Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Dec 12, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #1,726 of 6,129
I'm also chipping in to talk a little bit about the BL-03, because the process of understanding and getting to know this IEM was an experience.

I've bought fully into budget chi-fi hype and gotten burned before, so I was reticent about this from the get-go. And the hype machine makes me want to like these less. Everyone and their mother was gushing over these things. How good were they really, and was it really just budget hype - whenever something cheap and good appears, everyone seems to lose their fricking minds.

I've reached "audio endgame", as cliche as it is. I don't need to buy another pair of headphones. I own a desktop monoprice 788, a DanClark Ether CX, Klipsch HP-3, a heavily modified pair of Thieaudio Phantom. Where IEMs are concerned I'm a Moondrop fanboy, I have KXXS and recently S8. So when I heard about the BL-03 I eyerolled, watching people flip out about all the stuff Linsoul and Aliexpress vendors pimp month after month was making me jaded.

But the price wasn't anything worth thinking too hard about and the overwhelming praise made me suspicious, so I decided to eat packaged food for a few days to offset the budget and give it a shot. At worst the packaging would be good for meme value.

Cable is thin and unimpressive. I immediately swapped for a 6-core OCC, and threw out the tips for Acoustune AET07 (I freaking love Acoustune tips). Shoved them in my ears, took a deep breath. Haha, I was right I thought. The build was good, the shells were small and pretty, but didn't fit my ears very well. It really tough to get a good seal even with my preferred tips, and I found myself really having to shove these in. I also felt, overwhelmingly, that these were thin and lacking in mids. Thinking nothing of it, I brought them to work and hocked them around a bit. There was a taker eventually, but mostly we spent time laughing at the packaging.

Fast forward a month or so and the colleague who picked these up had been telling me how great these were. I again, eyerolled, assuming it to be another case of 'first time listening to headphones or iems that don't sound like complete garbage' or babby's first interaction with hi-fi. But he was irritatingly persistent even after I shoved the S8 in his ears (while WTFing about the "holy god how much did you say those cost" section).

So I go home, take the BL-03 with me and really take some time trying to understand what the deal was with these things. I try a variety of sources, and try to understand them in isolation without A/Bing them hard against anything else I own.

I get it now.

My initial impressions were not entirely wrong, but they also stray a fair bit from my preferred (Harman?) tuning.

First, the good. The separation on this thing and sense of space between instruments positionally is ****ing wild for a $35 iem. We're talking a wide and decently expansive soundstage with decent positional accuracy. The bass does literally everything anyone can ask for in a DD IEM. It kicks hard, it rumbles, the attack and decay is tight and fast. I'm hearing a midbass hump (I could be wrong). Songs with good slap bass are a total dream on this thing and I caught myself nodding my head a few times. Even counting in cable and tip upgrades (pushing it to around $50 USD region) I would happily put this up against anything in the $150 range. Beyond that competition gets stupid fierce and we start looking at driver type, multi-BA, hybrid sets, but yes, the BL-03 drastically overperforms.

The bad, and the entire reason I dismissed this thing in the first place - mids and lower treble suckout. I don't know if the tuning on this thing is an accident or something, but the width of the soundstage almost seemed to work against the mids. Vocal presentation, both male and female, suffers heavily - detail is not the issue here, but richness. Voices sound thin and have a slightly metallic quality that's really unpleasant to my ears. The soundstage is wider than it is deep, and what sound like recessed mids are possibly an attempt to add depth and height to the sound. This seems to go all the way to the treble region. This is especially notable in songs with lots of percussion or hi-hat work; while the bass drums kick and thump like they should, ride cymbals and intricate hi-hat work never quite sound like they should and have a fuzz or this veiled mess on them that makes it occasionally difficult to pick out individual strokes.

The tradeoff, of course, is that the BL-03 never comes close to being sibilant or harsh. Despite my personal beef with the mids, the bass and midbass presentation being as strong as they are makes it all work together somehow, and overall, it is cohesive.

So are the BL-03 worth the hype?

I'd say for the price... very yes. Rap, hip-hop, anything with strong thumping bass is going to have a great time. Rock is ok, even if distorted guitars sound a bit further away than they should. Bass, soundstage, and resolution are unlike anything I've hard at this price point. The overall signature is not to my taste... but at the bargain price of $35, I'm not sure you can get comparable quality.

Dec 12, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #1,727 of 6,129
Ok so i re ordered a blon from amazon and hopefully will be here over the weekend.. with it i bought a **** 16 core cable 2-pin and also cp100 spinfit tips..

i have heard that these blons do benefit from wearing cables down? How do u guys do this? Need to flip the left and right? Meaning blue cable goes to right earbuds and vice versa?

ohh and for those that has experience with cp100 can u guys confirm that i dont need to do o-ring mod?

