Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Feb 24, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #2,611 of 6,129
Blon 03s constantly get pulled up for not having technicalities/details, but I'm more interested in what the Blon can do than what they cannot. Quality timbre, tone, rhythm, bass, movement of air, organic sounding music, make the Blond better than all but the most creatively made BA/Hybrids. For under $40 that is the nearest to price inversion we can come. The Blon 03 is synonymous with pleasure and joy to me.

Actually the BLON BL-03 is not under $40 with aftermarket tips and cables added to the mix, maybe closer to 50 bucks and beyond, unless you are one of the lucky few who can get a good fit with the stock accessories OOTB (especially the iffy stock tips).

But agree with you there that technicalities is not the be all and end all for an IEM, and musical enjoyment is also a very important point. Well sometimes we are guilty of analyzing the music too much instead of enjoying the actual music (I'll be the first to put up my hand and own up).

Feb 24, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #2,612 of 6,129
Actually the BLON BL-03 is not under $40 with aftermarket tips and cables added to the mix, maybe closer to 50 bucks and beyond

Nah, anyone spending $50+ is doing something wrong.

I paid $23 shipped for both of mine from eBay. Add $0.80 for a SML set of Starlines, flip tip them for free (or make a spacer from the core of one of the unused tips), and add $7 for a 16-core TRN upgrade cable.

That’s $31 for a sweet setup.

Sure, you can go crazy and buy a really expensive cable, at which point the sky is the limit. They sell cables from $4 all the way to $7,500 and beyond.

Same with tips - you can get expensive Japanese tips like $40 for ONE PAIR of JVC Spiral Dot++, $120+ for a pair of custom eartips, etc.

But those things are totally unnecessary for the average person. $30ish is all you need to spend, and that’s assuming the stock Blon stuff doesn’t even work for you (which it does for a lot of people). If you use the stock cable/tips, it’s $23ish.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #2,613 of 6,129
Talking about "bad technicalities", bloat and other things (which the BL-03 doesn't seem to have)

when listening to "Temple of Shambala" by Rom Di Prisco & "Bushido" which are quite busy tracks (Unreal Tournament 3 Original Soundtrack) in FLAC format

there's a difference that there's none of the razorsharp distinction, separation of the sounds, instruments of BA-driver IEMs (e.g. the TRN V90) - it sounds more resonance-, echo-like, I'd also refer to it as "dreamy" that you can immerse yourself into the music (reminding me of the Tin T2 which are also dynamic driver, albeit dual vs. 1 DD) however it doesn't really sound like it's smearing

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #2,614 of 6,129
I paid $23 shipped for both of mine from eBay. Add $0.80 for a SML set of Starlines, flip tip them
I found below tip and feel that they isolate better for me than flipped Starline.

#Aliexpress SG$ 3.93 31%OFF | Original S/M/L Dual Colors Silicone flexible durable Colombia earbuds/ear tips/ear pad for mdr dr xba series of in-ear earphone
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dS86J4v

Feb 24, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #2,615 of 6,129
Talking about "bad technicalities", bloat and other things (which the BL-03 doesn't seem to have)

when listening to "Temple of Shambala" by Rom Di Prisco & "Bushido" which are quite busy tracks (Unreal Tournament 3 Original Soundtrack) in FLAC format

there's a difference that there's none of the razorsharp distinction, separation of the sounds, instruments of BA-driver IEMs (e.g. the TRN V90) - it sounds more resonance-, echo-like, I'd also refer to it as "dreamy" that you can immerse yourself into the music (reminding me of the Tin T2 which are also dynamic driver, albeit dual vs. 1 DD) however it doesn't really sound like it's smearing

Great track and drums. Blon 03 with a y****o v2 cable and Spiral Dots L. Sounds great and the Blons manage to carry all the musical activity in a good way. Listening now. Complex and interesting track that is well put together.

Feb 24, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #2,616 of 6,129
I found below tip and feel that they isolate better for me than flipped Starline.

#Aliexpress SG$ 3.93 31%OFF | Original S/M/L Dual Colors Silicone flexible durable Colombia earbuds/ear tips/ear pad for mdr dr xba series of in-ear earphone
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dS86J4v

Those are Sony style eartips, and you're right they're very good eartips. I have a bunch of them. The silicone is very soft, flexible, and grippy.

