Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Mar 27, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #3,331 of 4,278
I'm currently looping round the intarweb searching for some C5 caps. I saw that Ferrari had some nice Audyn caps, but I am unsure where to find those in the states. The Rubycons...also not easy to find anywhere other than ebay. I'm kindof jonesin' for those.

I did run across a few interesting things at audiokit.it. They have JJ TC caps, particularly the TC-309. Specs are 350uf/385V. Electrolytic.
Also available is the Kendeil polarized electrolytic. There is a 470uf/450V.

Any guesses on these? Has anyone used them?

Thanks!

Mar 28, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #3,332 of 4,278
Just shoot me a PM, and I'll send you Rubycons - just tell me how many you need, and pay the requisite $4.95 for priority mail.

For the record, I still have about 60 of these left.

Mar 28, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #3,333 of 4,278
Just to add a little update to my progress:

I did a lot of the case work last week, but had no M4 studding/bolts to raise the boards up nice and high to stick out the case. So, I went with my grandad to the local hardware shop and bought the longest (50mm) M4 bolts there. Alas, they were not long enough! So i have put in an order at RS for a whole load of M4 studding and assorted M4 goodies (at a depressingly lower price than the brink 'n' mortar place...). Hopefully, I should get it Monday, probably Tuesday. Then I will be able to stick in it the case, sort out the holes on the top, wire it up and stick on on my desktop!!!

Then wait for LCDuino to be released to I can have remote control volume
L3000.gif

Then, probably when placing the Mouser LCDuino order, I will see if I can add any resistors/caps to my order to do the regal mod/other cap upgrades.

So basically, damn the lack of availabilty of M4!

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #3,335 of 4,278
^ Great to hear it! :wink:

Apr 3, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #3,336 of 4,278
Looking forward to this build, but Im having trouble finding some parts. Can I use Irf820a or irf820 instead of irf820b? Is there any eqvivalents for nte5013t?

Apr 3, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #3,337 of 4,278
Another update... It has been a while since I made any progress. But I have just done the wiring. I still have to:
- Fix up proper connection to star ground.
- Slot the holes in the bottom of the case the the boards can slide around to centre the tubes in the holes in the top of the case properly.
- Spray paint the top to hide scratches.
- Move transformer to another box and make up a whacking great cable to link it to the amp (from the limited listening test, I'm pretty sure I have transformer hum).
- Drill and wire headphone socket (using a temp. solution at the moment; waiting for the postie to bring the proper one).
- Decide what to do with NFB pot; I'm debating whether to stick it on the front, or just leave it flopping on the premise that I only have to set it once (second option being easier to implement
wink.gif
).
- Depending on quality of spray job, decide whether insulating bushings are necessary.

Wow this goes on and on and on now that I've written it all down...!

I anticipate it finished and in my bay window on Tuesday. Maybe. Hopefully.

Apr 3, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #3,338 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I completed the 5mA 6922 bias mod to my Bijou.

Here are the changes:

EZ81 tube
JJ ECC99's for V2
R2 - 487 ohm (1/4W)
R3 - 30K ohm (2W)
R5,R6,R7 - 10K ohm (1W)

You can only use the ECC99+EZ81 combo with this mod, I think the 6N6P's use too much current. The EZ80 probably doesn't have enough power.

I came up with this mod based on the fact that the 6N6P's use close to 10 mA more current than the ECC99's. This gave the extra power available for the 6922's which were running 1.5 mA's.

So, I continue to rough out the mods and such for the Bijou. In regards to regal's mods, would it do me any good to use EZ81 with the 6N6P tubes that came with the Glass Jar kit?
And actually, would the EZ81 even work correctly with the 6N6P? After digging around, I think it would but I should ask first.

(I should probably just do the complete regal mod, right? haha)

Thanks!

EDIT: Gah! Just found the answer (leave it to me) from runeight: "...I have recommended to JRossel that any Bijou kit that goes out with 6N6Ps should also go out with EZ81s for the rectifiers."

Good. Onward!

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #3,340 of 4,278
Welcome, particleman! I'm not sure if you've read through this thread, but you're getting involved in a really great amp. Have fun!

Apr 4, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #3,345 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by particleman14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ya I did.. thanks a bunch for that. is ur gamma 2 100% now? mines almost there..

Nope, I'm listening to the gamma-1 sections until I make the mouser order for the bijou. There are 3 possible parts that could've went wrong, its around what, 30 dollars worth of parts? -_- Anyways, I guessed I've learned never to finish a project late at night. I'm not going to do that with the bijou; especially with lethal voltage on this one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back