BitPerfect (was: Audirvana Alternatives)
Feb 13, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #571 of 801
Just bought this app to use with an Audioengine DAC on my Mac. Is there a way I can control the volume level of songs playing using the media keys on my Mac keyboard?

Currently I have to use the volume control know on my Audioengine Dac.

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #572 of 801

Quote:
Just bought this app to use with an Audioengine DAC on my Mac. Is there a way I can control the volume level of songs playing using the media keys on my Mac keyboard?

Currently I have to use the volume control know on my Audioengine Dac.

If the volume slider in BitPerfect's menu is disabled then the control keys won't work, that's because some DACs do not present a hardware control to the software.

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #573 of 801
Tim--

I, too, have a Audioengine D1 DAC, and while it does fine with Integer Mode, it doesn't seem to allow Bitperfect to output 24 bits. High-rez tracks read 16/96 instead of 24/96. When the DAC isn't connected, Bitperfect pads everything to 24 bits, even ordinary redbook files.

Can you help?

Thanks,
Alex

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #574 of 801

Quote:
Tim--

I, too, have a Audioengine D1 DAC, and while it does fine with Integer Mode, it doesn't seem to allow Bitperfect to output 24 bits. High-rez tracks read 16/96 instead of 24/96. When the DAC isn't connected, Bitperfect pads everything to 24 bits, even ordinary redbook files.

Can you help?

Thanks,
Alex

Alex, e-mail me the output of Device Information while it is playing in Integer Mode, from there I'll know if this is a bug or not.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #575 of 801
I haven't read all the posts, so please do understand.
I was wondering how BitPerfect compares to Audirvana Plus.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #576 of 801
Folks, not sure if that helps but I have been doing a lot of testing with BP 1.01 and I must say, great piece of code. I think I nailed the problem with jumps but I need more validation from other folks. Jumps at the begining of the songs for 1 sec or so only happens with files that XLD touched, not sure if it has something to do with gap/pre-gap marks but every song that XLD touched (ripped or converted) do jump on the first second when track changes but anything that was ripped with Max 0.9.2 does not exhibit that both with buffer options on and off. I might be completly wrong but this is a bit of observation with 20 or so albums. Interestingly, song jumps with ALAC and AIFF that XLD produces, same files but from Max are just perfect. They may not be as accurately converted as with XLD (I cannot hear it though) but at least they do not jump. BTW, those XLD-produced files play fine without BP just in iTunes. Let me know. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #578 of 801
My setup is working very nicely now.
Mac Mini -> Arcam rDac
My problems seemed to be related to my choosing to up-sample 44kHz redbook files.
I'm just letting everything play natively, no up sampling, at 24bit fixed.
Happy Camper again
Cheers

Feb 21, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #579 of 801
A new version, 1.0.2 has been released. It makes changes the automatic bit depth selection to match the source material when appropriate as well as fixing a couple of bugs.

- Fix BitPerfect not handing control to iTunes for unsupported media (eg: radio)
- Correctly interpret Sound Check info from other sources (iVolume for instance)
- Do not play unselected files in playlists

Feb 26, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #581 of 801
Hi there,
yesterday I bought BitPerfect and I like it VERY much!! Very great code!! I used PureMusic to date but didn´t like the behaviour to AppleRemote/iPad2 and some other things.

I´m using a MC816/Lion MacMini connected to a modified ASUS Essence One DAC connected via Transparent MusicLink Super XLR Cable to an Accuphase E308. The XLR connection is the problem since the phase is inverted in my chain (ASUS vs. Accuphase). One way would be to resolder the cable, but I don´t like to resolder a 1500$ cable where Transparent has imposed their hands on :wink:.

PureMusic had an option to invert the phase, I learned that BitPerfect can do the same when the sound files are tagged with "invertpolarity" in the comments field. Now really inverted tracks had to be tagged as noninverted.

Would be nice to get an option button to generally invert the phase in the Preferences/General tab to manually invert the output for the used chain/output device, not only for the tracks with the tag.
Since BitPerfect has the capability to invert the phase by the tag from the file this should be easy to implement. Just invert the programs internal flag with the option button, so even inverted tagged files are inverted "twice" as they should.

I know that many chains have the problem with inverted phase using XLR since some vendors choose this pinout, others the other.

Regardless of that, great piece of software!!
Roland.

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #583 of 801
I'm enjoying the latest version; works well, stays out of the way of the iTunes interface, and sounds great.

One question; if I change BitPerfect's preferences (particularly the 'Minimize iTunes Interaction' checkbox) while a track is playing, does the change take effect immediately, or would it take effect after quitting and relaunching?

The reason I ask is, I don't really hear a difference when toggling this feature on and off, but with it on, I get some lag when using Apple's Remote on my iPad 2.  (I know it's mentioned in the manual that this can happen; the time counter won't keep up, etc.)  

If I have the box unchecked, though, while I'm listening I can check the box on the fly, and the remote app will work fine; I'm just wondering if I'm actually effecting a change right then, or on the next relaunch.

Thanks for the time you've put into this; no need to spend big $$$ for a Mac music player!

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #585 of 801

Quote:
I'm enjoying the latest version; works well, stays out of the way of the iTunes interface, and sounds great.

One question; if I change BitPerfect's preferences (particularly the 'Minimize iTunes Interaction' checkbox) while a track is playing, does the change take effect immediately, or would it take effect after quitting and relaunching?

The reason I ask is, I don't really hear a difference when toggling this feature on and off, but with it on, I get some lag when using Apple's Remote on my iPad 2.  (I know it's mentioned in the manual that this can happen; the time counter won't keep up, etc.)  

If I have the box unchecked, though, while I'm listening I can check the box on the fly, and the remote app will work fine; I'm just wondering if I'm actually effecting a change right then, or on the next relaunch.

Thanks for the time you've put into this; no need to spend big $$$ for a Mac music player!

Glad you're liking it. I do need to improve the manual and BitPerfect's behaviour with respect to changing options and when they take effect. In this case, the option is not on the fly, you'd need to disable then enable BitPerfect, or quit and start it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back