Feb 24, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #2,617 of 6,129
Those are Sony style eartips, and you're right they're very good eartips. I have a bunch of them. The silicone is very soft, flexible, and grippy.

The tips I'm using are similar except have some very soft foam in them. They came with an old Vsonic GR01.

Feb 24, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #2,618 of 6,129
The tips I'm using are similar except have some very soft foam in them. They came with an old Vsonic GR01.

If they’re genuine Sony tips, those are very rare and sought after tips!

Feb 24, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #2,619 of 6,129
If they’re genuine Sony tips, those are very rare and sought after tips!

Unless Vsonic sourced them from Sony...I don't know.

Feb 24, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #2,620 of 6,129
So these weren't supposed to be used daily, but here I am in a recliner at home with other full size headphones like the HD650, Q701, K371 within reach, but I have the BL03 in my ears and my ES100 clipped to my shirt. With very minimal EQ these things really do sound great and are plenty detailed.

Feb 25, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #2,621 of 6,129
Great track and drums. Blon 03 with a y****o v2 cable and Spiral Dots L. Sounds great and the Blons manage to carry all the musical activity in a good way. Listening now. Complex and interesting track that is well put together.

"Temple of Shambala" by Rom Di Prisco & "Bushido"
OK. Spent some time using this track. I downloaded it in mp3 320 kbps (all I could get). Tried to spend some time using mindfulness and familiarity, listening many times to each of the Blon 03, Urbanfun iss014 and the Cambridge Audio SE1 all using JVC Spiral Dots L. Three superb sets of DD IEMs with good Timbre, Tone and Bass, yet all different. The drums really shout from the Urbanfun. Tight drums, full and with perfect Rhythm, the best of the three for bass, drums and shape.....perfect and bloat free. The soundstage of the SE1 places the relative positions of the drums perfectly. Really gives an enjoyable spacial sense of depth and width, amazing for it's tiny Beryllium driver. The Blon 03s once again is the timbre and tone King. Juicy and never smeared, makes music enjoyable and is a sprinter and marathon IEM. Can be enjoyed for long periods. All three make "Temple of Shambala" by Rom Di Prisco & "Bushido" sound great, but all different in good ways. Good way to use mindfulness to familiarise Bushido drumming. We have to spend time mindfully listening and familiarizing to really hear the nuanced differences. Concentration and mindful noticing is our ally but it all takes a sense of motivation.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #2,623 of 6,129
Nah, anyone spending $50+ is doing something wrong.

I paid $23 shipped for both of mine from eBay. Add $0.80 for a SML set of Starlines, flip tip them for free (or make a spacer from the core of one of the unused tips), and add $7 for a 16-core TRN upgrade cable.

That’s $31 for a sweet setup.

Sure, you can go crazy and buy a really expensive cable, at which point the sky is the limit. They sell cables from $4 all the way to $7,500 and beyond.

Same with tips - you can get expensive Japanese tips like $40 for ONE PAIR of JVC Spiral Dot++, $120+ for a pair of custom eartips, etc.

But those things are totally unnecessary for the average person. $30ish is all you need to spend, and that’s assuming the stock Blon stuff doesn’t even work for you (which it does for a lot of people). If you use the stock cable/tips, it’s $23ish.
I'm assuming you mean the standard KZ silicone tips that have four evenly spaced out grooves on the stock design? Otherwise I've got no idea.

Feb 25, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #2,624 of 6,129
I'm assuming you mean the standard KZ silicone tips that have four evenly spaced out grooves on the stock design? Otherwise I've got no idea.

4BE7CA26-8AFC-47E2-84C2-B40E2220193C.jpeg

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/flip-tips-prepare-to-have-your-mind-blown.906357/

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #2,625 of 6,129
I know some of you have already discovered this, but the Blon works great cable down (with a 3rd party that has a straight 2-pin connector). You just have to swap L and R ear pieces.

It feels very comfortable this way, almost like it was made to go either way.

To make it fit right (with my ears anyways), I did have to go with even longer tips than the MH755. Flip Tips work perfect, and the horn shaped bore make them sound A+.

I thought that if you swap L/R, you will get reverse polarity issues and have the two IEM's be out of phase?
https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

I ordered these with hope of using them cable down..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back