Dec 12, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #1,728 of 6,129
I'm also chipping in to talk a little bit about the BL-03, because the process of understanding and getting to know this IEM was an experience.

I've bought fully into budget chi-fi hype and gotten burned before, so I was reticent about this from the get-go. And the hype machine makes me want to like these less. Everyone and their mother was gushing over these things. How good were they really, and was it really just budget hype - whenever something cheap and good appears, everyone seems to lose their fricking minds.

I've reached "audio endgame", as cliche as it is. I don't need to buy another pair of headphones. I own a desktop monoprice 788, a DanClark Ether CX, Klipsch HP-3, a heavily modified pair of Thieaudio Phantom. Where IEMs are concerned I'm a Moondrop fanboy, I have KXXS and recently S8. So when I heard about the BL-03 I eyerolled, watching people flip out about all the stuff Linsoul and Aliexpress vendors pimp month after month was making me jaded.

But the price wasn't anything worth thinking too hard about and the overwhelming praise made me suspicious, so I decided to eat packaged food for a few days to offset the budget and give it a shot. At worst the packaging would be good for meme value.

Cable is thin and unimpressive. I immediately swapped for a 6-core OCC, and threw out the tips for Acoustune AET07 (I freaking love Acoustune tips). Shoved them in my ears, took a deep breath. Haha, I was right I thought. The build was good, the shells were small and pretty, but didn't fit my ears very well. It really tough to get a good seal even with my preferred tips, and I found myself really having to shove these in. I also felt, overwhelmingly, that these were thin and lacking in mids. Thinking nothing of it, I brought them to work and hocked them around a bit. There was a taker eventually, but mostly we spent time laughing at the packaging.

Fast forward a month or so and the colleague who picked these up had been telling me how great these were. I again, eyerolled, assuming it to be another case of 'first time listening to headphones or iems that don't sound like complete garbage' or babby's first interaction with hi-fi. But he was irritatingly persistent even after I shoved the S8 in his ears (while WTFing about the "holy god how much did you say those cost" section).

So I go home, take the BL-03 with me and really take some time trying to understand what the deal was with these things. I try a variety of sources, and try to understand them in isolation without A/Bing them hard against anything else I own.

I get it now.

My initial impressions were not entirely wrong, but they also stray a fair bit from my preferred (Harman?) tuning.

First, the good. The separation on this thing and sense of space between instruments positionally is ****ing wild for a $35 iem. We're talking a wide and decently expansive soundstage with decent positional accuracy. The bass does literally everything anyone can ask for in a DD IEM. It kicks hard, it rumbles, the attack and decay is tight and fast. I'm hearing a midbass hump (I could be wrong). Songs with good slap bass are a total dream on this thing and I caught myself nodding my head a few times. Even counting in cable and tip upgrades (pushing it to around $50 USD region) I would happily put this up against anything in the $150 range. Beyond that competition gets stupid fierce and we start looking at driver type, multi-BA, hybrid sets, but yes, the BL-03 drastically overperforms.

The bad, and the entire reason I dismissed this thing in the first place - mids and lower treble suckout. I don't know if the tuning on this thing is an accident or something, but the width of the soundstage almost seemed to work against the mids. Vocal presentation, both male and female, suffers heavily - detail is not the issue here, but richness. Voices sound thin and have a slightly metallic quality that's really unpleasant to my ears. The soundstage is wider than it is deep, and what sound like recessed mids are possibly an attempt to add depth and height to the sound. This seems to go all the way to the treble region. This is especially notable in songs with lots of percussion or hi-hat work; while the bass drums kick and thump like they should, ride cymbals and intricate hi-hat work never quite sound like they should and have a fuzz or this veiled mess on them that makes it occasionally difficult to pick out individual strokes.

The tradeoff, of course, is that the BL-03 never comes close to being sibilant or harsh. Despite my personal beef with the mids, the bass and midbass presentation being as strong as they are makes it all work together somehow, and overall, it is cohesive.

I'd say for the price... very yes. Rap, hip-hop, anything with strong thumping bass is going to have a great time. Rock is ok, even if distorted guitars sound a bit further away than they should. Bass, soundstage, and resolution are unlike anything I've hard at this price point. The overall signature is not to my taste... but at the bargain price of $35, I'm not sure you can get comparable quality.

Actually, for some of us (myself included), we appreciate the BLON mostly for its timbre and natural organic tonality. The timbre is one of the best for acoustic instruments (woodwind, strings, brass), very natural sounding like listening to a real instrument upfront. IMHO it is weak in isolation and techinicals (instrument separation, clarity, details) compared to other budget sets at the same price range that are multi BA/hybrids (eg TRN V90, CCA C12, KZ ZSX). The BL-03 gets muddy for complex instrumentation or with competing riffs. But if u are a connoisseur of jazz, acoustic, classical, indie stuff, it is an excellent set.
The midbass has a hump indeed, and actually a few headfiers don't like it for this reason. It is very tip and source dependent though, so maybe do explore around to see what gives the best synergy. Amping definitely increases the details, dynamics and tightens up the bass.

