BLON BL-30 Review, impressions and discussion thread
Dec 25, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #91 of 295
Perhaps they’ve never met a person with an adult sized head?
Either way...would be nice if they mentioned this somewhere in the product description like fx ‘btw mainly fits children’s heads, supermodels, deer and folks named Slim..’
I think these new Chinese manufacturers just don't think about the size difference between average asian and other people. Take something like sivga Phoenix for example. I'm smaller than average european male and it barely fits me. Companies that have longer experience making products for western market have taken that better into consideration.

Dec 25, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #92 of 295
Honestly I was thinking of filling in the space between rod and the washer on one side to force them to point inwards cause its that swivel point where its just flopping.

If you do any it works take some pictures, I'm trying to figure out what you're saying and how it would work and it's not clicking in my head for some reason but I'd love a good solution, thanks!

Dec 25, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #93 of 295
Good news! We're all going to die The pads are removable from the 110 mm mounting plate!
PXL_20201225_184606962.jpg

PXL_20201225_191552719.jpg

More photos showing the stock pads compared to the Brainwavz Round XL Gel in the album.

Dec 25, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #95 of 295
I was successfully able to remove my stock pads as well in a non-destructive manner. I'm wondering if early production units had the glued-on pads and later ones don't, I didn't detect any adhesive while removing the pads.

I transplanted my Brainwavs XL Microsuede from my JVC SZ2000s to these and they fit well into the groove. Between the larger pads and removing the headband cover I can almost get the bottom of the cups to seal, though there's still a gap. I'm thinking these may end up needing a headband transplant, though I'm not sure if any of the common aftermarket options would fit.

Even without the seal these continue to impress with the head-rattling amount of bass they can pump out. These will take a +12db bass shelf below 80hz and not even begin to complain. They really stack up well with planars with how deep the bass goes and how well they take to bass EQ.

The midrange and treble are more problematic, I've tried a broad +4db EQ hump from 1khz-3.5khz to try to bring the midrange into something that's not muffled and distant, and it helps, but I'm thinking more precision will be called for. Hopefully someone who owns some measurement gear will manage to get a pair of these and be able to produce a response graph that can be worked from.

Dec 25, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #96 of 295
If you do any it works take some pictures, I'm trying to figure out what you're saying and how it would work and it's not clicking in my head for some reason but I'd love a good solution, thanks!
Here is what I mean, see how they allowed to cant away from rod axis, my logic is if you fill in the space that allows for that to happen it would force them to cant inwards towards your head, creating actual clamp force. Its just about finding a way to do that.
axis added.jpg

Dec 25, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #97 of 295
Here is what I mean, see how they allowed to cant away from rod axis, my logic is if you fill in the space that allows for that to happen it would force them to cant inwards towards your head, creating actual clamp force. Its just about finding a way to do that.
axis added.jpg

I was playing around with them and I can't figure out how that would work with the flange. The problem to me seems to be that the yoke hits the flange which prevents it from pivoting beyond the flange and allowing the bottom of the cup to swing around towards the face. Putting anything between the flange and the yoke would just exacerbate the issue.

Aside from replacing the headband with something larger or that would have larger yokes that would allow full 360 rotation of the cups along that yoke axis the only other 'fix' I can think of is getting some angled pads and putting the fat part at the bottom of the cup.

Dekoni makes aftermarket Audeze pads that look like they'd have enough thickness, but the problem is the Audeze mounting system is adhesive based, so I don't know if those pads have a flange to allow mounting to headphones that use a flange system. The Dekoni TH-900 pads may also work, but they don't seem to have as fat a fat side as the Audeze pads.

Dec 25, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #98 of 295
Pads swapped easily.

Unsurprisingly I experienced the same as @lycantivis and others with the headband, except maybe a bit worse since my head is extra large - possibly jumbo. After removing the pad, I used hands and knee to effectively flatten most of the band which started significantly arched. After bending the ends by hand as much as I safely could, it became clear that I would end up weakening or breaking where the headband connects to the joint, so I resorted to a wrench, pliers and some paper kitchen towel.
Even after several rounds of bending and fitting, I doubt that there is enough headband to make the pads press evenly to my head, however it is good enough for now and as a bonus, the pad fits better.

An Audeze LCD Carbon Fiber Headband would probably fit nicely.

PXL_20201225_231318895.jpg

PXL_20201225_232544559.jpg

PXL_20201225_232553117.jpg

PXL_20201225_233204463.jpg

I tightened all eight hex bolts. The ones at the cup ends of the poles were especially loose.
PXL_20201225_233724005.jpg

Pictured next to my Thieaudio Phantom connected to the E1Da PowerDAC V2 mounted on ROCCAT Modulok stands, the BL-30 is powered by the xDuoo TA-01B 2.1 Watt single-ended tube hybrid DAC/amp.

It's not there as I type because it's on my head playing Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch's "Blade Runner 2049" soundtrack through PulseEffects with Bass Enhancer. I wanted it big and expected the bass, and the BL-30 has not disappointed. I saw this movie in a Dolby Theater and this reminds me of that experience.

Attachments

• PXL_20201225_232544559.jpg
    PXL_20201225_232544559.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Dec 25, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #100 of 295
do not fit people with large heads
Hmm, that makes me slightly concerned, my head is not too large (i don't know what my hat size is), but i have had issues fitting some headphones in the past, HyperX Cloud for example.
Well, guess i'll wait and see.
Omg, this pattern is gorgeous!

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #105 of 295
Can someone please measure the distance between the earcup yokes?

In other words, what width yokes would be required to fit the Blon cups properly.

Thanks!!

Note: The following is just an example of a different headphone. But I’m looking for the same measurement, only of the Blon headband yokes.

ECD603C3-5800-4590-9442-24B361B93C98.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back