can. Wong is under the impression that the OFC cable significantly affects sound signature in a reliably consistent fashion.

Jul 27, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #299 of 1,529
Thanks for letting me know. I am skeptical myself what a cable change can do, but I'll A/B as best I can. Wong is under the impression that the OFC cable significantly affects sound signature in a reliably consistent fashion.

I value quality cables, but I can't justify sound improvements.

On the other hand, if I feel warmer for example an AK4490 than a CS43198.

The things of subjectivity ...

Jul 27, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #300 of 1,529
I value quality cables, but I can't justify sound improvements.

On the other hand, if I feel warmer for example an AK4490 than a CS43198.

The things of subjectivity ...

We will see! The OFC MX64 STE is close to perfect for me, so I'm only really trying to eek out the last few percent towards my tastes and given how much I enjoy it I thought it deserved experimenting just to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back