Soundstage I would class it as above average compared to other CHIFI, not the best, but quite good at the price range. Yeah the lower mids are slightly recessed with a higher treble rolloff, I think it wasn't tuned to be a midcentric or treblehead IEM, so that's one part of the sound signature that is here to stay, for better or worse.
I know the BLON BL-03 is the biggest CHIFI hypetrain currently, on both headfi and other budget audio sites/blogs. I like it a lot, but to be objective about the BL-03, it can compete with $100 USD IEMs, but the technicals hold it back from being a TOTL giant killer.

Ok so i re ordered a blon from amazon and hopefully will be here over the weekend.. with it i bought a **** 16 core cable 2-pin and also cp100 spinfit tips..

i have heard that these blons do benefit from wearing cables down? How do u guys do this? Need to flip the left and right? Meaning blue cable goes to right earbuds and vice versa?

ohh and for those that has experience with cp100 can u guys confirm that i dont need to do o-ring mod?

Ya u need to flip the cables. Spinfit CP100 doesn't need the o ring mod, it is a long nozzle eartip by itself. But do be aware the CP100 will increase the bass of the BLON BL-03 due to its narrower nozzle.

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #1,729 of 6,129
Ok got my blon just now!! And fit the spinfit!! Wooo weeee u guys are right they sound fun.. i mean they are not as clear as the ie800s or k3003.. but theyre not as fatiguing at the same time and can be a real worthy of a daily beater

now time to oppoty in my driams

just waiting for the **** cable but really the stock cable isnt that bad for me..

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #1,730 of 6,129
What is this BLON S1? I haven't heard anything about it.
Screenshot_20191212-203445.png

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #1,731 of 6,129
What is this BLON S1? I haven't heard anything about it.

It was an older BLON before the BL-03 was released. BLON has quite a few other older model IEMs (eg Cardinal/Bluejay) and they are also doing well in the headphone market, with good reviews in general for their higher priced headphones like the B8:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/blon-in-ear-monitors-impressions-thread.916702/page-36#post-15280887

The S1 looks a bit plasticky/cheap looking though, but of course don't judge a book by its cover.

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #1,732 of 6,129
Actually, for some of us (myself included), we appreciate the BLON mostly for its timbre and natural organic tonality. The timbre is one of the best for acoustic instruments (woodwind, strings, brass), very natural sounding like listening to a real instrument upfront. IMHO it is weak in isolation and techinicals (instrument separation, clarity, details) compared to other budget sets at the same price range that are multi BA/hybrids (eg TRN V90, CCA C12, KZ ZSX). The BL-03 gets muddy for complex instrumentation or with competing riffs. But if u are a connoisseur of jazz, acoustic, classical, indie stuff, it is an excellent set.
The midbass has a hump indeed, and actually a few headfiers don't like it for this reason. It is very tip and source dependent though, so maybe do explore around to see what gives the best synergy. Amping definitely increases the details, dynamics and tightens up the bass.

Soundstage I would class it as above average compared to other CHIFI, not the best, but quite good at the price range. Yeah the lower mids are slightly recessed with a higher treble rolloff, I think it wasn't tuned to be a midcentric or treblehead IEM, so that's one part of the sound signature that is here to stay, for better or worse.
I know the BLON BL-03 is the biggest CHIFI hypetrain currently, on both headfi and other budget audio sites/blogs. I like it a lot, but to be objective about the BL-03, it can compete with $100 USD IEMs, but the technicals hold it back from being a TOTL giant killer.

I agree; for acoustic instruments and classical the BL-03 is very good and again performs above its price point.

The interesting thing is that I can't find anything that has this specific tonality at this price. There are other "good value" sets, but they all start at a higher price and have different tunings (in my experience overdone treble is most common in chi-fi out of a desire to increase perceived detail).

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #1,733 of 6,129
The interesting thing is that I can't find anything that has this specific tonality at this price. There are other "good value" sets, but they all start at a higher price and have different tunings (in my experience overdone treble is most common in chi-fi out of a desire to increase perceived detail).

Yeah, the very un-chifi tuning is one of the things that really makes the Blon stand out at this price point.

Hopefully with the upcoming iteration revising the nozzle, they will fit better for more people -- making them the perfect earphone to buy for folks as gifts or recommend to people who just want a nice earphone and don't want to have to learn about aftermarket cables : )

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #1,734 of 6,129
I agree; for acoustic instruments and classical the BL-03 is very good and again performs above its price point.

Yeah, the very un-chifi tuning is one of the things that really makes the Blon stand out at this price point.

