Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Dec 31, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #2,086 of 6,129
Any idea if NICEHCK DB3's cable will fit into BLON? I read a good review of DB3 and at its asking price it is very good. I think it will be a good pair for back-up and if I can use its cable for BLON, that it will be even better as it is difficult to get a good cable with mic for BLON.

Dec 31, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #2,087 of 6,129
Hi!
Anyone does change canle on Blon Cardinal? will the result be improved sound? and how much will the result be improved sound? and how much worse / better is playing blon bl-03?

Version with metal filters and "audition" text :)

Attachments

• IMG_20191230_203058_GC5.1m.jpg
    IMG_20191230_203058_GC5.1m.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #2,088 of 6,129
Hi!
Anyone does change canle on Blon Cardinal? will the result be improved sound? and how much will the result be improved sound? and how much worse / better is playing blon bl-03?

Version with metal filters and "audition" text :)

The stock red cable is not too bad in terms of quality and minimal microphonics.
I know not everyone believes in cables making a difference to sound, but i pair a SPC nicehck 16 core cable with my Cardinal to give a little bit more brightness and resolution compared to pure copper cable.

Dec 31, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #2,089 of 6,129
The stock red cable is not too bad in terms of quality and minimal microphonics.
I know not everyone believes in cables making a difference to sound, but i pair a SPC nicehck 16 core cable with my Cardinal to give a little bit more brightness and resolution compared to pure copper cable.
Okey, thank you very much :)

What about compare Cardinal and bl03 ? :)

Dec 31, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #2,090 of 6,129

Cardinal is much more neutral than the 03. Sub bass goes deeper, much better detail retrieval and soundstage, faster tighter bass.

Blon 03 is warmer and more analogue sounding. But has a bigger midbass.

Cable does make a difference in sound for sure... Tips also make a difference obvo.

Dec 31, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #2,091 of 6,129
Dec 31, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #2,092 of 6,129
Folks,

I am continuing to realize improvements with the fit and sound of my BL-03. I mentioned before that I ordered a bunch of silicone keyboard switch o-ring bumpers to try out as spacers on the nozzle to keep the tips from sliding down and to get a deeper tip insertion. Well, my o-rings came in and the result is very positive. You can see from the photos that I have rings that color-code the earphones for right and left for easy identification. The rings I am using here are 9 mm total diameter, 4 mm hole diameter, and 2.5 mm ring thickness. This is the perfect size for the BL-03 and KZ "flip tips", allowing the tip bore to fully cover the ridge on the nozzle and hug the shaft of the nozzle for a secure fit, without allowing it to slide any lower. This size ring will likely work perfectly for most other tips too. I have a whole bunch of them and would be happy to send them to folks at cost, but I don't think I am allowed to "sell" things through the forum without paying for that access or something, right?

EDIT: by the way, I have these o-rings in red, blue, and black.

EDIT #2: apparently, there is no cost to be able to sell on the forum! Yay! I posted a for sale listing for the rings here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-...-03-and-others-for-better-fit-eartips.922261/

Anyway, the difference between BL-03 stock and BL-03 with replacement balanced cable, replacement tips, and spacers is absolutely like night and day. I still plan to try a few more tips and also try stuffing these tips with some earplug foam for better isolation, but I am very close to the ideal configuration (for me) at this point already.

DSC_0654.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #2,093 of 6,129
Folks,

I am continuing to realize improvements with the fit and sound of my BL-03. I mentioned before that I ordered a bunch of silicone keyboard switch o-ring bumpers to try out as spacers on the nozzle to keep the tips from sliding down and to get a deeper tip insertion. Well, my o-rings came in and the result is very positive. You can see from the photos that I have rings that color-code the earphones for right and left for easy identification. The rings I am using here are 9 mm total diameter, 4 mm hole diameter, and 2.5 mm ring thickness. This is the perfect size for the BL-03 and KZ "flip tips", allowing the tip bore to fully cover the ridge on the nozzle and hug the shaft of the nozzle for a secure fit, without allowing it to slide any lower. This size ring will likely work perfectly for most other tips too. I have a whole bunch of them and would be happy to send them to folks at cost, but I don't think I am allowed to "sell" things through the forum without paying for that access or something, right?

EDIT #2: apparently, there is no cost to be able to sell on the forum! Yay! I posted a for sale listing for the rings here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-...-03-and-others-for-better-fit-eartips.922261/

Anyway, the difference between BL-03 stock and BL-03 with replacement balanced cable, replacement tips, and spacers is absolutely like night and day. I still plan to try a few more tips and also try stuffing these tips with some earplug foam for better isolation, but I am very close to the ideal configuration (for me) at this point already.

For some reason that picture reminds me of the original buds that came with the dmg 1 gameboy. The red and blue markers on the stems. Man I'm old.

Dec 31, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #2,094 of 6,129
Folks,

Nice work. I'm so glad that the flip tips are working out for so many people!

I use the same blue and red keyboard o rings on my BL-03 as well :)

Is that the tripowin cable? Looks good

Dec 31, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #2,095 of 6,129
Nice work. I'm so glad that the flip tips are working out for so many people!

I use the same blue and red keyboard o rings on my BL-03 as well :)

Is that the tripowin cable? Looks good

Thanks, @Slater ! Who knows who the actual manufacturer of the cable is? It's branded "HiFiHear". I got it because it supports balanced input and I think it looks good with my "brown" BL-03.

Jan 1, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #2,098 of 6,129
Sub to thread! Ive been reading about a week Still way down of half :frowning2:
Im kinda akg sound signature fan usually, is this earphone sound alike it?

Jan 1, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #2,099 of 6,129

My Cardinals ("Audition", no grill version) have a nice amount of details, but also a more metallic/hard sound signature than the BL-03. Confort is amazing, cable is ok, functional. The Cardinals are tips, source and then maybe cable dependant (in that very order IMO). BL-03s still sound more enjoyable in my setup. It's a close call, though. A very good set priced at USD 80.-, if you can still find them new from any seller. Check the buy/sale thread to get a pair if you want one.

Jan 2, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #2,100 of 6,129
Sub to thread! Ive been reading about a week Still way down of half :frowning2:
Im kinda akg sound signature fan usually, is this earphone sound alike it?

I've only got the AKG K702 to compare but Oh hell no. The 702 is quite bright and detailed. The Blon is more of a musical Sennheisery tuning. Coloured but in a really likeable way. I think the CCA C12 is probably closer to the K702 for that money in an IEM. Or maybe even the Tin T2..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back