Blue Announces Ella, Sadie and Satellite Headphones @ CES 2017
Mar 14, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #181 of 327
  No, this is probably something you do yourself, plus this is an apple forum, itunes EQ sucks and has tons of distortion. Instead of adding confusion, just know that flat means no change at all.
Like I said, you would have to listen to the ella first before making a judgement on EQ, very few headphones have met my wants perfectly so I usually EQ, but your preferences are different from mine so I cannot say whether or not the sound signature of the ella is good for you even if I heard it

Ok, so iTunes EQ sux. Got it. lol 

The thing is, it would have to sound PRETTY bad for me to say it needs EQ'ing, but you would prob know within a few minutes regardless I'm sure. I'm at best a novice when it comes to EQ'ing. I have some BASIC knowledge, but in terms of "perfecting" a sound, which to me means making it sound as natural as possible (though sometimes a lil extra bass never hurt no one lol), I wouldn't always know. It just shouldn't sound "constricted" is all, or TOO trebly. That tends to be what you get with the "Rock" setting, which I only use in the car but never on headphones (with exception to 3 songs with "Rock" minus some bass lol).

My concern is based on the AKG K551 I have................. on Flat or Off, the songs sometimes tend to sound kinda weak, and that's bad too I guess. lol I was hoping there's some way to tell if that might be the case with the Ella on Off, but apparently not. lol 

Thanks. 

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #182 of 327

Ok, so iTunes EQ sux. Got it. lol 

The thing is, it would have to sound PRETTY bad for me to say it needs EQ'ing, but you would prob know within a few minutes regardless. I'm at best a novice when it comes to EQ'ing. I have some BASIC knowledge, but in terms of "perfecting" a sound, which to me means making it sound as natural as possible (though sometimes a lil extra bass never hurt no one lol), I wouldn't always know. It just shouldn't sound "constricted" is all, or TOO trebly. That tends to be what you get with the "Rock" setting, which I only use in the car but never on headphones (with exception to 3 song with "Rock" minus some bass lol).

My concern is based on the AKG K551 I have, on Flat or Off, the songs sometimes tend to sound kinda weak, and that's bad too I guess. lol I was hoping there's some way to tell if that might be the case with the Ella on Off, but apparently not. lol 

Thanks. 

the k551 is a unique headphone because it sounds pretty thin, I don't use them because the bass never sounds "just right" for me, but the EQ I made was the best compromise I could do, at least for poweramp. Blue headphones definitely do not have an issue with bass so I know you won't be needing an bass boost there, but I don't know how the treble sounds so you may want to cut or boost it depending on how the treble is. Generally if you want bass guitar, drums, kick drum to stand out more you would EQ the lower bass around 20-80hz. If you want deep male vocals to stand out more, you boost 1.5-2khz, normal male vocals are around 2khz, higher pitch male and female are 2-3khz, electric guitar can be 2-4khz. Piano can be 1-3khz. Generally I don't EQ anything else unless there is a huge dip or spike I want to get rid of

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #183 of 327
  the k551 is a unique headphone because it sounds pretty thin, I don't use them because the bass never sounds "just right" for me, but the EQ I made was the best compromise I could do, at least for poweramp. Blue headphones definitely do not have an issue with bass so I know you won't be needing an bass boost there, but I don't know how the treble sounds so you may want to cut or boost it depending on how the treble is. Generally if you want bass guitar, drums, kick drum to stand out more you would EQ the lower bass around 20-80hz. If you want deep male vocals to stand out more, you boost 1.5-2khz, normal male vocals are around 2khz, higher pitch male and female are 2-3khz, electric guitar can be 2-4khz. Piano can be 1-3khz. Generally I don't EQ anything else unless there is a huge dip or spike I want to get rid of

OK. Yeah Blue headphones (from having heard the Lola) def have more pronounced bass, though the Lola had the TIGHTEST control over the bass I'd ever heard, period. Even with the bass more pronounced, it never once appeared to cross over into the mids' or highs' territory (ftw lol). 

