Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Mar 7, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #2,656 of 6,129
Okay thankyou for the very clear explanation! But I can't help thinking that accumulated moisture can't be the problem with mine cos the earpiece was on the fritz from the moment I took the Blons outta the box!
Seems like it's just defective then. I definitely recommend trying to return or replace it with the seller if you haven't already.

Mar 7, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #2,657 of 6,129
For driver flex, it is usually due to a too tight seal, and is partially related to the tips we use + our ear anatomy. I found a few ways to mitigate it, YMMV:

1) Use foam tips instead of silicone tips, works sometimes for me. Probably cause the foam is porous and lets air escape thru the foams rather than going into the IEM shell.
2) Sometimes using another silicone tip that has lesser isolation/seal may reduce driver flex, though at the expense of isolation. Try a variety of different ear tips and sizes if you can, some tips give more driver flex than others.
3) Try opening your mouth and pulling down the earlobe before inserting the IEM, this opens the ear canal a bit for more space to insert the eartip, and hopefully some air can escape during insertion with the bigger diameter of the ear canal.
4) Insert the ear tip slowly or not too deeply initially, and slowly make fine adjustments to push it in.

I think it's cause when u look down at them from a vertical position, the opening looks like a star with many lines descending down the eartip.

Even though it is very cheap, I find it is quite compatible with many IEMs for me in providing good sound and fit/isolation.

U can even do this very useful reverse starline mod (credit to @Slater who discovered it) to give some extension: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/flip-tips-prepare-to-have-your-mind-blown.906357/
Thanks. I'm aware of those suggestions for driver flex and they have helped with other earphones in the past, but my BL03 had such extreme driver flex that it was often unusable regardless of the tips I tried until I removed the stock filters.

Mar 7, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #2,658 of 6,129
The right earpiece plays only faintly. So the whole experience is basically ***. Have swapped out various cables and problem remains. Think I'm gonna have to give up on AK Audio and buy another pair. I suppose there is no way anyone can ensure same thing won't happen again, regardless of which seller one buys from... Pity I was so excited to get 'em in the midst of all the raves that I promptly gave AK positive feedback!

There is an option to give additional feedback.

Mar 7, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #2,659 of 6,129
Just need to say that the 'responder' at AK Audio truly, truly sucks. Gives me email address to send him or her vid of my useless (malfunctioning) Blons,. which I do again and again, and s/he claims never to receive it.

Add to that the TRN 2.5mm balanced cable I just received from another seller transmits not a sound from my DAC (the DAC readout doesn't even register it as balanced), and you have one pretty miserable head-fier hereabouts...
Maybe it's being bounced into their spam filter?

Mar 7, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #2,661 of 6,129
Aha! Really! Will check that out!

If you go to your orders... you will have already confirmed delivery and as you say you added the feedback. You should now just see the option for add additional feedback. I don't think you can delete what you first wrote but you should be able to update. Perhaps the lack of support is due to the virus though?

Mar 7, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #2,662 of 6,129
Hello!

What the best ear tips for blon bl 03? I have a sony's eartips(orange clr from 755), but with it blon does have a lot of basSSS

Mar 7, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #2,663 of 6,129
Hello!

What the best ear tips for blon bl 03? I have a sony's eartips(orange clr from 755), but with it blon does have a lot of basSSS
I like foams whit it you can use smal o rings as spacer. Azla sedna are also great

Mar 7, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #2,664 of 6,129
I like foams whit it you can use smal o rings as spacer. Azla sedna are also great

I will second the Azla sedna.

