Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Dec 12, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #1,711 of 6,129
I just noticed that if I cover the tips with my fingers, one ear leaks more sound :triportsad: And I kind of feel like that ear has less isolation. Does anyone else have such a problem?

Not everyone has identical ear canal anatomy on both ears. For a few IEMs, I have to use different tips/tip sizes for each ear. More so for an IEM that is very fit finicky like the BL-03.

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #1,712 of 6,129
Not everyone has identical ear canal anatomy on both ears. For a few IEMs, I have to use different tips/tip sizes for each ear. More so for an IEM that is very fit finicky like the BL-03.
I know, I mean if I take them Out of my ears, and just cover the tips (to prevent sound leakage), and then listen to the sound that leaks from the outside, the right earphone leaks more sound than the left one. The volume of both left and right are the same, but I think one is worse isolated (maybe they used less glue..?)

Dec 12, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #1,714 of 6,129
Hello there, I dont write here too much, only to give my impressions.

So I've acquired the BLON'03 and have been using them for the past three days, and how do I begin this?

The hype is real with these IEMs. I have acquired the following sets: FH5, FA1, HD600 headphones, Momentum 2.0 wireless headphone, and Koss . I'm considering the BLON'03 to be the best among them in regards to price ratio = performance , even better than the Koss KPH30i in that regard imho.

First thing I did was to swap out the cable for a TRIPOWIN C8, and tips for a Spin Fits CP-1000 medium size. I was not going to bother with the stock cables and stocks tips cause I wanted the best impressions out of them after unboxing.

COMFORT & FIT:

So, after swapping the cables and tips, I haven't had any problem with the fit at all. I can use them for hours and I experience basically no fatiguing while wearing them on. Although, due to its respective design, I think they do not seal enough as let's say my FA1, so the isolation is on the average side; however, I haven't felt the need to adjust the seal on my ears cause they sit right and do not fall off my ears, not even while I'm in movement.

Personally, I had a way more annoying situation with the fit on my FH5 due to its short nozzle and bulkier design compared to my BLON'03. To the point where I had to mod them out.

SOUND IMPRESSIONS:

God damn, almost everyone here has already said these perform way above their price, but I was not expecting such performance in practice; it's way better than I expected.

All these sound impressions are done while having them paired with my OPPO HA2SE for reference

So with my rookie manner to describe the sound signature out of these IEMs. They actually give you a sense like if they were V Shaped type of signature, but they actually are not! All the details given by every range are there in some way.

BLON'03 has a balance sound signature with a bit of mid bass boost but I consider these IEMs as the BEST example of "BASS NO MIDDLING OR BLEEDING THE MIDS AND HIGH RANGE".

Hell, even when I compare them to my FH5, which the later has a more sub bass focus, you clearly notice how the bass somehow bleeds the the mids a bit on those sets; but!! the BLON'03 bass, while poweful, it gives you a sense like there is layer or a wall that is separating the bass against other frequencies allowing you to pin point each range clearly. Though this does not mean the set does not provide you with that low mid range humming on certains instruments such as guitars, etc. When the track demands it, of course. The tonality and timbre on this set is perfect and so pleasant to listen to.

I can understand some users may think the set has too much bass for them, but hell, it is fun bass to listen to, and I think this set does not need EQ in any way. Although you are free to EQ it if you wish to reduce the bass a bit.

The Mids and highs are clear and detailed, though the only negative I would put on them is the vocals may sound a bit on the thin side.

Vocals are not forward. However, they give you a sense they peform a bit above you or above instruments though on the thin side, and I would say I miss a bit of volume on them( yep, I got very accustomed to the intense shouty vocals performance of the FH5, and that high volume vocals of my HD600)

Treble does not wao me ( I'm coming from the HD600 which has an spectacular treble) though they were well extended, sweet and non-fatiguing

Soundstage is decent, wider than my FH5 for example, but instruments separation is on average side. Here, you can clearly realize the advantage when it comes to instruments separation or imagining in favor of my FH5 due to more technicalities, thanks to having three Balanced Armatures on them.

