BitPerfect (was: Audirvana Alternatives)
Aug 29, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #391 of 801

Quote:
Just purchased BitPerfect. It seems to be working but I'm hearing some popping sounds with settings at default. I have SL and a Core 2 Duo (which I believe defaults to 32bit on boot). Device details below:

Edit: Disabling Integer Mode seems to have fixed it. What exactly does that option do?

You can also try disabling "Use Maximum Device Buffer Size". Integer Mode allows you to transfer data to the DAC in its native format, this can improve sound quality by bypassing format conversions that aren't needed.

Aug 29, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #392 of 801
Have enabled "Integer Mode" again and disabled "Use Maximum Device Buffer Size" but the popping has returned. 24/96 files were stuttering initially but disabling "Use Maximum Device Buffer Size" seems to have fixed it.

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #393 of 801
Would like to get Integer Mode working (not sure if I'd perceive the improvement), but even without it it's apparent this little app does a **** good job. Even with the HD650, the improvements are noticeable. It's a tad more resolving and more coherent. Something's happened with how details are layered and imaging seems more natural. I like it. A lot.

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #394 of 801

Quote:
Probably.  This is apparently a bug in the Mac USB audio driver - every 17,684 frames, it sends a null value instead of the "right" one.  If you're listening to 44.1k music, the tick occurs about 2.5 x sec - if listening to higher bitrates, the tick happens faster.  Only causes a problem in "raw" / integer mode, and only on certain hardware combinations (e.g., older Macs talking to USB-powered DACs).  Workaround is not to use integer mode *or* to insert a powered USB hub between the Mac and the DAC (which is what I do).  I decided to use the powered hub because I think I can hear the difference between "float" and integer mode and putting the hub in there eliminates the ticking *and* keeps the integer "goodness"  :wink:

My understanding is the bug has been reported to Apple.

This was posted a few weeks ago about the popping issue with Integer Mode enabled. Quoting for reference.

Edit: I do have an older MacBook (2,1), but my dac is not USB powered. Hopefully this can be addressed.

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #396 of 801
+1 Use it with both a Hegel DAC (TOS-link) and a Burson HA-160D (USB). Use the 88.2 upscaling on the Hegel DAC. It sound fantastic. BitPerfect app is a keeper. :)

Quote:
Would like to get Integer Mode working (not sure if I'd perceive the improvement), but even without it it's apparent this little app does a **** good job. Even with the HD650, the improvements are noticeable. It's a tad more resolving and more coherent. Something's happened with how details are layered and imaging seems more natural. I like it. A lot.

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #397 of 801
I have BitPerfect (latest version .29, I think).  A couple of things I've noticed, I don't think have been mentioned in this thread:

First of all I'm using it with a Mac Mini, with USB out to a Wyred4Sound DAC-2, then on to a Violectric V200 and then to my LCD-2s.  I've been trying different settings with BitPerfect's preferences, and it always seems to work fine, and offer an audible improvement, except when switching tracks with different sample rates on the fly.  If I try to do that, there is a tiny glitch, while the new track stutters; it's just a half of a second tick; then the track plays fine.  I've noticed no other freezes, track skips, etc., that were reported with this and some earlier versions.

One thing I've discovered about iTunes is that the newest versions (10.4.0, 10.4.1) have different settings available in Audio Midi setup, depending on which kernel the Mac is booted into.  For example, I have another iMac, which has the Intel Core 2 Duo processor, so it's capable of being booted into the 64 bit kernel.  I do not have it set up to boot that way, however.  In Audio MIdi setup, choosing the built-in output, my sample rate choices are 44.1, 48, or 96, and my bit depth choices are 16, 20, or 24.

On my Mac MIni, however, I have it set to boot into the 64 bit kernel.  With the same version of iTunes, (10.4.1) the choices in Audio Midi setup are 44.1, 48, 96, and 192.  Bit depth is fixed at 32.

When trying to determine if BitPerfect was improving the sound at all, I did the following; I first bypassed BitPerfect entirely, and in Audio Midi setup, I chose the DAC-2 as the USB output device, and set it to 192K, and the default (only choice) 32bit/2 channel.  This way, I wouldn't have to manually change sample rates for different tracks; the DAC-2 would simply upsample everything that came its way.  Things sounded pretty good with this setup.

However, when putting BitPerfect back into the chain, (with upsampling turned OFF in BitPerfect's prefs), the sound was noticeably better.  More solid bass, more transparency, and even slightly louder volume, without changing anything else.  Now the DAC-2 is getting the native sample rates of all the tracks, changing them when necessary.  Audio-MIdi setup doesn't matter any more, since BitPerfect is 'hogging' the device.  (Of course, the DAC-2 must be chosen as the output device in Audio-Midi setup).

As for the other BitPerfect prefs, I have Integer Mode turned off (since the DAC-2 doesn't support it, anyway) and I have the 'Output in Max Bit Depth'  and the 'Use Maximum Device Buffer Size' boxes both checked, although it doesn't seem to make any different in the sound whether they're checked or not.

The tiny problem of an audible tick when switching tracks on the fly is minor; I only do that to test it, anyway.  Normally, I would pause the track I'm listening to, choose the new one, and hit play.  Then, if the new track has a different sample rate, there is no glitch; it starts and plays smoothly.

