BLON BL-30 Review, impressions and discussion thread
Dec 23, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #76 of 295
They probably sitting in Edison NJ,check the tracking # with USPS tracking from time to time to see when the USPS get them in the system

Close enough. They were in AVENEL, NJ but are now at the Post Office down the road, ready to be delivered tomorrow.
Interestingly there was no update between "Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item" in AVENEL, NJ on 16 Dec 2020 and arriving at my local Post Office today.

Dec 24, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #78 of 295
On sale for $98.10 on Linsoul.

This thread quickly turned into a shipping update thread.

Here's you daily shipping news update: it arrived.
LOZCock.jpg

Photos charting the journey from the rain-soaked package on my doorstep to the towel-wrapped start of the burn-in are in the album.
Don't worry, the package was a sealed plastic bag and the towel is only to keep the blasting FM radio noise from discerning ears.

First impressions: I concur with the reviewers: it's solid, has some weight and the headband and pad don't seem high quality. The two 3.5 mm TRS jacks click-click very firmly into their sockets in the cups. The 3.5 mm TRS jack has the spacer which makes the ¼″ adapter leave a small gap. The velour pads feel worse than the ones I removed from both my Sennheiser HD 439s (replaced with the super-comfy big soft $9.99 Monoprice Velour and Protein Leather pads), so I expect I'll be trying to replace them with my Brainwavz XL Gel pads while shopping on AliExpress for some big fat angled (p)leather pads.

If you're planning to visit to listen, then you'll need to make an appointment.

Dec 24, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #79 of 295
On sale for $98.10 on Linsoul.

Here's you daily shipping news update: it arrived.
LOZCock.jpg

Photos charting the journey from the rain-soaked package on my doorstep to the towel-wrapped start of the burn-in are in the album.
Don't worry, the package was a sealed plastic bag and the towel is only to keep the blasting FM radio noise from discerning ears.

First impressions: I concur with the reviewers: it's solid, has some weight and the headband and pad don't seem high quality. The two 3.5 mm TRS jacks click-click very firmly into their sockets in the cups. The 3.5 mm TRS jack has the spacer which makes the ¼″ adapter leave a small gap. The velour pads feel worse than the ones I removed from both my Sennheiser HD 439s (replaced with the super-comfy big soft $9.99 Monoprice Velour and Protein Leather pads), so I expect I'll be trying to replace them with my Brainwavz XL Gel pads while shopping on AliExpress for some big fat angled (p)leather pads.

If you're planning to visit to listen, then you'll need to make an appointment.
Oh hey, yours arrived with a cable! incredible.

Are your pads easily removable? I've seen some more recent reports of pads not being taped down as we all had previously thought.

Dec 24, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #80 of 295
Close enough. They were in AVENEL, NJ but are now at the Post Office down the road, ready to be delivered tomorrow.
Interestingly there was no update between "Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item" in AVENEL, NJ on 16 Dec 2020 and arriving at my local Post Office today.
Mine sitting in Avenel too,hopefully I'll have them before the New Year,That why I always check the tracking number with USPS because when it get to the US the USPS in Avenel is a joke.

Dec 24, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #81 of 295
Are your pads easily removable?

I don't yet know, as I plan to burn in until some time tomorrow, but heard the same about their removal as you did. I'm not too concerned about destroying the stock pads and bought this headphone with the expectation of making modifications.

To preempt anyone asking if these specific headphones need burn-in or starting the same debate for the bazillionth time, I burn in all my headphones as a matter of course after discovering the (not psychological) difference it made to one of my fist good headphones - the Sennheiser HD 555.

Dec 24, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #82 of 295
If you plan to change earpads, there are several things you need to know: first, the original earpads are glued into place, you will have to rip out the plastic flanges on the back of the earpads and a whole lot of the glue will remain making attaching the new earpads a challenge -- good luck in not destroying the original earpads in the process. For the replacement earpads I ended up sticking the flanges on the outside of cups and that worked well; second, when you remove the original earpads you will see three small allen screws, do not remove these, they do not attach the front plate-guard to the rear, I have no idea what they do, but they seem to be held on with a nut or grommet that will fall into the bottom of the cup; third, I replaced the earpads with the one recommended by BGGR, these are velour and 30mm deep, they significantly lowered the quality of the sound, reducing the tight and detailed bass (the whole point of owning these headphones). In short, these headphones were not designed to easily replace the earpads, but the original earpads are unpleasant enough that they need to be replaced; if any of you know of a good pair of 110mm earpads, that will retain bass performance, I'd love to hear about them.

