Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Apr 17, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #2,866 of 6,129
Apr 17, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #2,869 of 6,129
Right! it was good if I listened to Diamond to hear the difference. I trust the blon
I hope you will be satisfied. The wait begins, as always.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #2,870 of 6,129
I breathed a sigh of relief when I read that they dropped the piezo driver for the BL-05, as I had feared a piezo driver would ruin what made the BL-03 so special to begin with: the timbre. I've really soured on piezo drivers since I first reviewed the Nicehck N3. I hoped that it would eventually be possible to harness the impressive detail retrieval they offer without compromising timbre, but that doesn't seem to have been the case.

Apr 17, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #2,871 of 6,129
I just got a replacement pair of BL03s. As much as I liked my 1st pair, this pair sounds even better, with more air and spaciousness. The tuning is soooo intoxicating. I just hope they continue to work. I still don’t know what happened to my first pair, and really wish I did, then I could avoid whatever I did to the first pair.

Is driver flex easily distinguishable? I still can’t tell if I’m hearing driver flex, or the crinkling sound from the ear tips.

The good thing is that an airtight seal isn’t critical for these IEMs. I’m using smaller ear tips, to help prevent driver flex, and the sound is still superb.

Apr 17, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #2,872 of 6,129
I just got a replacement pair of BL03s. As much as I liked my 1st pair, this pair sounds even better, with more air and spaciousness. The tuning is soooo intoxicating. I just hope they continue to work. I still don’t know what happened to my first pair, and really wish I did, then I could avoid whatever I did to the first pair.

Is driver flex easily distinguishable? I still can’t tell if I’m hearing driver flex, or the crinkling sound from the ear tips.

The good thing is that an airtight seal isn’t critical for these IEMs. I’m using smaller ear tips, to help prevent driver flex, and the sound is still superb.

Crinkling sound is driver flex. It sounds kind of like how some hard candy wrappers crinkle or crunch. Like butterscotch or cinnamon discs or Atomic fire ball wrappers. Some also say it sounds a little like crinkling aluminum foil, but it doesn’t sound quite like that (to me anyways).

The point is that any crinkling or crunching flexing type sound you hear when you insert your earphones is not the eartips, it’s driver flex.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #2,873 of 6,129
Crinkling sound is driver flex. It sounds kind of like how some hard candy wrappers crinkle or crunch. Like butterscotch or cinnamon discs or Atomic fire ball wrappers. Some also say it sounds a little like crinkling aluminum foil, but it doesn’t sound quite like that.

The point is that any crinkling or crunching flexing type sound you hear when you insert your earphones is not the eartips, it’s driver flex.
Thanks! Then the BL03s have a bunch or driver flex compared to all my other DD IEMs. I’ll keep using smaller ear tips with a loose seal then. Hopefully my prior pair failing (actually suddenly just the left side stopped working correctly) was more of a fluke than an expected vulnerability.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #2,874 of 6,129
Thanks! Then the BL03s have a bunch or driver flex compared to all my other DD IEMs. I’ll keep using smaller ear tips with a loose seal then. Hopefully my prior pair failing (actually suddenly just the left side stopped working correctly) was more of a fluke than an expected vulnerability.

There is a front vent on the BL03 that is supposed to prevent flex, but sometimes they get clogged. If you try to unclog the vent though, there is a danger of piercing the driver.

So it’s usually best to leave it alone and control flex through other means. Such as smaller eartips (as you mentioned), holding your mouth open while you insert the earphone, pulling the ear lobe down during insertion, using foam eartips instead of silicone, etc.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #2,875 of 6,129
pulling the ear before insertion is the kryptonite of driver flex, it is very easy to do, also the left side stopping to work correctly may be a simple mesh filter clogging, it happens from time to time with metal made earphones with fine tuning filter on the nozzle

Apr 17, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #2,876 of 6,129
FYI, I took a careful look at my Blon Cardinals and the Cardinal driver appears to be the same one that was posted as the BL05 driver.

90C04F3E-E171-48C7-BC93-D99A084E0CA0.jpeg

That probably explains why the Cardinal does sound slightly different than the BL03. Especially the sub bass extension. Obviously, the shell difference affects that also, but it was always assumed that the BL03 and Cardinal share the same driver because they were both listed as 10mm carbon nanotube. But now that seems to not be the case, with the Cardinal‘s driver being a 2nd generation design.

Hmm but the Cardinal came out about 6 months prior to the BLON BL-03. Unless they were using older CNT drivers for the "newer" BLON BL-03? Though 6 months in this CHIFI industry is considered a long time, and much technology can develop just within a matter of weeks (cough cough -> NiceHCK NX7 to NX7 Pro).

Even within the Cardinal lineup, there are some sets with an attached spaceship like nozzle filter, and some that come without it. Not sure how this filter thing affects the FR of the Cardinal, but it probably does.

I thought the mids of the Cardinal vs BLON BL-03 were pretty similar, with some slight differences in the treble, but agreed the subbass is better in extension on the Cardinal. Though I've always attributed this better subbass due to the better isolation, fit and soundstage of the Cardinal.

Apr 17, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #2,877 of 6,129
Hmm but the Cardinal came out about 6 months prior to the BLON BL-03. Unless they were using older CNT drivers for the "newer" BLON BL-03? Though 6 months in this CHIFI industry is considered a long time, and much technology can develop just within a matter of weeks (cough cough -> NiceHCK NX7 to NX7 Pro).

Even within the Cardinal lineup, there are some sets with an attached spaceship like nozzle filter, and some that come without it. Not sure how this filter thing affects the FR of the Cardinal, but it probably does.

I thought the mids of the Cardinal vs BLON BL-03 were pretty similar, with some slight differences in the treble, but agreed the subbass is better in extension on the Cardinal. Though I've always attributed this better subbass due to the better isolation, fit and soundstage of the Cardinal.

Perhaps it was an issue of cost, since BL05 is more expensive than BL03?

Dunu has multiple different versions of their beryllium drivers, with the more expensive drivers reserved for the more expensive models.

Also, Intel works on many models at once, and releases them slowly over time in very careful succession. They already have processor designs finished now that won’t even be released for a few years, despite releasing other models 1st.

I guess the only ones that know the whole truth is Blon themselves, and inner workings of most companies are kept secret.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #2,878 of 6,129
Thanks for all of the advice! I will try using smaller foam tips and also try the earlobe trick. I will try popping off the screen on the “broken” unit and see if that solves the problem. I don’t see any obvious clogged filter, but it may be on the inside.

Apr 17, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #2,879 of 6,129
I can offer a few images of the Bon BL-05, uncommented and uncoloured...but you have to find them.

Blon BL-05 Beta

Users who are viewing this thread

Back