Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Nov 5, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #691 of 6,129
Hey all! I've had a set of BL-03s for a few weeks now, and I, also, had really struggled with getting a proper seal, and with the stock cable pulling the earpieces out of my ears. I wound up ordering a 2-pin balanced 2.5mm cable. I went with .78mm 2-pin, as the BLON housings have an oddly shaped connector that prevented a QDC cable from fitting properly, and because on the KZ 2-pin cables that I had, the pins were too short to reliably stay connected to the earpieces. The cable that I got works like a charm, even though it sits flush with the connector, as opposed to sheathing it (like the stock cable did). I went with a balanced cable to take advantage of the balanced output of my Radsone EarStudio E100 (which is one of the best, most useful, pieces of gear I've ever owned).

Now with regard to eartips, the only ones that I have found (so far) that work reliably, for me, are the large, silicone, double flange, EarFills from Future Sonics, that came with a pair of Atrios, from years ago. I also found that the small-sized Earfills are, by far, the best fitting tips for my Etymotic ER-4XR (which I also run, balanced, out of my ES100). My only complaint, with these tips on the BLONs, is that they are a narrow bore tip. That works great on the Etymotics, as those are narrow bore IEMs, but I would prefer a wider bore tip on the BLONs, in order to open up the soundstage a bit and to even out the sound (they are pretty bassy with narrow bore tips). However, I'm still happy with the EarFills, for now. Here are links to the cable, and the EarFills:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PXPYV3K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.mcssl.com/store/futuresonics/earfills0153-silicone-sleeves-large

I hope any of that is helpful!

-Gorktastick

Hi @Gorktastick ,

I'm curious about how you feel the BL-03s compare to the ER4XR. I also have the ER4XR, love them, and wonder if theres any reason to also pick up the BL-03s... do they do anything better? Thanks for your or anyone's opinions on this.

Nov 5, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #692 of 6,129
Hi @Gorktastick ,

I'm curious about how you feel the BL-03s compare to the ER4XR. I also have the ER4XR, love them, and wonder if theres any reason to also pick up the BL-03s... do they do anything better? Thanks for your or anyone's opinions on this.

the ER4XR and the Blon are different animal altogether. the Blon is warmer with more midbass, while the ER4XR has leaner mids and treble. soundstage and isolation characteristics are also different between the two. they won't overlap each other in sound and usage in my opinion

Nov 5, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #693 of 6,129
Sorry...
I cut my own spacer rather poorly with a Stanley Knife (in UK very sharp D.I.Y. knife). Where did you get those spacers?
Use a pair of large high quality kitchen or utility scissors. My spacers turned out perfect.

Nov 5, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #694 of 6,129
Received my blon-03 2day. Listening with tennmak whirlwinds. Am loving them
You’re lucky. The Whirlwind tips were the first I tried but I couldn’t get a seal.with the Large. I went to foam tips with success. Now I’m using Sony Hybrid tips which surprisingly didn’t change the sound signature for the worse. Upper midbass and upper midrange tends to get boosted with the Hybrids.....with most sets.

Nov 5, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #698 of 6,129
It sure looks 100x better than the Blon 03 and it appears that the cable and eartips don't need to be changed, which makes it a winner already.
hey man no complaints. $70 is still just on the edge of my "impulse buy" budget, so I have 0 regrets. Surprised how much of a mystery these things are though. Even on taobao I couldn't find a single review.

Nov 5, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #699 of 6,129
There's a review on the AE page linked above. For the Cardinal.

HTB14BEgS7voK1RjSZFNq6AxMVXad.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

Can't wait to hear other impressions though!

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #700 of 6,129
There's a review on the AE page linked above. For the Cardinal.

HTB14BEgS7voK1RjSZFNq6AxMVXad.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

Can't wait to hear other impressions though!

ahh didn't even bother to check AE for reviews since I can't use it here in the mainland. I'm going off taobao only. The seller just messaged me and told me red is temporarily out of stock, but the blue is available. Bit of a bummer bc I love the look of the red cable. But I accepted the blue as a replacement. Good thing is the seller was responsive (placed the order ~2 hours ago) so I have confidence I'll get it fairly soon.

