Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Apr 20, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #2,911 of 6,129
Wow, that’s quite different than BGGAR’s comparison graph. For $40, it’s definitely worth taking a chance on it, but less hype is a good thing.

I really believe people should take BGGAR's graphs with loads of salt. Unless he's upgraded his rig, which I doubt has happened as he would likely have rambled on about it for an hour or so in that case, it's likely the old one which is not too accurate and has a lot of trail/error involved to get somewhat consistent results. He's using a Dayton IMM-6 mic with a tube coupler. Not the worst rig but not the most consistent either and definitely isn't IEC compliant (and even IEC compliant ones have their share of inconsistencies).

At the end of the day measurement is as prone to human-error as any other "subjective" assessments. Unless someone is as experienced as, say, Tyll was or Crin/DIYAH is - exercise caution.

Apr 20, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #2,912 of 6,129
I really believe people should take BGGAR's graphs with loads of salt. Unless he's upgraded his rig, which I doubt has happened as he would likely have rambled on about it for an hour or so in that case, it's likely the old one which is not too accurate and has a lot of trail/error involved to get somewhat consistent results. He's using a Dayton IMM-6 mic with a tube coupler. Not the worst rig but not the most consistent either and definitely isn't IEC compliant (and even IEC compliant ones have their share of inconsistencies).

At the end of the day measurement is as prone to human-error as any other "subjective" assessments. Unless someone is as experienced as, say, Tyll was or Crin/DIYAH is - exercise caution.

I can’t wait till Crin gets a hold of the BL05 and the whole ThieAudio IEM lineup. He has only measured the Voyager 3 so far.

Apr 20, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #2,914 of 6,129
This might be preaching to the choir here, but I just finished sanding down the connectors on my set to use a new 16 core QDC cable, and holy hell did it take these from a "meh" to a hands-down personal favorite.

That’s a great idea! How difficult was it to reshape it to a qdc form? Right now I’m just using a Troponin cable via 2 pin.

Apr 20, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #2,915 of 6,129
That’s a great idea! How difficult was it to reshape it to a qdc form? Right now I’m just using a Troponin cable via 2 pin.

It was incredibly easy, I just happened to have a foam sanding block around, the kind commonly used for drywall, which works well because you can get to the bottom of the female connector easily without scuffing the iem itself too badly, took maybe 10 minutes, and the result is a good firm fit, with the connector sliding all the way down.

Cables with the NX7 connectors which fit can be found on aliexpress but the ones I saw were $50+ CAD, with QDC connectors being more common there are many options for closer to $15-$20

Apr 20, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #2,916 of 6,129
Cables with the NX7 connectors which fit can be found on aliexpress but the ones I saw were $50+ CAD, with QDC connectors being more common there are many options for closer to $15-$20

Some TFZ cables also fit and partially cover the female connector, but qdc is so much nicer.

Apr 20, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #2,917 of 6,129

Fingernail file or Emory board works great. You can even use a razor blade such as an X-acto knife.

Apr 20, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #2,918 of 6,129
yeah its super easy...i used a sand paper style nail file and it took about 10min to shape it to fit a tripowin 2.5 balanced cable with qdc connector from linsoul....its a perfect fit....i know this is a blon thread but i bought the thieaudio legacy 3 yesterday and i will be comparing the blon03 and L3 very soon....After the bbgar hype train vid i couldnt resist and jumped on.....hes led me down good audio paths soo far so im a believer that we have very similar tastes in gear and in our music library...im 43 so that probably has something to do with it also.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #2,919 of 6,129

Didn`t he upgrade his measurement rig long time ago already to "match" crins? I think he isn`t using iMM-6 for longer time by now.

Apr 21, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #2,920 of 6,129
Didn`t he upgrade his measurement rig long time ago already to "match" crins? I think he isn`t using iMM-6 for longer time by now.
Yes that's what I believe he did... He started with a rig that was not that great and accurate...Then he & crin communicated and he ended up purchasing the same rig... Don't take me 💯 on that but if I remember correctly that's what happen.

Apr 21, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #2,924 of 6,129
I'm still trying to get my hands on some straight 2pin cable to use the 03s straight down, cause the ear loop fit is quite bad. anyone else doing the same?

Apr 21, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #2,925 of 6,129

Users who are viewing this thread

Back