BLU TAK MOD!!!
Apr 18, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #16 of 22
I tried this with a pair of HD201's that I just bought and I swear that they sound WORSE after the mod. There seems to be LESS bass and less clarity.

I opened them up, pried open the small box encasing the driver and then lined the box with blu tak. Perhaps I did it incorrectly or put too much blu tak but the sound is definitely not an improvement in my opinion.

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #20 of 22
When you have an overly bassy closed headphone it gets muddy.
Imaging a sound wave of bass coming from the driver of an headphone some of that bass will radiate from the back of the driver hit the enclosure and radiate back to your towards ear, but that wave will be out of phase giving a muddier less tight bass feeling. The purpose of dampen the back of an enclosure is so that the blue tak absorbs the bass back wave before hitting the enclosure and reflecting back therefore cleaning up the bass so it sound tighter but lowers the quantity

this could also lead to mids and high inprovements as there is less bass quantity the voice coil is closer to the magnet more often

Jan 26, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #22 of 22
Sorry for the 9 year bump but I have a question.

New 280pros, I immediately filled the empty cup-like area with a blue tak type type filling.  My question is that people are talking about putting Blu-Tak on the 'back of the driver'.  If I filled the cup area, is this putting Blu-Tak on the back of the driver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back