Nov 5, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #701 of 6,129
Just bought the BLON cardinal guys. I live inside of China, so depending on how long ago the other guy on here purchased theirs, I may be the first to get this.
Was ~$70 shipped, so more than double the cost of the BL-03. I'll be sure to let you all know how it sounds! Should have it within a week or less.

ahh didn't even bother to check AE for reviews since I can't use it here in the mainland. I'm going off taobao only. The seller just messaged me and told me red is temporarily out of stock, but the blue is available. Bit of a bummer bc I love the look of the red cable. But I accepted the blue as a replacement. Good thing is the seller was responsive (placed the order ~2 hours ago) so I have confidence I'll get it fairly soon.

@Hisma did u order the Bluejay from taobao?

I spoke to one AE seller last night, they agreed to sell me the BLON Cardinal (red) at their 11/11 price of $64 USD instead of waiting 5 days later for 11/11 to start. They didn't mind locking in the 11/11 price and shipping it out last night, so everyone benefits.
Though, I'm doubtful I will get it before 11/11 to give u guys impressions though, my customs is usually quite slow, so best to wait for @Hisma 's review.
But bummer, I was looking for a blue set and they only had red left in stock.

I got death stares from my wife after ordering it. I promised her I'll only order one other cheap CHIFI IEM on 11/11 that is sub $20, I hope the promise can be kept LOL.

Nov 5, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #702 of 6,129
Going to be jumping in to the world of IEMs with the two pairs of the BLON BL-03! Cheap enough for me to take a risk on. Thinking of going with the Tripowin cable that you can get bundled at DD-Audio (Linsoul?) and getting tips later. Hoping that we'll see more impressions of the Cardinal/Bluejay before 11.11, though it doesn't seem likely, if it's good I'll grab two of those and ditch the extra cables.

Nov 5, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #703 of 6,129
@Hisma did u order the Bluejay from taobao?

I spoke to one AE seller last night, they agreed to sell me the BLON Cardinal (red) at their 11/11 price of $64 USD instead of waiting 5 days later for 11/11 to start. They didn't mind locking in the 11/11 price and shipping it out last night, so everyone benefits.
Though, I'm doubtful I will get it before 11/11 to give u guys impressions though, my customs is usually quite slow, so best to wait for @Hisma 's review.
But bummer, I was looking for a blue set and they only had red left in stock.

I got death stares from my wife after ordering it. I promised her I'll only order one other cheap CHIFI IEM on 11/11 that is sub $20, I hope the promise can be kept LOL.
Yep taobao. Funny... I wonder where the taobao stock is coming from vs the AE stock. It appears BLON does not have an actual online storefront... I'm dealing w/ a 3rd party seller on taobao and all the sellers on AE also appear to be 3rd party.

Nov 5, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #705 of 6,129
Yep taobao. Funny... I wonder where the taobao stock is coming from vs the AE stock. It appears BLON does not have an actual online storefront... I'm dealing w/ a 3rd party seller on taobao and all the sellers on AE also appear to be 3rd party.

Ya the AE sellers selling BLON stuff are mostly 3rd party ones. They don't seem to have an official BLON store. But I've seen other IEM/headphone models being branded under the BLON name but were previously called "Boss hifi", not sure if BLON is doing OEMs for them or they are affiliated or rebranded?

Anyway, the Cardinal/Bluejay has been selling on Aliexpress since the start of this year (I think the BLON BL-03 came out even later than them), so I would think the stock for Cardinal/Bluejay being sold on taobao/AE is probably old stock of the past few months. What reinforced this is when I spoke to the AE seller last night, she said they only had Cardinals in stock, but she could contact the supplier to make more Bluejays, though it won't be in time for 11/11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back