BLON BL-30 Review, impressions and discussion thread
Jan 2, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #137 of 295
What’s the story with these cans??

Once upon a time there was a homeless 70 mm driver...

How do they sound on tubes or when plugged into a balanced amp

On my tube hybrid 2.1 W unbalanced xDuoo TA-01B with an Electro-Harmonix 12AU7 EH they are sounding great playing Church of the Cosmic Skull whose albums are available on Bandcamp and music and videos on YouTube.
Despite the 150 Ω nominal impedance, these are not difficult to drive and don't seem to need enormous power like a big planar.

I've not yet tried them on my balanced E1DA PowerDAC V2 because I do not yet have a 2.5 mm TRRS to 2 x 2.5 mm TRS cable, but I sent a request to someone who has made cables for me before and told him that I would share the results.

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #138 of 295
My unit finally arrived as well.
No customs, no problems, i'm happy with that.
I did, however, experience the same size issue some other owners experienced as well, i'm going to try and bend the headband to see if it helps, as of now, it just about "rides" on my ears, its weird, but it doesn't seem to be any different sound-wyse if i press it against my ears.
The sound signature is, unexpected, it seems to be right at my alley, i like it out of the box, but i wanna listen them for a few hours more to come with a conclusion.
PS: Bending the headband made me achieve a proper fit!
To bend outwards in the middle and inwards on the cups.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #139 of 295
My unit finally arrived as well.
No customs, no problems, i'm happy with that.
I did, however, experience the same size issue some other owners experienced as well, i'm going to try and bend the headband to see if it helps, as of now, it just about "rides" on my ears, its weird, but it doesn't seem to be any different sound-wyse if i press it against my ears.
The sound signature is, unexpected, it seems to be right at my alley, i like it out of the box, but i wanna listen them for a few hours more to come with a conclusion.
PS: Bending the headband made me achieve a proper fit!
To bend outwards in the middle and inwards on the
With my tube buffer they don't sound much better than straight into my Atom amp. Soundstage might actually be wider with the solid state.
I'm giving mine to goodwill. Nevermind the fit issue ( which is. Easily fixed) sound quality wise there are countless $100 and less headphones that sound better. Apples and oranges but why would I listen to this, when I could have a much more pleasurable experience with the bl-03 or any other of my headphones?

Jan 4, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #140 of 295
I'm giving mine to goodwill. Nevermind the fit issue ( which is. Easily fixed) sound quality wise there are countless $100 and less headphones that sound better. Apples and oranges but why would I listen to this, when I could have a much more pleasurable experience with the bl-03 or any other of my headphones?
Where is the soundstage? I think my hd6xx is wider.. Good sub bass rumble but undetaled. Generally very good mid range but I'm getting distortion quite often. I don't think trble is too rolled off. That being said, Where is the detail and separation for the entire range? Congested mess. These would sound great to the average consumer but I own better cheap audio options.

Jan 4, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #141 of 295

Ill pay shipping to me. :) Trade you a Porta Pro?

I agree with your observations. I kind of ruined mine with modding to get it to sound acceptable (still doesnt). Need a fresh set to try moddding again.

Jan 4, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #144 of 295
Understandable. I wouldnt want to deal with shipping either unless there was something in it for me. The BL30 is basically $115 down the drain unless youre a mod god. But, then there is comfort issues that cannot be fixed.
After a bit of bending I got a good seal. The pads were fine for me but I don't wear headphones for hours. I'm just being lazy after the holidays and trying to stay in more until I get vaccinated. Your offer of a porta pro was generous considering they sound better than the bl-30's. Lol

Jan 4, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #145 of 295
After a bit of bending I got a good seal. The pads were fine for me but I don't wear headphones for hours. I'm just being lazy after the holidays and trying to stay in more until I get vaccinated. Your offer of a porta pro was generous considering they sound better than the bl-30's. Lol

Porta Pro is legend. BL30 is ****ing crap.

I bended and modded with minimal regard to not breaking these headphones. Sure, you can get a seal but its still uncomfortable. I have another headband I was going to switch out with though. If I didnt have avaialable another headband - I would have skipped trying to mod at all.

Let me know if you change your mind. Thanks

Jan 4, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #147 of 295
Yeah, so unfortunate that the fit is such an issue, had Blon focused a little more effort on that and it would be a completely different experience.
Imho, i really like the sound signature, it really isn't for everyone, commenting on how they feel and sound on my local community has scared away a lot of people from them, but i'll keep my pair, now properly bent to shape to fit my basket ball.
But that's just my 2 bucks on it, i'm not as well seasoned as some of you guys, but i also think you can do a lot worse for the money, or even spending more (B20s for example, i prefer the sound of these over those any day).

Jan 4, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #148 of 295
Also, anybody got theirs smelling like primer?
Mine had a slight paint/primer smell for the first few hours lol

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #150 of 295
BLON BL-30 (1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back