Yeah I have studied up on that stuff, even with regards to vocals, but the added layer of tuning it to headphones sounds beyond my realm I think. lol 

Judging that the Lolas sounded amazing, and Sadie & Ella both were "improved sonically to sound more balanced and have more clarity", it's very likely I think that they both really wouldn't need to be EQ'd at all perhaps. I guess if I hear sibilance I can always cut back on the appropriate treble EQ bands, which I guess is 3-10kHz (includes ALL sibilance, not just vocal)???

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #184 of 327

OK. Yeah Blue headphones (from having heard the Lola) def have more pronounced bass, though the Lola had the TIGHTEST control over the bass I'd ever heard, period. Even with the bass more pronounced, it never once appeared to cross over into the mids' or highs' territory (ftw lol). 

Yeah I have studied up on that stuff, even with regards to vocals, but the added layer of tuning it to headphones sounds beyond my realm I think. lol 

Judging that the Lolas sounded amazing, and Sadie & Ella both were "improved sonically to sound more balanced and have more clarity", it's very likely I think that they both really wouldn't need to be EQ'd at all perhaps. I guess if I hear sibilance I can always cut back on the appropriate treble EQ bands, which I guess is 3-10kHz (includes ALL sibilance, not just vocal)???

I would disagree with 3khz being an area of sibilance, I typically boost 3khz a lot for electric guitar and female vocal presence, sibilance is a term for vocals, I think you mean harsh treble in general, it's more like 4khz and beyond. But even 4khz can be a stretch sometimes 

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #185 of 327
  I would disagree with 3khz being an area of sibilance, I typically boost 3khz a lot for electric guitar and female vocal presence, sibilance is a term for vocals, I think you mean harsh treble in general, it's more like 4khz and beyond. But even 4khz can be a stretch sometimes 

Yeah I thought sibilance included "harsh" sounds created by instruments too, but ok it doesn't. lol

So 4-7kHz is for non-vocal harsh noises mostly, and 7-10 is for vocal sibilance for the most part? 

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #186 of 327

Yeah I thought sibilance included "harsh" sounds created by instruments too, but ok it doesn't. lol

So 4-7kHz is for non-vocal harsh noises mostly, and 7-10 is for vocal sibilance for the most part? 

No, 4-7khz is not reserved for just instruments. Vocals generally reside in 1-3khz so I DUNU where you got 7khz from, just watch out for 4-10khz areas and experiment by sliding down each frequency only one at a time and seeing if it helps

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #187 of 327
  No, 4-7khz is not reserved for just instruments. Vocals generally reside in 1-3khz so I DUNU where you got 7khz from, just watch out for 4-10khz areas and experiment by sliding down each frequency only one at a time and seeing if it helps

I got it from the link I sent earlier. lol 

EQ Instrument breakdown

Vocals

presence (5 kHz), sibilance (7.5 ‐ 10 kHz), boom (200 ‐ 240 kHz), fullness (120 Hz)

Ahh ok. I DUNU if I'll even get it or not. You need to open up your own business for doing this. You'd prob put all your competition OUT of business. lol 
L3000.gif

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #188 of 327

I got it from the link I sent earlier. lol 

EQ Instrument breakdown

Vocals

presence (5 kHz), sibilance (7.5 ‐ 10 kHz), boom (200 ‐ 240 kHz), fullness (120 Hz)

Ahh ok. I DUNU if I'll even get it or not. You need to open up your own business for doing this. You'd prob put all your competition out of business. lol 
L3000.gif

Ignore that, 5khz for vocal presence is complete bullschiit..... man I told u this stuff like several months ago. Try sliding up the 5khz toggle and try listening to some vocal tracks and see what happens....... then try boosting 2khz instead and see what happens. 
and nah, this stuff is pretty simple but there are tons of more complex audio stuff I don't get like amp design or how internal audio processing and maths works