You have to guess correctly on the size though. They are slightly different than most tips. A SM Azla sedna is the same size as a M of most other tips. I strongly suggest checking the OD on the Azla sedna sizing cart, and comparing it with a known tip that also has an OD sizing chart (such as KZ Starlines). That way, you can determine the correct Azla sedna size based on a tip you already know fits.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #2,665 of 6,129

You have to guess correctly on the size though. They are slightly different than most tips. A SM Azla sedna is the same size as a M of most other tips. I strongly suggest checking the OD on the Azla sedna sizing cart, and comparing it with a known tip that also has an OD sizing chart (such as KZ Starlines). That way, you can determine the correct Azla sedna size based on a tip you already know fits.
I will second your second! The Sedna tips are great on a number of my IEMs. In particular they bring out the treble on the BLONs and solve the fit problem for me. I am also using them on the Cardinal, SE846, and some others.

On sizing, agree, these run larger. I usually use L tips, but with the Sedna tips I go with ML.

Mar 7, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #2,666 of 6,129
I will second your second! The Sedna tips are great on a number of my IEMs. In particular they bring out the treble on the BLONs and solve the fit problem for me.
I'm gunna have to raise that to a third second!

I love bass with my classic rock & metal music but with all of the foam tips I tried the Blon 03 was not well balanced and guitars seemed veiled.

From what I've tried I'd suggest the Azla SednaEarfit too. They improved the treble for sure. They also have the widest opening that I've found and it seems to open the sound stage up a bit. I've also found that their stem material grips so well that the O ring trick is not needed.
They come in Small, Medium Small, Medium, Medium Large and Large. This makes it possible to get a spot on fitment even if you need a different size in one ear.

At one point I thought I had a spot on fitment with the MS tips but I found that when I tilted my head back and opened my jaw higher frequencies from outside were getting in meaning that at times the seal was being broken. Back to Medium for me and they stay sealed without being uncomfortable.

There are three types of Sedna's that I know of.
All three use the same size opening to the ear and the same outer fitment dimensions but that's it.
1. The Regular Sedna's are slightly longer than most ear tips and can help some people with fitment problems simply because it will let you insert it further into the ear. They are also made of black silicone material.

2. Sedna also has a shorter version that is designated by the - "S" -. It is built much like a regular tip in the way the end of it sits much closer to the end of the IEM. This creates less insertion depth but retains the wide opening into the ear.

3. Sedna "Light". The light version uses a different type of silicone that is somewhat clear and is supposed to be more comfortable.
The "Light" version comes in both their standard long length and their "S" short version.

About that insertion depth YMMV.
I thought I found the perfect fitment with the standard (long) tips. When installed as intended I found that the tip was rubbing against the inside of my ear making long listening uncomfortable. I simply pushed the tips all of the way down the length of the IEM's stem and that has eliminated/ helped the problem. Because I'm new to this it seems like everything I do is a moment of discovery. It could be all in my head but I swear that pushing them all the way down the stem opened the sound stage up a bit.

Could that long version (standard) pushed all the way down be creating an unintentional intermediate insertion depth?

That question made me look at the dimensions of the shorter "S" version. It looks like when the "S" version is positioned as intended on the IEM they might sit even closer to the tip of the IEM than the longer version pushed all the way down. -Clear as mud-
Being positioned closer to the IEM's tip may or may not help improve the openness and sound stage. I ordered those to find out but they aren't here yet.
Whether I'll start to have fitment problems because of the mounting position and shorter length remains to be seen.

I also ordered Tennmack Turbo Whirlwinds yesterday wondering if the tips are open any wider than the Sedna's. From what people are saying and the pictures they look pretty wide. I'm about to find out.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #2,668 of 6,129
gg99.png

pssh, these ain't hard to drive

Mar 7, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #2,669 of 6,129
I'm sorry to hear that, blon 03's are pretty great. I can test a pair for you and send them to you at shipping cost if it's an actual problem in NZ (maybe they zap them at import).
edit: on a boat
Hey Genck, didn't understand your 'riddle' elsewhere, but are you serious about this sending me a tested pair offer? Could we do it via paypal, and if so, how much?

Mar 7, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #2,670 of 6,129
Azla It is very expensive.
Foam is good too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back