Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Jan 27, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #5,252 of 6,129
Unfortunately I don't have any other cables to test with. The strange thing is that the entire video is extremely quiet on the BL-01s (without the mic button being pressed) except for the Out of Phase section which is loud.

Any ideas for a fix?

You need an adapter plug or another cable compatible with your device, looks like you're having a CTIA plug on OMTP socket issue.

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #5,253 of 6,129
You need an adapter plug or another cable compatible with your device, looks like you're having a CTIA plug on OMTP socket issue.
Is this a common problem though with BL-01s? I've plugged them into everything in my house with a 3.5mm socket and they don't work on any of them. I would have expected at least one of them would have a CTIA type socket to accept the Blon's TRRS plug.

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #5,254 of 6,129
Is this a common problem though with BL-01s? I've plugged them into everything in my house with a 3.5mm socket and they don't work on any of them. I would have expected at least one of them would have a CTIA type socket to accept the Blon's TRRS plug.

I have no idea and I guess most people around here generally don't use cables with mics.

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #5,255 of 6,129
n=1 I do have the BL-01 with the mic cable and its been working fine for me on all my devices. TBH I never expected the mic on the cable to cause a difference so I just keep buying them for convenience. Though after reading your experiences, I'm reconsidering for the future.

Jan 27, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #5,256 of 6,129
Sounds like a trrs problem as said by @chickenmoon . If the phone is wired differently to the headset. Can be diagnosed by holding the button, which connects two of the contacts. If it sounds louder, it is connecting the headset to sound normal then either the headset is wired incorrectly or your device is.

Back in the day, Samsung and apple devices were wired opposite to each other so their headphones with mics were incompatible, and it used to be a right pain in the arse. My guess is the cable is faulty, you could test it on an old device if you have one lying about and are curious. I've not encountered this problem for at least 5 years. An impedance adaptor would "fix" this problem at the cost of reduced sound output.

Personally I'd just try another cable, and toss it in the bin.

Another thought, is you could be pushing them too far in, and blocking the vent hole on the inside of the 01. I know this upsets the sound big time.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #5,258 of 6,129
Got the BL-03 on the way from Amazon.

Really enjoying my Fiio FH3, Qudelix 5K, 2.5mm cable, Spinfit combo rn, but I've been wanting a single DD so it's time to see what the hype is all about!

At the very least, one should try a single DD, a multi BA, a hybrid, a single BA and a Planar Magnetic IEM. They all sound very different and have both their pros and their cons.

Jan 28, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #5,259 of 6,129
Jan 28, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #5,260 of 6,129
I finally got my Final tips in. To be honest, I felt the original BL-01 tips weren't too bad (at least didnt hurt as much as starlines). Though I find these tips have really helped by bringing out the upper mids/treble, while tightning the bass. Plus theyre quite a bit more comfy. Makes me a lot more curious about trying other tips (xelastecs are next).

Jan 28, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #5,261 of 6,129
I finally got my Final tips in. To be honest, I felt the original BL-01 tips weren't too bad (at least didnt hurt as much as starlines). Though I find these tips have really helped by bringing out the upper mids/treble, while tightning the bass. Plus theyre quite a bit more comfy. Makes me a lot more curious about trying other tips (xelastecs are next).

Its all part of the game. In order of Sound Quality gains:
1) headphones
2) source
3) tips
4) dampers
5) cables

Cables make the least difference (if any at all depending on the IEM and the cable), so don't ever go too crazy buying cables. There are some great aftermarket cables available for cheap if you ever want to roll cables. DO NOT GET CAUGHT buying $50+ dollar cables. It won't do anything but extract money from your wallet.

Jan 28, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #5,262 of 6,129
1) headphones
2) source
3) tips
4) dampers
5) cables
By dampers are you referring to those filter things that people place on top of nozzles?

Personally, I put tips ahead of source as I find fit makes a huge difference and most sources these days are good enough (assuming high sensitivity IEMs and things getting loud enough).

Jan 28, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #5,263 of 6,129
1) headphones
2) source
3) tips
4) dampers
5) cables

Cables make the least difference (if any at all depending on the IEM and the cable), so don't ever go too crazy buying cables. There are some great aftermarket cables available for cheap if you ever want to roll cables. DO NOT GET CAUGHT buying $50+ dollar cables. It won't do anything but extract money from your wallet.
I would put tips above source actually. Since they can make or break the iem if you dont get a good seal. Thats why it is crucial to get a big tip collection (silicone).

Jan 28, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #5,264 of 6,129
I would actually put eartips in front of source too (for sound quality gain). Agree that transducer (IEM/headphone) has best gains to upgrade first, though up to a certain point. From midfi to TOTL, there's gonna be mega diminishing returns, but the gains are quite apparent moving from budget to midfi level at least. Upgrading the source for audio gains really depends on the IEM too. Some multi BA/hybrid types can run off anything and don't really benefit from an amp per se.

But I would definitely agree that cables should be the last area to upgrade. Though I have an audiophile friend that use a $1000 USD cable with the BLON BL-03. Yes it is his money, but he swears it makes the sound "richer".

Haha also nobody mentioned about FLAC vs MP3 (file type and bit rate) in the source quality chain? I know a lot of audiophiles swear by FLAC files only, but my 2 cents is that the mastering and recording is more important than whether it is 320 MP3 or FLAC. U can have a well mastered MP3 sounding better than a poorly recorded FLAC IMHO.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #5,265 of 6,129
Haha also nobody mentioned about FLAC vs MP3 (file type and bit rate) in the source quality chain? I know a lot of audiophiles swear by FLAC files only, but my 2 cents is that the mastering and recording is more important than whether it is 320 MP3 or FLAC. U can have a well mastered MP3 sounding better than a poorly recorded FLAC IMHO.
I know for a fact I cant tell apart anything above 256kbps AAC even while using my most resolving IEMs (ER4XR) :beyersmile: I do agree mastering does make a difference, though I mainly listen to pop music these days so it hardly makes a difference. I also realized that varying services have different loudness specs too which does affect percieved dynamics too (especially when comparing Tidal and Spotify).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back