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #189 of 327
  Ignore that, 5khz for vocal presence is complete bullschiit..... man I told u this stuff like several months ago. Try sliding up the 5khz toggle and try listening to some vocal tracks and see what happens....... then try boosting 2khz instead and see what happens. 
and nah, this stuff is pretty simple but there are tons of more complex audio stuff I don't get like amp design or how internal audio processing and maths works

Ok. I'll delete them both from my Bookmarks. lol 

Man, you must be HIGH off your kite if you think I'm gonna remember what you said several months ago about EQ'ing! lol I already did bookmark THIS page, but that doesn't mean I fully understand it and/or would be able to execute it correctly. lol 

Simple for you maybe. lol For me......... I think I've gotten pretty good at EQ'ing bass, but mids and treble is far more difficult IMO. But if I actually get the Ella, I'll refer to this now bookmarked page and apply what you said..............HOPEFULLY, if there IS a God........ I won't have to. lol 

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #190 of 327

Ok. I'll delete them both from my Bookmarks. lol 

Man, you must be HIGH off your kite if you think I'm gonna remember what you said several months ago about EQ'ing! lol I already did bookmark THIS page, but that doesn't mean I fully understand it and/or would be able to execute it correctly. lol 

Simple for you maybe. lol For me......... I think I've gotten pretty good at EQ'ing bass, but mids and treble is far more difficult IMO. But if I actually get the Ella, I'll refer to this now bookmarked page and apply what you said..............HOPEFULLY, if there IS a God........ I won't have to. lol 

The best way to learn how to EQ is trial and error, just keep experimenting with every frequency and see how everything gets affected by altering certain toggles. That's basically how I learned it and after getting the same results every time it got a lot easier. You just got to know what you are looking for and as long as you know what you want to change then it's ez. To be fair, every vocal and instrument extends far more than just 1-3khz for example, they extend down to the mid bass and go as high as mid treble, but the main presence area is what I'm speaking of and if you want vocals to be closer in a v shaped headphone, then boosting 5khz will just make them brighter (and "clearer") instead of getting vocals closer

but your link did have one really good piece of info you missed:
Sibilance

refers to the hissing "­s","s­h","z­", or "­zh", sound of the human voice

LOL

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #191 of 327
  The best way to learn how to EQ is trial and error, just keep experimenting with every frequency and see how everything gets affected by altering certain toggles. That's basically how I learned it and after getting the same results every time it got a lot easier. You just got to know what you are looking for and as long as you know what you want to change then it's ez. To be fair, every vocal and instrument extends far more than just 1-3khz for example, they extend down to the mid bass and go as high as mid treble, but the main presence area is what I'm speaking of and if you want vocals to be closer in a v shaped headphone, then boosting 5khz will just make them brighter (and "clearer") instead of getting vocals closer

but your link did have one really good piece of info you missed:
Sibilance

refers to the hissing "­s","s­h","z­", or "­zh", sound of the human voice

LOL

Yeah, but I don't know if I have the PATIENCE you do to go through a lot of trial & error in order to reach perfection. lol 

Haha yeah I remember that now. But I thought it ALSO included harsh sounds from instruments too, but now that I think about it, that doesn't make sense cuz only PEOPLE make those sounds, not instruments. lol 

If you buy the Sadie or Ella (or anything really) through Sam Ash's website, they have a $20 off thing for registering if you spend over $100, which obviously for EITHER headphone you more than would. Hey, $20 is $20. lol 

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #192 of 327

Yeah, but I don't know if I have the PATIENCE you do to go through a lot of trial & error in order to reach perfection. lol 

Haha yeah I remember that now. But I thought it ALSO included harsh sounds from instruments too, but now that I think about it, that doesn't make sense cuz only PEOPLE make those sounds, not instruments. lol 

If you buy the Sadie or Ella (or anything really) through Sam Ash's website, they have a $20 off thing for registering if you spend over $100, which obviously for EITHER headphone you more than would. Hey, $20 is $20. lol 

