BitPerfect (was: Audirvana Alternatives)
Aug 24, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #361 of 801
Quick note to let you know BitPerfect 0.30 will be delayed. A pretty major bug was found in beta testing so I need to fix that before it goes live. Hopefully it won't take too much longer. I'm hoping for 0.30 to be out sometime next week.

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #362 of 801
I've been using Cog, how do the two compare? I really enjoy Cog because I have a monster music library and it's just a directory based drag and drop player. I really like this, but it is annoying for playlists. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #363 of 801
BitPerfect only intercepts the audio stream. You use iTunes as normal with it.

Aug 27, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #364 of 801
I have purchase the 0.29 BitPerfect from the iTunes store. Is there a way for the end user to set the bit rate and bit length? I ask because when feeding various USB DACS BitPerfect selects and feeds as 16/48 or 24/48, I would like it to be 16/44 and 24/44 respectively. Thanks.

Aug 27, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #365 of 801
I thought BitPerfect sets the rate according to the track being played?

Aug 28, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #367 of 801
Thanks for a great app; I wish I hadn't spent the money for Pure Music a couple of months ago.  On my setup it was buggy, and didn't provide any sonic difference to my ears.  It's interface was terrible, and it didn't work smoothly using the Apple Remote app from my iPad (my Mac Mini has no screen).  So far BitPerfect does make an audible improvement, and I have had zero problems with it to date.  Also, thanks to all of those beta testers who helped get the app to this point.

One question I have; I understand it only works with a 64 bit CPU, but apparently the Mac doesn't have to be booted using the 64-bit kernel.  I have an aluminum 2010 Mac Mini that has the 64-bit CPU, but by default, it boots into the 32-bit mode.  Yet, BitPerfect works perfectly.  I know how to get the Mini to boot into the 64-bit kernel, but would there be a sonic advantage in doing so?  

For anyone else with a similar mac, there is an article on how to boot into 64 bit mode HERE.

Thanks again for all your work on this project.  It is certainly worth the $5.00 price, and more.  

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #368 of 801

Quote:
I thought BitPerfect sets the rate according to the track being played?

Quote:
It does, however DACs sometimes don't support the sample rate of the track. In those cases, BitPerfect must choose a different sample rate.

The reason I ask is that when using 16/44 files fed to various dacs that support 16/44 then BitPerfect feeds the dacs files as 24/48 which is the max the dac can accept via USB. So how can I change the output from BitPerfect to either 16/44 or to 24/44. Thanks.

Aug 28, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #369 of 801
Quote:
Thanks for a great app; I wish I hadn't spent the money for Pure Music a couple of months ago.  On my setup it was buggy, and didn't provide any sonic difference to my ears.  It's interface was terrible, and it didn't work smoothly using the Apple Remote app from my iPad (my Mac Mini has no screen).  So far BitPerfect does make an audible improvement, and I have had zero problems with it to date.  Also, thanks to all of those beta testers who helped get the app to this point.

One question I have; I understand it only works with a 64 bit CPU, but apparently the Mac doesn't have to be booted using the 64-bit kernel.  I have an aluminum 2010 Mac Mini that has the 64-bit CPU, but by default, it boots into the 32-bit mode.  Yet, BitPerfect works perfectly.  I know how to get the Mini to boot into the 64-bit kernel, but would there be a sonic advantage in doing so?  

For anyone else with a similar mac, there is an article on how to boot into 64 bit mode HERE.

Thanks again for all your work on this project.  It is certainly worth the $5.00 price, and more.  

After a bit of research, I've found out the following:  (which maybe everyone but me knows already...) restarting the 64-bit capable Mac by holding down 6 and 4 while starting up, or typing the proper command line iinformation in Terminal will cause the Mac to re rebooted using the 64-bit kernel.  This can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on what software you need to run.  Some newer programs that are 64-bit capable will speed up; older software in some cases could be incompatible.

iTunes, even the latest 10.4 version, runs as 32 bit in every OS up through Snow Leopard, but with Lion the latest version of iTunes will run as a 64 bit app.  I'm not sure if this would provide any performance gains or not, or if it would affect BitPerfect operation.  My Mini is dedicated just for iTunes, so I might try the Lion upgrade just to see how it goes.  With a good backup in place, I can always revert to what I have now.

If anyone has done this, I'd like to know if there are any performance enhancements to be had.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #370 of 801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Jacket Mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is expected, a 32-bit kernel is perfectly able to run 64-bit apps.
Some people have suggested an improvement booting in the 64-bit kernel. It is possible since the USB audio driver will be different (if not different code, it will be differently compiled.) Also the 64-bit kernel may well do some low-level stuff in a different way that we might notice.

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #371 of 801

Quote:
The reason I ask is that when using 16/44 files fed to various dacs that support 16/44 then BitPerfect feeds the dacs files as 24/48 which is the max the dac can accept via USB. So how can I change the output from BitPerfect to either 16/44 or to 24/44. Thanks.

That's odd, it shouldn't be doing that. Can you confirm using Audio MIDI Setup that the DAC does indeed support 16/44? If it does, then make sure it the upsampling option is unchecked. If it still does it after both of those checks, I'll need more debug info, specifically the output from the "Device Info" menu option.

Aug 28, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #373 of 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsim /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Beware... after upgrading to Lion there is no Integer Mode support for USB DACs.

Thanks for that; I'll wait.  I use the optical out of my Mini now to connect to my StageDAC, but I eventually planning on purchasing a Wyred For Sound DAC-2, which I would like to try with the async USB.  

I wonder if Apple will add integer mode back in 10.7.3 or 4 or 5, etc.?

By the way, I am hearing such a clear difference in the audio now by toggling BitPerfect on and off.  It's most dramatic with music featuring prominent acoustic string bass.  The best my system has sounded.

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #374 of 801
     Quote:
That's odd, it shouldn't be doing that. Can you confirm using Audio MIDI Setup that the DAC does indeed support 16/44? If it does, then make sure it the upsampling option is unchecked. If it still does it after both of those checks, I'll need more debug info, specifically the output from the "Device Info" menu option.

I have verified that both the Isabellina DAC and the HLLY SMK-DAC support 16/44 when fed via USB. Thanks.

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #375 of 801
I bought BitPerfect from the App Store last night and have been experimenting with it (Snow Leopard, iTunes 10.4.1). (edit: Also the ByteController utility for iTunes.)

Selecting an output device from the Preferences window of BitPerfect seems to have no effect. Selecting by option-clicking on the (greyed out) volume control in the menu bar works, as does selecting from Audio MIDI Setup or the Sound system prefs pane.

(An unrelated, minor request: Can the Preferences and Device Info windows remember their last positions? By default they overlap each other, so I always have to rearrange them when I want to compare my settings with what the profiler reports, or look at the preferences pane while writing in another window...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back