BLON BL-30 Review, impressions and discussion thread
Dec 27, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #123 of 295
If I did not know better I'd think that is a planar headphone measurement. Very linear from mids to well extended subbass with a weird suckout after 1khz.

I agree. That’s a planar graph if I’ve ever seen one.

Dec 27, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #124 of 295
Can someone please measure the distance between the earcup yokes?

In other words, what width yokes would be required to fit the Blon cups properly.

Thanks!!

Note: The following is just an example of a different headphone. But I’m looking for the same measurement, only of the Blon headband yokes.

At least 10 cm or 4 1/4 in or more

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #125 of 295
Guess who finally received their replacement! I also definitely received the apparent second revision that was made after initial complaints. I actually got a cable with it this time too! Pretty darn nice cable that comes with these. My pads are removable unlike the first pair I received, and it seems as though the headband is smaller. In which case sure would explain a LOT of things lol. Example, on the first version I only had to move the headband 4 steps on each side to fit, on this one I have to move each side up 8 steps. very odd. Thankfully the all metal headband is incredibly durable and can be bent so these headphones can actually clamp and have a good angle instead of just dangling off the top of my ears.
The pads on this, while thankfully removable, are SIGNIFICANTLY better velour material than the pads on the first revision. I could actually wear the headphones like this. These headphones beg for pad-swapping though, so I won't be doing that.

Surprisingly easy to power, but that's probably the 110db sensitivity. My amp is at the same volume level it is for my KPH30i's, if that means anything.

VERY initial sound impression; talking 15 minutes and a quick spotify session immediately after opening the package and messing with the fit.

Bass is very good, Mids are odd. Weird upper midrange scoop out? Treble is also kinda odd. These have decent clarity, but there is a haziness somewhere that makes it not very airy, and then the sibilance region is SO close to being over-done. It's not bad, but I've seen someone call these "hollow" sounding, which certainly can be the case on a good amount of tracks so far. Not too bad tho.

Soundstage seems pretty massive, but it's a bit 3 Blob-y like the Sennheiser HD6XX series of headphones. Because of this, imaging seems just alright to me. Maybe different pads can alleviate some of the issues, we'll see! These aren't BAD sounding by any means. They're dynamic, relatively well detailed, and soundstage pretty alright. the FR just needs some love.

Dec 30, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #126 of 295
Weird upper midrange scoop out?

My ears hear the same thing on mine. Playing a frequency sweep at low but easily audible volume, the sound cuts out then comes back later somewhere around 2.5 - 5 kHz [going by memory, so expect an update later]. It also peaks hard around 10 kHz before going steady to the end of my hearing around 15 kHz.

They're dynamic, relatively well detailed, and soundstage pretty alright. the FR just needs some love.

EQ is definitely needed to make these good for all-round listening. My first pass at manual tweaking made a significant improvement, but I'm hoping for some good measurements of the actual shipped product with clearly identified correction(s) and curve(s). Of course even then we have the same problem as with all frequently modified headphones, but that will give us the basis from which to evaluate the sound impact of our mods.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #127 of 295
Linsoul had $98 sale so I opted for $15shipping speed. Ordered Sunday, here today.

97B526EF-B346-41DC-8829-8E7AD7F8D71E.jpeg
3C5954BB-40C0-4AA1-839F-B53425EDD8EE.jpeg

Dec 30, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #128 of 295
aaa
Found a frequency reponse graph for these on taobao

Just took my own mehsurements and they indeed look similar to this. ^oo^ Haven't tried personally yet.

Edit: Ugh. Tried to put these on and they don't fit well as described by others. Currently trying to bend the headband.

Edit2: Bending headband with hands works out enough. Large but shallow pads dont contour face well so obtaining seal might be issue for some. Angled pads would be nice. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #133 of 295
Just placed an order on the ZMF Universal pads, the Perforated Suede ones. The idea is to try and lift the treble that is hiding from my ears lol. Feels kinda odd to pay $70 on pads for a $110 pair of headphones, but I've got a good feeling that the results will be worth it. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back