Very rarely would I ever buy a new headphone, $20 is barely any savings for me. Might consider buying ella when I can find a used pair for $200-300 in 2 years lol

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #193 of 327
  Very rarely would I ever buy a new headphone, $20 is barely any savings for me. Might consider buying ella when I can find a used pair for $200-300 in 2 years lol

It's barely any for me either, but I'd still rather pay $679 for the Ella than $699! LOLLL

I dunno. With used my issue is you never know what condition what you're getting REALLY is in. They could've banged on, dropped, etc. Just because you don't see any marks or scuffs on the outside doesn't mean for sure the inside is intact. lol 

BTW, the MOST I've ever spent on headphones was $399..........for all of the following (which were all either returned or sold off lol): Oppo PM-3 (sold), B&W P7 (returned), and the Master & Dynamic MH40 (returned). So this WOULD be a first. lol All 3 of those, for all their benefits, couldn't match the WIDE massive soundstage of AKG AND Blue, and also they tended to be too bassy too I think, though my $299 Sony MDR-1As were prob still bassier, though still NOT as bassy as Beats are. lol 

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #194 of 327

It's barely any for me either, but I'd still rather pay $679 for the Ella than $699! LOLLL

I dunno. With used my issue is you never know what condition what you're getting REALLY is in. They could've banged on, dropped, etc. Just because you don't see any marks or scuffs on the outside doesn't mean for sure the inside is intact. lol 

BTW, the MOST I've ever spent on headphones was $399..........for all of the following (which were all either returned or sold off lol): Oppo PM-3 (sold), B&W P7 (returned), and the Master & Dynamic MH40 (returned). So this WOULD be a first. lol All 3 of those, for all their benefits, couldn't match the WIDE massive soundstage of AKG AND Blue, and also they tended to be too bassy too I think, though my $299 Sony MDR-1As were prob still bassier, though still NOT as bassy as Beats are. lol 

Almost all of my headphones, iems, and even phones were bought used or refurb, never had issues except for beyer and their terrible QC. The whole "used is not trustworthy" thing is a myth and most cars are bought used as well. Just because it's used doesn't mean it isn't trustworthy, as long as the seller isn't someone shady you shouldn't ever have issues.

and stay away from the sadie, it turns out it's just a rebranded mofi, it clearly states in the amazon listing formerly called Mo-Fi, it's just a rebranded mofi in a slightly lighter shell (about 20g lighter). Everything else is identical from driver, to impedance, amp (240mw), THD figures, SNR, frequency range, etc

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #195 of 327
  I think the sadie is an extremely terri
Almost all of my headphones, iems, and even phones were bought used or refurb, never had issues except for beyer and their terrible QC. The whole "used is not trustworthy" thing is a myth and most cars are bought used as well. Just because it's used doesn't mean it isn't trustworthy, as long as the seller isn't someone shady you shouldn't ever have issues.

and stay away from the sadie, it turns out it's just a rebranded mofi, it clearly states in the amazon listing formerly called Mo-Fi, it's just a rebranded mofi in a slightly lighter shell (about 20g lighter). Everything else is identical from driver, to impedance, amp (240mw), THD figures, SNR, frequency range, etc

Well I guess it's b/c you don't have cars touching your ears but headphones do. lol Anyway, with my luck, I'd prob get a bunch of lemons if I bought used. lol 

Really? I did see that on Amazon, but they've said in multiple reviews that BOTH the Sadie & Ella were improved upon with regards to tuning. So are you SHURE?! lol

Well the one difference for SHURE is they said they made Sadie & Ella more comfortable than the Mo-Fi (and I guess Lola) was, but the sound thing I dunno. 

Speaking of SHURE lol, did you notice that ShureAllTheWay closed his account? Something tells me you already knew this and may have mentioned it too, but I dunno. Still, this WAS a very good review. He noticed the same things I did like with the tight bass, etc. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back