Bluesound Node 2i
Sep 4, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #121 of 435
I did the 3.10.3 update 2 nights ago and noticed that the first two seconds of a song gets skipped randomly on Qobuz most, but not all, of the time. It plays fine if I restart from the beginning. Happens regardless of whether I skip a song or if it automatically advances to the next song in the queue. I am using coax out and tried doing a factory reset. Hardwired to a gigabit connection but tried wifi just in case too (no difference). Anyone else notice this with Qobuz/Node 2i? Is this the cutout issue that was being discussed recently?

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #122 of 435
i was getting cut out on tidal but it went away

Sep 4, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #123 of 435
Thanks. I ended up going back to using the internal DAC and it plays fine. Seems to only be an issue with the digital outputs (saw similar posts on the Bluesound support forums so hopefully they can fix it). No issues since I switched back to the analog outputs.

Sep 12, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #124 of 435
Hi guys. Just bought a Node2i.

My current setup Node2i>(Toslink)>AudioGD R1>(XLR)>Amp>Speaker.

So I bypass the internal DAC of Node2i in favour of Audio GD R1 R2R DAC instead.

The R1 is not MQA certified, upon using TIDAL, I'm able to play MQA tracks. How is this possible?

Sep 12, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #125 of 435
Hi guys. Just bought a Node2i.

My current setup Node2i>(Toslink)>AudioGD R1>(XLR)>Amp>Speaker.

So I bypass the internal DAC of Node2i in favour of Audio GD R1 R2R DAC instead.

The R1 is not MQA certified, upon using TIDAL, I'm able to play MQA tracks. How is this possible?

My guess is you are not getting the full unfold. I don't have Tidal so only a guess. You should try it with the external DAC and internal DAC if you can to see which one you like better, especially if you use Tidal.

Sep 17, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #127 of 435
Absolute audio magazine gave the node 2i a very good review, put in a hi end rig with harbeth 40.2 and it held it own against somemuch higher priced dac servers

Sep 17, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #128 of 435
Thanks. I ended up going back to using the internal DAC and it plays fine. Seems to only be an issue with the digital outputs (saw similar posts on the Bluesound support forums so hopefully they can fix it). No issues since I switched back to the analog outputs.

I finally updated this past weekend. I'm not sure if I skipped the buggy update for a newer build, but everything is running smoothly. Internal DAC as well as optical into a Red Wine tube DAC. I have not and cannot try the Coax out.

Oct 15, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #129 of 435
I finally updated this past weekend. I'm not sure if I skipped the buggy update for a newer build, but everything is running smoothly. Internal DAC as well as optical into a Red Wine tube DAC. I have not and cannot try the Coax out.
I have been testing this and it only happens for me with my NAD D3045 (coax and optical) and my IFI SPDIF iPurifier2 (into my Grace m900 DAC/amp). It plays perfectly fine (no skipping) when running coax to my Denon X4300 or straight into my m900 without the iPurifier2. Audio Clock Trim setting did not help either. It seems to happen on Qobuz when there are sample rate changes or if I go from 16bit to 24bit. If staying on 16bit and same sample rate or 24bit and same sample rate, there is no issue on any of the aforementioned devices. Not really sure what is going to try to test with other DACs. I was thinking of getting another 2i at the current $450 price but may wait a few months to see if a newer model comes out instead (which hopefully does not have the same issues).

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #130 of 435
I have been testing this and it only happens for me with my NAD D3045 (coax and optical) and my IFI SPDIF iPurifier2 (into my Grace m900 DAC/amp). It plays perfectly fine (no skipping) when running coax to my Denon X4300 or straight into my m900 without the iPurifier2. Audio Clock Trim setting did not help either. It seems to happen on Qobuz when there are sample rate changes or if I go from 16bit to 24bit. If staying on 16bit and same sample rate or 24bit and same sample rate, there is no issue on any of the aforementioned devices. Not really sure what is going to try to test with other DACs. I was thinking of getting another 2i at the current $450 price but may wait a few months to see if a newer model comes out instead (which hopefully does not have the same issues).

What coax & toslink cable that you use? Been using generic ones & now looking for something better

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #131 of 435
What coax & toslink cable that you use? Been using generic ones & now looking for something better
There isn't anything better unless there is something wrong with the cables you're using. Get some el-cheapo interconnects from a pro audio shop and be done with it.

Oct 15, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #132 of 435
I have an Audioquest Carbon coax from my Node 2i to iPurifier. I usually use Blue Jeans Cable on my living room setup. The connectors on the Blue Jeans Cable (think it.is the Belden 1694A) are a bit too long to use in my desktop setup (Node 2i and my NAD D3045 were too close to the wall). Optical, I just use a 1.5 ft right angle cable I found on amazon for like 10-15 bucks.

I get a lot of interference at my desk (constant dropped calls, my D3045 sometimes starts changing volume by itself, etc.) because my desk shares a wall with a microwave/electric panel and my upstairs neighbor's home office is right above me as well. Both work great, although I could have gotten something cheaper amd still been happy (I like the way the AQ cables look on my desktop where I can see all the cables). I do like Blue Jeans Cable though and have a bunch of their cables which are all really great quality for the price.

Oct 15, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #133 of 435
I have an Audioquest Carbon coax from my Node 2i to iPurifier. I usually use Blue Jeans Cable on my living room setup. The connectors on the Blue Jeans Cable (think it.is the Belden 1694A) are a bit too long to use in my desktop setup (Node 2i and my NAD D3045 were too close to the wall). Optical, I just use a 1.5 ft right angle cable I found on amazon for like 10-15 bucks.

I get a lot of interference at my desk (constant dropped calls, my D3045 sometimes starts changing volume by itself, etc.) because my desk shares a wall with a microwave/electric panel and my upstairs neighbor's home office is right above me as well. Both work great, although I could have gotten something cheaper amd still been happy (I like the way the AQ cables look on my desktop where I can see all the cables). I do like Blue Jeans Cable though and have a bunch of their cables which are all really great quality for the price.

Thanks for your input TK33. Appreciate it. I hope you find the solution on the interference issues.

Oct 15, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #134 of 435
I've been thinking about upgrading my tidal interface to my system. I was actually already looking at the Bluesound Node 2i, so this is a timely thread.

Right now, I run the Tidal app on my iPad > Modi Multibit > Bottlehead Crack > HD600/650. I was thinking about upgrading my DAC to a Bimby, but based on what I am reading, I may be able to just purchase a Node 2i, use its internal DAC and then input it into the BHC.

What will produce a better sound? What I have now? Or, a system with the Node 2i that bypasses the external DAC? If it sounds better, then that would be a welcome upgrade.

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #135 of 435
You can run a node 2i into a headamp, yes.

If you're paying for Tidal you may as well use an MQA DAC. The node 2i has one, schiity DACs do not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back