Dec 24, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #83 of 295
Thanks for the useful advice on the pads.

While I have high expectations of the bass capability of the BL-30, I don't expect the enormous driver size - double the size of a 50 mm - to translate directly into precision bass cannoning: an experience common to subwoofers. I'm hoping for a big, warm sound and want pads which provide a complimentary comfort without compromising the sound. I strongly suspect that the stock pads are a budget rather than an optimal performance choice, despite the strange anti-consumer mounting choice.

I replaced the earpads with the one recommended by BGGR, these are velour and 30mm deep, they significantly lowered the quality of the sound, reducing the tight and detailed bass

Generally pads with materials which form the best seal between the driver and head transmit the most bass, so (p)leather is the usual choice, with (micro)suede offering similar acoustic characteristics with a different feel. Sometimes these can create a claustrophobic or "echo chamber" sound and perforations inside the pads can help. A hybrid (p)leather pad with velour on the head side can provide a good mix of maintaining bass while having a more breathable material on the skin.
A deep velour pad is going to leak a lot of bass.

if any of you know of a good pair of 110mm earpads, that will retain bass performance, I'd love to hear about them.

My Monoprice Monolith M1060C* and Modern Retro both take 110 mm pads and I've tried most of the Brainwavz Round XL pads on both, settling on the insanely comfy XL Gel on the Modern Retro and returning to the deep soft stock pleather pads (like these) on the M1060C. Now if Brainwavz took the suggestion of an angled Round XL, then I wouldn't be shopping on AliExpress or looking at discounts for the deeeep and aaaangled (18 - 44 mm) Dekoni Audio Choice Suede.

FWIW, I've not yet measured the BL-30 so am taking the 110 mm as sufficiently accurate. Pads typically have a tolerance of a few mm. When shopping for 110 mm pads it can be useful to look for ones advertised to fit the Audeze LCD series.

Then there's that headband pad...

*[For sale]

Dec 24, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #85 of 295
I’ve been playing around with these some more. The comfort issue with the stock pads is still a major issue for me. The pad material itself isn’t bad, but they’re so shallow and the headband on these so small and the swing range of the gimbals so limited by the large metal flange that I just can’t get a proper seal. The top of the pads are fine, the bottom and sides of the pads sit away from my head.

I did improve the fit and comfort by removing the heather headband cover which allows the cups to sit more flush against my ears, though still not perfect (and the bare metal headband may be a dealbreaker for bald folks).

These really need some larger deeper pads. I plan on trying the Brainwavs XL microsuede. I had great luck with those on my JVC HA-SZ2000.

Speaking of the SZ2000, these are just as much of bass monsters with the proper EQ. The stock sound signature on these reminded me a bit of the LCD-X, so I tried my LCD-X EQ profile and it mostly works, these aren’t at the same level overall of course, but the bass slams incredibly hard and that EQ profile brings up the midrange nicely. I threw all of my bass torture test tracks at these and they aced them, even without getting a proper seal

These have me contemplating picking up some Sony MDR-Z1Rs. There’s something special about 70mm drivers, and I’m tempted to try some in a headphone that takes comfort and fit into the equation.

Dec 25, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #88 of 295
Perhaps they’ve never met a person with an adult sized head?
Either way...would be nice if they mentioned this somewhere in the product description like fx ‘btw mainly fits children’s heads, supermodels, deer and folks named Slim..’

Dec 25, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #89 of 295
Got mine today and warning these do not fit people with large heads. For reference I wear a fitted hat size 8. Here is a picture how the "seal" on me...20201224_190200.jpg

Exactly the same issue I'm having. I think it's a combination of the headband being too small and the gimbal being too small or the flange too large that's keeping them from properly swinging to make full contact.

I'm hoping larger pads will help the issue but I'm not 100% sure since it's an angle issue as well.

The bass is still surprisingly strong even without a seal with a little bit (or a lot) of EQ, but the comfort leaves quite a bit to be desired with the way they fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back