So all in all, these settings are working great; with BitPerfect in the chain, there is a definite audible improvement.

One last item about iTunes; I was pretty sure older versions could only accept up to 24/96 tracks, but I've downloaded some 192/24 flac tracks from HDTracks, converted them to AIFF using Max, and when doing a Get Info on them in iTunes, the 24/192 shows up.  I haven't tried this with the 32-bit kernel iMac, though.

I hope all this might be helpful to anyone using similar gear.

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #398 of 801
New version (0.30) is out... finally!

Changes include:
  1. 32-bit Support
  2. About dialog
  3. Sound quality optimizations for complex DACs (ex: Metric Halo, Wyred4Sound)
  4. Reduce chances of skippping/stuttering while performing tasks in iTunes
  5. Allow iTunes to play DRM protected files
  6. Give iTunes control of unsupported files
  7. Queue next track as early as possible (helps with gapless playback over wireless networks)
  8. Fix not setting sample rate correctly on certain DACs (ex: Metric Halo, Wyred4Sound)
  9. Fix Integer Mode producing static on certain DACs (ex: Metric Halo, QB-9)
  10. Fix choosing correct sample rate when the unsupported rate is less than the maximum supported by the DAC
  11. Fix copy+paste shortcuts for Device Info
  12. Fix not closing windows with CMD+W

This version should fix any and all static, clicking/popping etc... problems with Integer Mode that other players don't also exhibit. It will fix most problems relating to pausing, stuttering and repeating sections of a track, usually when you're interacting with iTunes.

As always let me know if you encounter any problems!

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #399 of 801
I read most of this thread, but may have missed something... Is it only me that finds that BP makes iTunes very laggy? As in, buttons don't respond for a good few seconds, etc. I'm running a decent MBP with FLAC files put into iTunes using Fluke...

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #400 of 801

Quote:
I read most of this thread, but may have missed something... Is it only me that finds that BP makes iTunes very laggy? As in, buttons don't respond for a good few seconds, etc. I'm running a decent MBP with FLAC files put into iTunes using Fluke...

Something must be wrong.  I haven't used newest version but with 0.29, I had zero lag.  Wouldn't even know it was playing in the background.  

When I was at the my last headphone meet, I used Amarra again, and even the half second delay for tracks to start seemed annoying.  I'd never go back to that crappy software.

Sep 13, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #401 of 801
I can see the new version .30 available in the App Store, but I'm not able to update to it.  I have version .29, but when choosing 'update' at the App Store site, it tells me that all my apps are up to date.

I don't want to uninstall my current version, and then download the new one; I'm not sure if the App Store would then treat the upgrade as a new separate purchase.  I might have to pay again.  Since the update just happened today, I guess I'll wait and see if it shows that I can update it tomorrow.

Sep 13, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #402 of 801

Quote:
I can see the new version .30 available in the App Store, but I'm not able to update to it.  I have version .29, but when choosing 'update' at the App Store site, it tells me that all my apps are up to date.

I don't want to uninstall my current version, and then download the new one; I'm not sure if the App Store would then treat the upgrade as a new separate purchase.  I might have to pay again.  Since the update just happened today, I guess I'll wait and see if it shows that I can update it tomorrow.

You won't have to pay again. The way the Mac App store works, you can download the apps you've purchased as many times as you want, as long as it's on a computer that's authorized with you AppleID/app store account.

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #403 of 801

Quote:
One thing I've discovered about iTunes is that the newest versions (10.4.0, 10.4.1) have different settings available in Audio Midi setup, depending on which kernel the Mac is booted into.  For example, I have another iMac, which has the Intel Core 2 Duo processor, so it's capable of being booted into the 64 bit kernel.  I do not have it set up to boot that way, however.  In Audio MIdi setup, choosing the built-in output, my sample rate choices are 44.1, 48, or 96, and my bit depth choices are 16, 20, or 24.

On my Mac MIni, however, I have it set to boot into the 64 bit kernel.  With the same version of iTunes, (10.4.1) the choices in Audio Midi setup are 44.1, 48, 96, and 192.  Bit depth is fixed at 32.

When trying to determine if BitPerfect was improving the sound at all, I did the following; I first bypassed BitPerfect entirely, and in Audio Midi setup, I chose the DAC-2 as the USB output device, and set it to 192K, and the default (only choice) 32bit/2 channel.  This way, I wouldn't have to manually change sample rates for different tracks; the DAC-2 would simply upsample everything that came its way.  Things sounded pretty good with this setup.

Mike, Do you have the Wyred4Sound DAC-2 driver installed on the iMac that is only registering  44.1, 48, or 96, with bit depth choices 16, 20, or 24.?    The W4S DAC-2 driver is what allows the Mac's Audio Midi setup to achieve 44.1, 48, 96, and 192.  32 Bit depth.    

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #404 of 801

Quote:

When you open "APP Store" you should see a tab that says "Updates" on the top of the window.  Click it and you will see the path to update BitPerfect.

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #405 of 801

Quote:
When you open "APP Store" you should see a tab that says "Updates" on the top of the window.  Click it and you will see the path to update BitPerfect.

I think the point is that when he goes to the update tab it doesn't show up. This happens to me too. I'll be able to see any/all available updates on my iMac, but my MacBook never sees any updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back