Overall, an amazing purchase!! It's too good that I'm now ordering my second pair through Amazon as a back up.

Dec 12, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #1,715 of 6,129
I love the timbre and musicality of my blons, but sometimes they are a pain to get a good seal with them, this usually manifests to me as the bass feeling anaemic or missing. But sometimes they are great. I'm not sure if it's the erratic fit, sometimes my hearing or mood sometimes doesn't register the bass. I swapped to an iem that can't be mentioned here, but ends in qt2 the other night and immediately heard my usual preference for bass. I was lying in bed trying to sleep, so not sure if it was just me, my mood, or the fit. Who knows?

Sometimes the blons are a strange beast. I will say for certain however, I prefer more isolation than they provide. I like to listen to my iems at about 30-40% straight out of my phone, that's enough volume for me.

I use extra large earphones plus tips with a home made o ring, for further random information.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #1,716 of 6,129
I love the timbre and musicality of my blons, but sometimes they are a pain to get a good seal with them, this usually manifests to me as the bass feeling anaemic or missing. But sometimes they are great. I'm not sure if it's the erratic fit, sometimes my hearing or mood sometimes doesn't register the bass. I swapped to an iem that can't be mentioned here, but ends in qt2 the other night and immediately heard my usual preference for bass. I was lying in bed trying to sleep, so not sure if it was just me, my mood, or the fit. Who knows?

Sometimes the blons are a strange beast. I will say for certain however, I prefer more isolation than they provide. I like to listen to my iems at about 30-40% straight out of my phone, that's enough volume for me.

I use extra large earphones plus tips with a home made o ring, for further random information.

Are you using the stock cable, and if so, have you tried removing the earguides? My experience was that the stock cables earguides tended to pull the Blons out of my ears, breaking the seal and making the fit uncomfortable. Removing them and/or switching to a different cable made it easier to get a somewhat deeper fit with the blons (using Final E tips). They aren't the most isolating IEMs regardless, but they work well in this setup and sit very flush with my ear.

Dec 12, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #1,717 of 6,129
Are you using the stock cable, and if so, have you tried removing the earguides? My experience was that the stock cables earguides tended to pull the Blons out of my ears, breaking the seal and making the fit uncomfortable. Removing them and/or switching to a different cable made it easier to get a somewhat deeper fit with the blons (using Final E tips). They aren't the most isolating IEMs regardless, but they work well in this setup and sit very flush with my ear.
I don't mind the stock cable, it fits me well normally. But is a bit thin and tangly.

I was using them at the time so I don't break the pins into the phones. I usually use a **** 8 core copper cable with no ear guides. But am wary of breaking the pins. I was using them as 1 of my 3 bedphones, and sleep on my side. Am I weird having at least three iems by my bedside?

Sometimes the fit isn't great as I have cavernous ear holes. I often find a large tip isn't large enough, with most of my iems and have an extra large normal or a large wide bore tip, depending on mood.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #1,718 of 6,129
I don't mind the stock cable, it fits me well normally. But is a bit thin and tangly.

I was using them at the time so I don't break the pins into the phones. I usually use a **** 8 core copper cable with no ear guides. But am wary of breaking the pins. I was using them as 1 of my 3 bedphones, and sleep on my side. Am I weird having at least three iems by my bedside?

Sometimes the fit isn't great as I have cavernous ear holes. I often find a large tip isn't large enough, with most of my iems and have an extra large normal or a large wide bore tip, depending on mood.

Are you talking about breaking the pins off of the 2-pin plugs?

I guess it’s possible, but I can’t imagine how much abuse it would take to flat out break them off. I guess maybe in a car or motorcycle crash or something like that.

Dec 12, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #1,719 of 6,129
I was using them at the time so I don't break the pins into the phones. I usually use a **** 8 core copper cable with no ear guides. But am wary of breaking the pins. Sometimes the fit isn't great as I have cavernous ear holes.

It's possible the pin-breaking concern is overstated. I recently got a pair of Empire Ears universals (the cheapest model and with a 20% discount, which is still painfully expensive IMO) and they have flush connections with the pins visibly exposed, which is hilarious. Then again, and especially if you wear them while sleeping, I can see where it would be easy for them to experience misadventures and potentially get sheared off.