Hopefully with the upcoming iteration revising the nozzle, they will fit better for more people -- making them the perfect earphone to buy for folks as gifts or recommend to people who just want a nice earphone and don't want to have to learn about aftermarket cables : )

Yeah agreed I haven't found any other CHIFI at this price range that has such good timbre and tonality.

And yep, I also thought in the past a lot of CHIFI artificially boost the lower treble/upper mids to get a fake sense of more details. But this boosted area is also apparently a preferred mainland Chinese audiophile sound tuning, they like the brightness at those frequencies for their pop songs for female vocals (I was told of this by some mainland Chinese audiophile friends and some tuners like KopiOKaya). The rest of the world find those boosted areas fatiguing, but if I'm not wrong, the local China market is bigger than the international customers, so these CHIFI would definitely tune their sets to cater to the bigger customer pool.

Maybe as @kukkurovaca says, that's why the BL-03 is so appreciated in the west, due to the atypical tuning that stands it out from the usual bright, hyperdetailed CHIFI dime and dozen sets.

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #1,735 of 6,129
ive been listening to the blon for 1.5 hours.. i mean i don't know if my opinion is any good.. but maybe anyone that has experience can chime in!! comparing to my shure se425 at least or even se535.. i really do prefer the sound signature on the blon bl-03 and in terms of details and instrument separation.. i dont feel like it's missing anything that the se425 has? THAT and the fact that u guys complain about bl03's stock cable.. i find it to be less tangle-prone than shure's cable.. i find shure's cable to be a real pain in the bum bum!!!

anyone agrees? :)

Dec 13, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #1,736 of 6,129

I get it now.

What a thoughtful and meticulous review. Very well done. You should review IEMs for a living. If you don’t already. :)
Thank you. Now I’m even more excited then before.

Dec 13, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #1,737 of 6,129
78083722_742786482870739_4276498485655633920_n.jpg
76638455_551983278695058_6820855391186845696_n.jpg

I match my blon bl-03 with ortofon silicone tips L(ortofon tips size is smaller than standard tips size so beware) plus a nicehck 8 core spc cable that is sale around 10$ it is very match it better than neotech hybrid cable that I used previously the sound is clean vocal is clear,bright,forward treble is really good no piercing and harsh peak bass is ok with no bass bleed into other zone it got enough impact for fun listening and the dap i use is qngee x2 which has warmth sound match very well with blon I want everyone to try out nicehck 8 core spc cable, ortofon tips.
link for cable: https://th.aliexpress.com/item/32914622984.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dlI3lQ7

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #1,738 of 6,129
But this boosted area is also apparently a preferred mainland Chinese audiophile sound tuning, they like the brightness at those frequencies for their pop songs for female vocals (I was told of this by some mainland Chinese audiophile friends and some tuners like KopiOKaya). The rest of the world find those boosted areas fatiguing, but if I'm not wrong, the local China market is bigger than the international customers, so these CHIFI would definitely tune their sets to cater to the bigger customer pool.

Maybe as @kukkurovaca says, that's why the BL-03 is so appreciated in the west, due to the atypical tuning that stands it out from the usual bright, hyperdetailed CHIFI dime and dozen sets.

I think this is exactly what's throwing me off. My preferred tuning is Harmanish with maybe a couple notches lower in the 8-10k region. The BL-03 makes me feel like the entire upper mids section is missing, and when i look for it, it feels scooped out and indistinct.

The type of music I listen to also has something to do with it -the advice about hitting it with more acoustic, classical and jazz really helps.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #1,739 of 6,129
Ok, so I've been listening to the Blon like 16h non-stop, and they really do sound pretty amazing for the price. But for some reason in some songs, I can't hear some things, for example: in a lot of Yellowcard songs, when they start playing the guitar and drums and a bunch of other stuff at the same time, I just can't here the background music as good as I would like to, and I could here it pretty nicely, even on $10 JBL C100Si..
Sound stage is amazing, nice bass, but a bit lacking to my taste (imma basshead), thank goodness no piercing highs, sibilance, but background music often gets drowned out somehow
Overall, I'm not disappoint with my purchase, but due to all the hype, I thought they would be better, but they're still great!!

Dec 13, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #1,740 of 6,129
Ok, so I've been listening to the Blon like 16h non-stop, and they really do sound pretty amazing for the price. But for some reason in some songs, I can't hear some things, for example: in a lot of Yellowcard songs, when they start playing the guitar and drums and a bunch of other stuff at the same time, I just can't here the background music as good as I would like to, and I could here it pretty nicely, even on $10 JBL C100Si..
Sound stage is amazing, nice bass, but a bit lacking to my taste (imma basshead), thank goodness no piercing highs, sibilance, but background music often gets drowned out somehow
Overall, I'm not disappoint with my purchase, but due to all the hype, I thought they would be better, but they're still great!!
What kind of source/player are you listening with

Users who are viewing this thread

Back