Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Mar 6, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #2,642 of 6,129
Just need to say that the 'responder' at AK Audio truly, truly sucks. Gives me email address to send him or her vid of my useless (malfunctioning) Blons,. which I do again and again, and s/he claims never to receive it.

Add to that the TRN 2.5mm balanced cable I just received from another seller transmits not a sound from my DAC (the DAC readout doesn't even register it as balanced), and you have one pretty miserable head-fier hereabouts...

Mar 6, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #2,643 of 6,129
Just need to say that the 'responder' at AK Audio truly, truly sucks. Gives me email address to send him or her vid of my useless (malfunctioning) Blons,. which I do again and again, and s/he claims never to receive it.

Add to that the TRN 2.5mm balanced cable I just received from another seller transmits not a sound from my DAC (the DAC readout doesn't even register it as balanced), and you have one pretty miserable head-fier hereabouts...
Remind me what is wrong with your Blon exactly?

Mar 6, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #2,644 of 6,129
Remind me what is wrong with your Blon exactly?
The right earpiece plays only faintly. So the whole experience is basically crap. Have swapped out various cables and problem remains. Think I'm gonna have to give up on AK Audio and buy another pair. I suppose there is no way anyone can ensure same thing won't happen again, regardless of which seller one buys from... Pity I was so excited to get 'em in the midst of all the raves that I promptly gave AK positive feedback!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #2,645 of 6,129
The right earpiece plays only faintly. So the whole experience is basically ***. Have swapped out various cables and problem remains. Think I'm gonna have to give up on AK Audio and buy another pair. I suppose there is no way anyone can ensure same thing won't happen again, regardless of which seller one buys from... Pity I was so excited to get 'em in the midst of all the raves that I promptly gave AK positive feedback!
I'm sorry to hear that, blon 03's are pretty great. I can test a pair for you and send them to you at shipping cost if it's an actual problem in NZ (maybe they zap them at import).
edit: on a boat

Mar 6, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #2,646 of 6,129
What search term should one use now to find packs of Starlines on Ali ? Using that name none will come up, currently...

They seem to be more expensive on AE. Maybe type something like "KZ silicone eartips"? They are not called starlines on the shops/online platforms, starlines is just a headfi nickname for them.

I bought a whole set of KZ starlines 30 pieces from ebay for 99 cents: https://www.ebay.com/itm/30Pcs-Smal...Bud-Tip-for-KZ-ED12-ZS2-ATE-ZS3-/252978022948
But I think he is only left with small sized KZ starlines.

Mar 6, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #2,647 of 6,129
I'm sorry to hear that, blon 03's are pretty great. I can test a pair for you and send them to you at shipping cost if it's an actual problem in NZ (maybe they zap them at import).
edit: on a boat
They seem to be more expensive on AE. Maybe type something like "KZ silicone eartips"? They are not called starlines on the shops/online platforms, starlines is just a headfi nickname for them.

I bought a whole set of KZ starlines 30 pieces from ebay for 99 cents: https://www.ebay.com/itm/30Pcs-Smal...Bud-Tip-for-KZ-ED12-ZS2-ATE-ZS3-/252978022948
But I think he is only left with small sized KZ starlines.
Okay.... Got that thanks... Am now curious tho.. Where does the nickname stem from? Sounds kinda odd name for tips...?

Mar 6, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #2,648 of 6,129
The right earpiece plays only faintly. So the whole experience is basically ***. Have swapped out various cables and problem remains. Think I'm gonna have to give up on AK Audio and buy another pair. I suppose there is no way anyone can ensure same thing won't happen again, regardless of which seller one buys from... Pity I was so excited to get 'em in the midst of all the raves that I promptly gave AK positive feedback!
Have you tried removing the nozzle screens with the filters? I had a similar problem and had to do that, and now I use earbud foam in the nozzle instead.

Mar 6, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #2,649 of 6,129
Have you tried removing the nozzle screens with the filters? I had a similar problem and had to do that, and now I use earbud foam in the nozzle instead.
What do you mean by "...(remove) with the filters" though? Could you elaborate? Weird there had been a server error on here for the last hour or so that won't let me respond to genck...

Mar 6, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #2,650 of 6,129
What do you mean by "...(remove) with the filters" though? Could you elaborate? Weird there had been a server error on here for the last hour or so that won't let me respond to genck...
The metal mesh screen at the end of the nozzle has a thin filter stuck to the back that changes the sound signature but also becomes saturated with moisture after use, leading to reduced volume and increased driver flex, at least with my BL03. I removed the original screens with the filters (saving them in case I wanted to put them back), and put cut up pieces of Hiegi earbud foam in the nozzle until the sound signature was approximately the same as before, though I don't have any equipment to measure how the frequency response changed. I then put a third party replacement screen from AliExpress on the end of the nozzle. I still have some driver flex now but no issues with volume lowering due to moisture.

Mar 6, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #2,651 of 6,129
The metal mesh screen at the end of the nozzle has a thin filter stuck to the back that changes the sound signature but also becomes saturated with moisture after use, leading to reduced volume and increased driver flex, at least with my BL03. I removed the original screens with the filters (saving them in case I wanted to put them back), and put cut up pieces of Hiegi earbud foam in the nozzle until the sound signature was approximately the same as before, though I don't have any equipment to measure how the frequency response changed. I then put a third party replacement screen from AliExpress on the end of the nozzle. I still have some driver flex now but no issues with volume lowering due to moisture.
Okay thankyou for the very clear explanation! But I can't help thinking that accumulated moisture can't be the problem with mine cos the earpiece was on the fritz from the moment I took the Blons outta the box!

Mar 7, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #2,655 of 6,129

For driver flex, it is usually due to a too tight seal, and is partially related to the tips we use + our ear anatomy. I found a few ways to mitigate it, YMMV:

1) Use foam tips instead of silicone tips, works sometimes for me. Probably cause the foam is porous and lets air escape thru the foams rather than going into the IEM shell.
2) Sometimes using another silicone tip that has lesser isolation/seal may reduce driver flex, though at the expense of isolation. Try a variety of different ear tips and sizes if you can, some tips give more driver flex than others.
3) Try opening your mouth and pulling down the earlobe before inserting the IEM, this opens the ear canal a bit for more space to insert the eartip, and hopefully some air can escape during insertion with the bigger diameter of the ear canal.
4) Insert the ear tip slowly or not too deeply initially, and slowly make fine adjustments to push it in.

Okay.... Got that thanks... Am now curious tho.. Where does the nickname stem from? Sounds kinda odd name for tips...?

I think it's cause when u look down at them from a vertical position, the opening looks like a star with many lines descending down the eartip.

free-ship-6-Pairs-12pcs-KZ-Eartips-In-Ear-Tips-Earbuds-Headphone-Silicone-Eartips-Ear-Sleev.jpg

Even though it is very cheap, I find it is quite compatible with many IEMs for me in providing good sound and fit/isolation.

U can even do this very useful reverse starline mod (credit to @Slater who discovered it) to give some extension: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/flip-tips-prepare-to-have-your-mind-blown.906357/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back