Dec 12, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #1,720 of 6,129
Bonus hilarity: the supplied cable, which is a fancy Effect Audio upgrade one, failed after three days of use. (But not at the pins; my guess is that it was the solder between the cable and the connector.)

Dec 12, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #1,721 of 6,129
Are you talking about breaking the pins off of the 2-pin plugs?

I guess it’s possible, but I can’t imagine how much abuse it would take to flat out break them off. I guess maybe in a car or motorcycle crash or something like that.
I broke a pair of kz zsr by snapping a pin off inside the iem, with another cable. They were thrown in a case in a bag. I had a fair bit of warning to be fair, as the pins were bent at least 3 times, so I can't point any fingers at anyone but myself. And it's not like I don't own any more kz earphones. Hehehe. Just a quick heads up for anyone as daft as me. I don't want anyone breaking their precious blons. I would be upset if I broke mine.

Dec 12, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #1,722 of 6,129
Bonus hilarity: the supplied cable, which is a fancy Effect Audio upgrade one, failed after three days of use. (But not at the pins; my guess is that it was the solder between the cable and the connector.)
Wow that breaks my record of cheapie thow in kz cables and a banned seller cable going hard and horrible after three months. One advantage of tpe coated cables at least, they never go hard.

Dec 12, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #1,723 of 6,129
Wow that breaks my record of cheapie thow in kz cables and a banned seller cable going hard and horrible after three months. One advantage of tpe coated cables at least, they never go hard.

Heh. Of course nobody has perfect QC, so I don't want to imply that Effect Audio doesn't make good cables. And I'm sure Empire Ears customer service will respond appropriately.

But it is funny. (The cable also does not have great ergonomics, FWIW. Pretty as heck though.)

Dec 12, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #1,724 of 6,129
I broke a pair of kz zsr by snapping a pin off inside the iem, with another cable. They were thrown in a case in a bag. I had a fair bit of warning to be fair, as the pins were bent at least 3 times, so I can't point any fingers at anyone but myself. And it's not like I don't own any more kz earphones. Hehehe. Just a quick heads up for anyone as daft as me. I don't want anyone breaking their precious blons. I would be upset if I broke mine.

You need a better/stronger earphone case to protect your gear, my friend. You can get them as cheap as $1 or less.

It’s even possible to make your own. My Blons are currently stored in a recycled metal hard candy tin that I lined with a scrap piece of adhesive-backed velour. I honestly bought the candy just for the tin, because it was a very roomy tin (3” diameter).

E56DA170-C1E0-415E-9B40-514CCB9252EA.jpeg
934D34C0-E742-4CC0-95AF-638920B9D3D1.jpeg
A182575A-2816-4746-A7D1-1632182506A2.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #1,725 of 6,129
Overall, an amazing purchase!! It's too good that I'm now ordering my second pair through Amazon as a back up.

Welcome to the club. If u like the BL-03's sound, instead of getting another BL-03, why not consider getting a BLON Cardinal/Bluejay? It is a bigger brother of the BL-03 with similar tuning/sound signature but more subbass (u seem to be a basshead from your post). It also has better technicalities (resolution/instrument separation/details/clarity) and better isolation/fit/soundstage.

What tips have you tried for the BL-03? The BL-03 bass is one level shy of basshead levels IMHO, so if u are getting bass anaemic sound, it is very likely due to a poor seal/tip fit, or as @kukkurovaca said it may be the stock cable earguides being too stiff and yanking the IEM out of the ear. Most people have problems with the stock tips, and a lesser majority have issues with the stock cable, so if it is a stock cable issue, just swap cables or cut off the plastic ear guides.

Tips wise, if u tried the o ring spacer mod already, then maybe consider longer nozzle eartips like spinfit CP 100/145 or KZ starlines. This cannot be emphasized more, but eartips are the ones that can make or break an IEM, not only in terms of isolation/comfort, but also in affecting the sound signature and FR for better or worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back